PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy in Kentucky?

Skittyfish
03-08-2003, 01:01 PM
I have been debating whether or not to buy Discus for many months now. I have a 72 gallon bowfront tank. It is fairly heavily planted and will have CO2 injection added in the next week. We have very soft water >2 d/kh and 2d/gh. My pH presently jumps all over, so I have added crushed coral to raise kh and pH and the CO2 will lower pH and stabilize it hopefully at 6.6-6.8.

My basic question is where should I get Discus from? My LFS has offered to order them for me, but I will not really get to pick them out as I will have to pick them up just as soon as the are delivered. There is a Petsmart within a 2 hr drive that does have Discus, but as of now I do not know the price or how they look.

I have read quite a bit and am still waiting until I have all of the information to make my decision, so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Carol_Roberts
03-08-2003, 01:40 PM
Have you looked in the "Hobbiest/Event locater" section for fellow Kentuckians? I know we have some folks on the board from your state. It is always fun to meet fellow hobbiests and see their discus.

Another option in to purchase from a reputable breeder/importer. At the top of this page you will see Cary Strong's Great Lakes Discus banner alternating with Jeff's Discus Farm.US. If you go through the last couple of weeks posts you will see discus other members have purchased from them. At the bottom of this page is an alternating banner for Al Johnson's Rocky Mountain Discus and Oliver Lucanus' Below Water Wild Discus.

Read through their websites, look at the pictures, give them a call. They love to talk discus. In fact Jeff was on our chat last night and Cary and Jeff were both on chat the time before when I was on.

These guys can ship to your airport or even to your door. With a reputable breeder you start off with properly cared for, healthy discus that haven't been languishing in a too cold tank with no water changes and who knows what for tank mates.

steve s
03-08-2003, 06:51 PM
The ones Carol pointed out,or mike Wells, wattley are some
ones that many people on this forum have purchased
from and seem very pleased ;D ;D
Be carefull :'( just because some sellers post on this
forum does not mean they are honest or sell great
fish.
Make sure to post a note with the sellers info on simply,
and ask others to email you their dealings with the
seller.

HTH
Steve

Skittyfish
03-08-2003, 07:54 PM
Thanks, for your replies, it is really nice to have somewhere to go to get information.

discusnovice
03-09-2003, 08:31 PM
There is a good breeder in Bloomington, Ind. that I recently purchased some beautiful discus from. Rainforest Discus
[ www.rfidiscus.com ] They were even better than I was expecting. He shipped them to me via UPS overnight and they arrived alive and well. He has some beautiful fish ($20.00) on his site and was very helpful to talk to. Check out his site and give him a call or drive up to Bloomington and pick your own.