PDA

View Full Version : Nitrites?

Desertdrifter
03-10-2003, 09:39 PM
I am seting up a new tank, my amonia finally went down and now I have my nitrites are way up ,witch I expeced.How long does it normaly take for them to go down.I was going to pick up 12 discus in about 10 days. TANK INFO: 150 gallons.ph 6.5, temp 86 F., 1 fluval 404 ,1 wet dry with bio balls that are supposed to filter 150 Gallons., 0 amonia.,ithas been set up for just over 1 month.

Ralph
03-10-2003, 11:42 PM
Welcome to Simply.
Is it a fishless cycle that you are doing?

There are too many variables to give an exact date but spiking nitrites is a good sign. You can plot the reading on a graph over time. You end up with a bell curve that can be used to estimate completion. Ten days is a possibility but probably optimistic. Do you have an alternative tank available?

It is possible to keep nitrites to acceptable levels by using major WCs, but on a 150 gal tank, it's a big job. Monitor nitrite levels and on the ninth day, if you still have unacceptable readings, do a major WC and then keep a close eye on levels after you put your new fish in.

Desertdrifter
03-11-2003, 12:02 AM
I do not have another tank set up yet . I hope to start a quarintine(sp.)tank soon.I am planning a trip to pick up my fish I guess if its no ready Ill put off my trip.I have not been doing large water changes because I thought it would speed up the break in. is this thinking wrong? THANKS!

Desertdrifter
03-11-2003, 12:07 AM
PS:it is not a fishless cycle .I put in a few mollies that died from amonia shock. for the first week I put a big chunk of frozen fish to rot now I have a few algea eater in.

Ralph
03-11-2003, 12:08 AM
No, you are doing the right thing by not doing WCs. What I was talking about had to do with the worst case scenario of putting discus in a partially cycled tank. You are fine and having the option to delay the fish pickup is the best thing you can do. Breeders and sellers understand the situation.

Good luck and show us your fish when they get settled in.

Aquarius
03-11-2003, 01:33 AM
IMO, I'd do a w/c now if there is fish in there and the nitrites have spikes.

Chris-C
03-11-2003, 07:14 PM
The nitrites can take longer than the ammonia to come down. When I first set up my tank I did a fishless cycle to completion wating for the nitrated to spike before doing a water change and adding the fish. However after a few days the nitrites rose again. Salt at 1tablespoon/gallon helps protect them against the spike and also water changes. the fish did fine until the nitrites read zero.

Chris

Carol_Roberts
03-12-2003, 02:39 AM
Erm . . . I think this is the first time I've heard of anyone cycling a tank in quite this manner. . . . " I put a big chunk of frozen fish (in the tank) to rot" . . . . :o . . . . I mean technically it will work, but what about the esthetics . . .

Desertdrifter
03-12-2003, 09:29 PM
I hadnt thought of adding ammonia from a bottle or I would have done it that way. I used some sturgeon bait that I had been saving ,seemed like a good idea at the time. It was gross. I kept Discus for many years but its been a while so I guess I am a beginner again. I got sick and couldnt take care of them .I had babies and adults that died, at least I made it :) so I am back in the hobby with a vengence.thanks in advance for every ones help and patience!!!!!