PDA

View Full Version : litres to gallon conversion

Karen
03-09-2003, 12:32 AM
Hi,

Last night I recieved 2 new Discus that I purchased a couple of weeks ago. Today I noticed that the smaller of the two has what I think might be fin rot. The tail fin was looking white yesterday, but I did not look too closely as I had only put them in the quarantine tank and wanted things quiet around them for the night. But today the tail fin actually started to fall away and I noticed that the pectoral fins are looking very ragged. The other Discus's fins are slightly ragged but hardly noticable.

I'm treating it as if it is fin rot to be on the safe side and I have already put in the Melafix. But I'm not sure how much salt to put in. In the article I just read "Fin rot spreading fast "Help" Cary has suggested 5 tablespoons per gallon of salt. As I'm a litres girl I'm wondering how much salt to use. My tank holds 52-60 litres of water.

I know this question probably seems silly and has probably been answered before but I'm not sure on the conversion of litres to gallons. Could someone please help me?

Thanks

Karen

03-09-2003, 01:23 AM
Hi Karen,

To make it easy here is a conversion site.

http://www.totacc.com/user/rdoyle/coversio.htm

Just typ in the # and then click outside the box.
Using enter does not work.

HTH Ronald

Karen
03-09-2003, 01:44 AM
Thanks Ronald,

I have a 40 gallon tank. No rephrase that: I have a tank that holds 40 gallons.

So 200 tablespoons of salt is not too much?

Thanks

03-09-2003, 01:46 AM
HuH ???

Ronald

Karen
03-09-2003, 01:50 AM
Sorry about that, but I know what I mean.

If Cary says 5 tablespoons of salt per gallon 5 x 40 = 200tablespoons of salt.

Or put it another way: How much salt should I add to a 40 gallon tank to help with fin rot? (I am also using Melafix).

Hey! I'm new at this and part blonde.

Karen

03-09-2003, 01:54 AM
Oh I see " 5 tbs per gal."

Does not sound right to me either.
Maybe someone can clear this up.

Ronald

03-09-2003, 01:57 AM
Sorry Karen but I did not see that first with the 5 per Gal :-[

60 liter should be about 16 us gal.

I did not treat for fin rot yet so I wouldent know.

But I am sure some can help you here soon.

Ronald

Carol_Roberts
03-09-2003, 01:59 AM
Wait, thats a lot of salt. Let's make sure you have a 40 gallon tank. What are the dimensions of your tank? I thought 40 liters was 10 gallons? Let me check further . . .

Carol_Roberts
03-09-2003, 02:04 AM
15 gallons = 57 liters

Put in 4 or 5 tablespoons of salt. That equals 3 tablespoons per 10 gallons. That is plenty of salt until you know what you are treating.

Carol_Roberts
03-09-2003, 02:08 AM
That's a small tank. What is your water change regimen? I've not had much luck with Melafix. What type of filter do you have, what else is in the tank?

Karen
03-09-2003, 02:14 AM
Hi Carol,

Not your standard 4' but the dimensions are: 4' x 11.5" x 17". I'ts bare bottom, etc and I when I did a total water change a couple of months back I took note of how much water went in. It was 152 litres.

Maybe I misread the amount of salt on the thread: "Fin Rot Spreading Fast "Help"

"Called Cary.
Used Melafix + 5 tblsp/gal salt. 50% wc/day.* Add salt and Melafix to replacement water. Did this for 10 days. Temp 90F. Kept tank very clean (wipe sides, no gravel)
Worked great, even for one that the pectoral fin was almost gone on."

Thought it seemed a lot and it wasn't actually Cary who posted this.

Thanks

Karen

PS: I havn't put any salt in as yet.

Karen
03-09-2003, 02:20 AM
Nothing else is in the tank, except for 2 heaters and 1 sponge filter (I use 2 but one is always in the plastic bin for aging. I still have that problem with the Nitrite in the tap water. Thought it was fixed yesterday but it was back today. I try to do at least 30% water change each day, but this depends on how long it takes to get rid of nitrite in the aging water. Just bought some "Cycle" to see if this makes the process quicker than every 2 days.

Hope this makes sense.

Karen
03-09-2003, 02:24 AM
PS: I also have an external Rena Filstar XP2 filter. Set up for biological filtration. Must admit though - not happy with this filter as when I clean it out and start running it again it blows stuff back in the tank. (I do the water change after this has settled)

03-09-2003, 02:56 AM
Wow...lots of confusion on this thread ;D

Just to confirm....yes, with the dimentions you gave for your tank...its a 40 gal tank.
I havent gone through the "other" thread....and dont want to speak for....or correct Cary, or whoever stated 5tbsp/gal BUT...I believe it was a typo. It probably should have read /10gals.

As for the melafix...it works. But so does clean water and salt ;D

Tony

Karen
03-09-2003, 03:08 AM
It did get a bit confusing, didn't it?

;D

Never mind, I actually worked out what it all meant. I did think that the dosage might have been a typo, that's why I asked the question. Thanks for everyone helping me. I love these fish and I try to do what is right for them. And this site is one of the best I've come across. Better than books for quick answers. The only trouble I have with this site is that I tend to stay on it all day, when I'm meant to be doing other work. It is so absorbing, and there is so much info.

Love it

Karen

Ardan
03-09-2003, 09:24 AM
My Typo! ::)

Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I corrected it. Good thing you asked and all the knowledgeable people here helped. 8)

Thanks

03-09-2003, 01:17 PM
I feel with you Karen

After learnde and using the metric system for 30 years I cot a bit confused too at the beginn.

Ronald ;D

Karen
03-12-2003, 04:10 AM
Thanks everyone, I hope that I have the finrot under control but I suppose I will find out in a week or so. What a bummer!

Karen

jamesmcsyd
03-14-2003, 08:42 PM
Karen,

When I first came on here I got confused with the conversion thing. Like most of the world, we use litres. Some European countries, like the UK still use gallons, but to confuse everything, Americans use 'US gallons'. It's a nightmare. I know this may sound harsh, but it would make it alot easier for all of us when Americans posted info they said 'US gallons' instead of just 'gallons'. I'm sure there are some conversion/calculation threads on this, and if anyone knows of one, a post would be very much appreciated!

James

jamesmcsyd
03-14-2003, 08:47 PM
oops...sorry, I see that there is a link to a conversion table in this thread, but it still doesn't distinguish between gallons (old UK, europe/Aus/NZ) and US gallons.

james

03-14-2003, 10:05 PM
If someone could post the formulas for those varios Gallon conversions that also might clear it up a bit.

Ronald

Ardan
03-14-2003, 10:15 PM
Hi,
Maybe these formulas posted by SLy will help

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=10;action=display;threadid=1348
hth

03-14-2003, 10:22 PM
Which reminds me of looking in the Library once and a while might be a real good idea.

Thanks Ardan ;D

Ronald

shamsoo
03-14-2003, 11:47 PM
divide liters by 3.8 you will get USgallons, divide by 4.5 = british gal
HTH

BlueTurquoise
03-21-2003, 01:01 AM
Wow 2 pages of conversion tips!

I always rely on

http://convert.french-property.co.uk/

It has US as well as British galons, length, weight and temperature! it's just easier for me. Formulas! argghhh! No formulas please!! ;D

Chong