PDA

View Full Version : Are my discus too low to the ground ?

Russ
03-13-2003, 04:45 AM
I just purchased 10 juvenile discus, and 3 are about 1 inch bigger then the rest, so I just put them into my 20 gallon quarinteen tank so they won't stunt the smaller fishes growth, the quaninteen tank is on the bottom of my tank stand around 8" from the ground, is this too low or we they get used to it ?

Russ

zzbruinzz
03-13-2003, 04:52 AM
hey russ,
from what i noticed or read, discus do better when they tanks are higher, but i guess they can get used to the movement or shadows from down there. IMO, they tend to be less frightened and skittish when the tank is placed higher. my 60 is on a low stand and the fish seem to get frightened a lot easier than fish in my 40 which is at eye level.

Aquatic_Design
03-13-2003, 10:21 AM
Russ,
I have racks of tanks in my fishroom (aka garage). The lowest tank is 4" off the ground. I put my growouts in the lower tanks. They get used to it pretty quickly. Mine don't even seem to mind when one of my Jack Russell Terriers tries to go for a swim.The only discus I don't put on the low racks are breeders. They do prefer to be higher.
HTH
Donna :)

jim_shedden
03-14-2003, 08:16 AM
Russ : I try to keep my tanks up at eye level.....which is probably a little higher than most. I have found that on lower tanks the fish are more skittish and I beleive it is because they see 2 legs moving in different directions and this startles them. When the tanks are higher they are looking at your upper body...........less erratic movement. I think , anyway................I may be wrong though........ ;D