PDA

View Full Version : Fishless cycle

alsbeth
03-08-2003, 04:22 AM
Hi there,just wanted to know ,when doing a fishless cycle is there an advantage/disadvantage,if you have your ph above 7 or below etc.If the ph is below 7 doesn't the NH3 become NH4 and does this make a difference ? thanks Alsbeth

Ardan
03-08-2003, 07:13 AM
HI,
If the ph is below 7 (more acidic) it does slow down bacteria reproduction, so it may take a bit longer for the cycle to complete.

hth

Discusgeo
03-08-2003, 09:07 AM
Alsbeth you might want tp raed the article in the Library. It may answer all your questions.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=10;action=display;threadid=5807

RAWesolowski
03-12-2003, 01:25 AM
Alsbeth,

I presume that you are referring to the transition of ammonium to ammoniua?

ChienHsu
03-17-2003, 11:40 AM
Hi!

I am currentyly doing the fishless cycling for my tank. I just found that the water of my tank is getting cloudy after nitrite spiked. Is it normal?

Chien

Ardan
03-17-2003, 06:42 PM
HI Chien,
Yes the water can get cloudy as the bacteria multiply to use up the nitrite. Should settle out soon. The nitrite portion of the cycle can take a couple wks. but if it peaked should be within a wk.

hth

ChienHsu
03-18-2003, 10:04 AM
Dear Ardan:

Thanks. I have another question. Since the fishless cycle will be ended soon, I can then start to stock my discus. I am planning to add salt regularly (probably 1 tbsp/10 gallon) to minimize the possible diseases. I am just wondering that will salt kill the fishless cycle?

Thanks

Chien

Ardan
03-18-2003, 06:54 PM
Hi,
I would not add salt regularly. It is not necessary and actually the fish do not need it. Only when stressed or fungused. WHen stressed it helps the gills function better and helps with osmotic pressure. SOme fungus can be killed if the salt concentration is high enough.

I would use the salt at 2 tblsp/ 10 gal for the first few days to help the discus settle in or if the nitrite goes up a bit as the cycle readjusts to the fish.
Salt can help with some diseases, but if used regularly may loose some effectiveness.
After the fishless cycle do a big water change as "nitrates" may be high. then continue to feed the bacteria ammonia until the fish come in, otherwise the bacteria will starve and die.

hth