PDA

View Full Version : Filteration

thepretender
03-11-2003, 12:18 AM
Hello. I am looking to buy a filter.i have been thing about the Eheim model 2126 thermofilter or the Eheim model 2227 wet/dry canister filter.
1.Dose any body have one of those filters.
2.Is that a good filter
3.is the wet/dry better than the other
THANKS FOR THE HELP

BlueTurquoise
03-11-2003, 12:29 AM
Hey there,

How big is the tank? How many fish are we talking about? Juvenile or adults? are you quite strict with cleaning of filters?

Do you have plants? Wet/dry is no good for planted tanks as it strips the water of carbon dioxide. You may have to inject C02 to compensate.

Honestly for the price, I would buy 1 or 2 AquaClear 500 filters. Cheap, easy to clean and very effective. The main reason that I frown upon regarding cannisters is price and being hard to clean.

Chong

Aquarius
03-11-2003, 01:30 AM
Eheim wet/dry is designed to run for 4-6 months before cleaning, IMO
I got one with a tank purchase awhile back, and use it for my saltwater,
have had no problems with it and sure it is atleast 4 years old.

IMO wouldn't make a great filter for a discus tank, though it all depands I guess.
It is more for Biological filter and thats all

Chris-C
03-11-2003, 07:29 PM
I've used Eheims in the past, but dont remember which models. I use aquaclears now and feel they are much easier to use and maintain

Chris

lkleung007
03-11-2003, 08:13 PM
Hi,

I have to agree with Chris, you can't beat a combination of Aquaclear power filter and Hydrosponge filters!!

HTH, Lester

thepretender
03-11-2003, 10:27 PM
Well Chong
I have a 55 Gallon tank
fish i dont have yet just reading right now but will buy 10 juveniles
i will clean the filters every 2 weeks
yes my tank will have plants
THANKS

thepretender
03-11-2003, 10:31 PM
What is the best canster filter for a discus? I wont my filter hidden.Not on back of the tank. thanks for all yalls help

Tony
03-11-2003, 10:47 PM
as big as possible (both water flow and media capacity) .... for the same money you paid for eheim, you can get a huge canister made by folks like via aqua (sort of clone eheim) and load it up with what ever you think is the best filter media mix.

easy to disassemble and prime....

one last thing, don't put all eggs in the same basket. Run 2 filtration systms in the same tank. e.g. run air sponge togather with canister or run 2 canister (for a big tank) or ugf togather with canister...

on the other hand with the amount of wc you do with discus tank... the filtration is not that critical

note: I never own a eheim. but I am reasonable happy with the via aqua... (I have sechem, fluval...) I have no problem with the el cheapo canister. But do open up to check the quality of plastic and fittings.

if you can afford, a wet dry setup (not the eheim one) with proper over flow.... drilling the tank is probably the best....

jamesmcsyd
03-12-2003, 02:26 AM
My advice is to to not use the cannister. But if you do, do it for for bio filtration, but put a sponge on the intake tube for easy mechanical cleaning, and also use a aquaclear with a intake sponge too.

James

thepretender
03-12-2003, 07:13 AM
thanks yall