PDA

View Full Version : Discus Laying Eggs on Plants

Ekar_Ogrit
03-12-2003, 11:25 AM
How many of you guys have the problem of Discus constantly Breeding on your plant leaves. I wouldn't be so bad, but mine breed about twice a week it seems like. They get to the wriggler stage and then move them around to other leaves. Makes for a lot of beat up leaves. Then again, maybe I should shut up and not complain about my dicus breeding all the time :o

Ekar

Ralph
03-12-2003, 12:02 PM
Yea, that is a problem many people would like to have.

Do you have driftwood or other potential egg laying sites in your tank? I have heard of the egg laying on sword leaves but I wouldn't say that it is common. In the wild, as I understand it, they breed during the inundation in the flood plains. Some of the plants there keep their leaves even underwater and sometimes the discus use them as egg laying sites.

How are the babies doing? Is it a community tank? Mine laid eggs the other day and I put a tank divider inbetween the discus and the community. I don't know if it's necessary though.

thebaglady
03-12-2003, 12:38 PM
Ekar...that doesn't seem like a problem. That sounds like a good thing, a natural thing. Slate, terra cotta and PVC seem like the "unnatural"

But I have no experience here. I will be getting my first discus babies in less than a month though. I'm SOO excited!

I got a plants recently that seems like its suitable for laying cichlid eggs on. A "special blue" stricta. Anybody have experience with this one as related to spawning???

Ekar_Ogrit
03-12-2003, 03:22 PM
Community tank, so the babies get munched when they become free swimming. :(

Ralph
03-13-2003, 04:03 PM
This morning I had a pair lay on a sword plant. I like this better than the filter intake anyways. The two are very young though and I doubt the eggs are viable. The last bunch got eaten after two days, but they took good care of them until that point. I was glad to know I have a pair because I wasn't sure until that point. I'll try to take a photo tonight.