PDA

View Full Version : cracked tank

henryD
03-10-2003, 11:11 AM
Bought a used 55 gallon tank with a stand. Cost around $40.00. It did not come with a hood so I made my own with a few run at Home depot.

I had a wedding to attend this weekend so I did not get a chance to put everything into place til sunday.

I finally moved everyone from the 20 gallon to the 55. In the process of washing it. I smacked one of the corner. So now the tank is cracked. Does anyone know if it is repairable or what the proper way of disposing of a tank is? This is the first tank I have to throw away... :'(

In the past I had leaky tank but always repaired them.

On the bright side I can always go tank shopping again. I am sure my wife would love that.....

03-10-2003, 12:07 PM
Glass tank is very easy to replace. Fix it with a big hammer. Cover your tank with a piece of clothes before smashing it. Clean out the glass and old silicone with a box cutter or knife. Cut a piece of glass and glue it with 100% silicone. Let it dry for a week and it will be as good as new. Sometime it can be repaired depending on the condition of the crack. It's easier to change it. Takes only 30 mins.
Jimmy.

Miles
03-10-2003, 02:47 PM
Repair to a glass tank indeed very simple.
1. Remove trim from tank.
2. Cut silicone out from broken piece.
3. Remove broken glass.
4. Have new piece of glass cut to the same size of piece removed.
5. Clean glass with acetone.
6. Put new glass in and silicone glass and trim.
7. Wait 24-36 hours for silicone to cure.
8. Rinse WELL and fill 1/4 at a time with 4 hours span in between each 1/4 filling.

HTH & Good Luck
Miles

Mat
03-10-2003, 04:39 PM
Buy a new one if finances allow, if i repaired a tank id worry about it but thats just me.

henryD
03-10-2003, 05:06 PM
Well considering it is only a 20 gallon tank it maybe cheaper to buy a new one...

Not sure I will have to look into it..

Aquarius
03-10-2003, 06:37 PM
If it is the 20 gallon tank, IMO it isn't worth your time to fix. Give it to someone for a hampster cage or something. Even a 55 isn't worht my time atleast. They only cost 80-100 bucks for a new one..