PDA

View Full Version : Freezing Flake

saints27
03-13-2003, 06:51 PM
Just a quick Question
I have started to buy my Flake in 2.5 Kg drums and was told the best way to keep it fresh was to put it in zip lock bags and freeze it , Can anyone confirm this?????

Jamie

Mr.Coates
09-08-2003, 10:59 PM
That is a good question becouse I buy a lot a one time to.
Anybody ;D

Tad
09-08-2003, 11:15 PM
Saints,
I would think that the dry flake would draw moisture in the freezer ???....IMO it would be better to use vacuum packing.

Regards,
Tad

knobby
09-09-2003, 12:36 AM
it may not draw moisture in the freezer

but it certainly would when you took it out
sounds like a bad idea to me

I like tads idea of vacuum packing much better

brewmaster15
09-09-2003, 09:48 AM
Hi,
Vaccum is great but The refrigerator is fine too. zip lock bag it, force out the air. and if you want extraprotection.. You can buy dessicating gels or reuse the dessicant that most bulk dry foods have added... The best and cheapest is to save the gel dessicants that are found in New shoes boxes :)

Keep a portion of food out for a week or two at room temp. Store the rest cold....but take it out and let it come to room temp before openning the bag.... This will take up to a day depending on the type of food. Once at room temp..open and take out afew weeks worth again, re-close and store cold.

Hth,
al

fishfarm
09-09-2003, 10:03 AM
I buy flake food 20 lb at a time and toss it into the freezer. Been doing it for years with no problem. I also freeze pellets and brine shimp eggs. Ken

brewmaster15
09-09-2003, 10:10 AM
Hi ken,
With all your fish I would not have thought 20 lbs would last long to be stored! How long does something like that last you?

as a side note.. I store my brine shrimp eggs in the freezer also. Until I open the can. once open I do not re freeze. taking it out cold causes moisture to condense and mositure lowers subsequent hatch rates.

hth,
al