PDA

View Full Version : Empty Tank Syndrome

tyrancooper
03-10-2003, 10:07 PM
Hi everybody,

Is there such a thing as Empty Tank Syndrome? How does one emotionally separate from fish after taking care of them from the time they hatch? Here's why I want to know:

Two months before I purchased my first juvenile discus, I set up a separate 35 gallon tank with West African fish. Included in this tank was a pair of Kribensis...

My first brood hatched in July of 2002 and today, after months of pampering- from turkey baster feedings with the parents, to RO water and live food, I decided they were big enough to be "put up for adoption". In all, I took about 40 kribensis on a one hour trip to my favorite LFS and left them to wait for new homes. :-\

I knew it had to be done. Two more broods have been produced since they first arrived. I was running out of tanks space and the oldest fry were cramped and bickering. But now I've got two three smaller tanks standing empty and I feel kind of sad. :'(

Discus Breeders,

Did anyone feel this way when sending off your first brood of fry? Have you ever become to fond of/attached to your fish? Do you ever wonder if they will be well cared for? Is it odd for me to feel this way???? Breeding fish for money is not my intention. If I ever get my discus to mate successfully how can I increase my chances of finding good homes for them?

Tyra

brewmaster15
03-11-2003, 12:10 AM
Tyra,
Congratulations! Breeding those fish didn't make you lose you love of the hobby. If you could just drop them off without a second thought about them, you'd have lost something important to the hobbyist.

I miss every set of fry i sell, Its only natural to get attached. I usually keep far more offspring from a spawn Than I should, just because I have a hard time putting them for adoption too.

In a way...its why I can never see myself as a commercial Breeder. ..But I think even these guys have some favorite spawns that they hate to part with.

-al

tyrancooper
03-11-2003, 09:27 AM
Thanks, Al

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Tyra

dm
03-12-2003, 06:36 PM
I had to send some off to the lfs recently and had a hard time. If mine ever get fry I don't know if I could cull. I certainly couldn't let me girlfriend know if I did. I really don't know how people do it. They are like part of the family.