PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy tank

Baltazar
03-11-2003, 11:05 PM
Hello all,
I have had my tank set up for 33 days now and I just did my first water change two days ago. The tank is 75 gallons with wet/dry filter and a hydrosponge. The tank just got cloudy starting yesterday, one day after the first water change. I have almost completed the cycle, ammonia is gone and nitrites have spiked and are now declining. I have goldfish in the tank that I have used through out the cycle. I have purchased my discus and am waiting for my tank to stop acting crazy before I pick them up. Any advice from the experts?
Bob

keith_cny
03-11-2003, 11:46 PM
Yeah! Post some pictures of your fish when you get them! Congrats, good luck and have fun!

oh yeah...also..
1. Check Ph of water where you get them (compare to yours)
2. Check what the breeder was feeding them. Watch them eat before you bring them home. Try to pick the ones that look and eat the best if you can.
3. Do lots of water changes and watch params and fish closely

Keith

Ryan
03-12-2003, 01:20 AM
Goldfish are coldwater fish and put off a lot of waste. The biggest concern is whether or not your goldfish were disease-free -- it not, they could spread something along to your discus, even after you remove them.

Once the goldfish are gone and your filters are cycled, crank up the heat to 88F or so before bringing the discus home, wipe down the inside glass on the tank, and do a large water change of 75% or so.

JMO.

Ryan

Carol_Roberts
03-12-2003, 01:49 AM
The cloudiness you see may be a bacaterial bloom - common in newly cycled tank. It should clear in a few days on it's own.

jamesmcsyd
03-12-2003, 02:22 AM
Remeber to quarantine your discus and vigilantely observe. Learn the tell tale signs of two common nasties, flukes and internal flagelletes.

james

discuswannabe
03-12-2003, 12:36 PM
And what are the tell tale signs of flukes and internal flagelletes?? ???

Baltazar
03-12-2003, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the pointers folks. I will let you know how it goes in a few days.
I have my tank at 86 degrees now..... the goldfish acclimated to it. My girlfriend just went to buy a little tank for the kitchen to house the goldfish I am booting from the tank. I knew I could get her hooked!! :P
Bob

Richman
03-12-2003, 11:43 PM
Stop her!!!!!!

No little tanks!!!!

Tell her to buy one a bit larger. Just in case she tires of the goldfish. Then you will have another tank you can use for discus. ;D Never miss out on an opportunity.!

Aquarius
03-13-2003, 12:27 AM
IMO, Goldfish need just as much water as Discus! At least 10G per fish.
They really can be great fish, if housed right.

dm
03-13-2003, 08:16 AM
Aquarius is correct. Goldfish need a lot of room being a messy fish. Some people keep goldfish in a bowl but this is not at all what is good for the fish. They need plenty of room. Save the smaller tanks for Bettas IMO.

Mat
03-13-2003, 01:35 PM
Just a short note have you used a ph buffer? these can temporarily cloud the tank

Baltazar
03-14-2003, 12:11 AM
I havent used a ph buffer. I use 80/20 R.O. mix.
She went and got a 12 gallon eclipse tank. It has the bio wheel filter built into the hood, but I can tell she is going to upgrade. She is talking about getting a hexagon tank now.
THanks again folks
Bob :)

jim_shedden
03-14-2003, 08:10 AM
Bob : every once in awhile my 90 gallon turns cloudy and as carrol said it is a bacterial bloom. I just do lots of water changes and after awhile (sometimes 2 weeks) it goes away.

JIm

95jeepxj
03-16-2003, 11:43 PM
I havent used a ph buffer. I use 80/20 R.O. mix.
She went and got a 12 gallon eclipse tank. It has the bio wheel filter built into the hood, but I can tell she is going to upgrade. She is talking about getting a hexagon tank now.
THanks again folks

If she likes the eclipse style with the built in filter she would really like the via aqua tanks. If it isn't set up yet I would take it back. You can get the via aqua from 10 gal up to 150 gal very nice tanks.

jake