PDA

View Full Version : conductivity umoh/cm vs. ms

ReeferKimberly
03-13-2003, 07:24 PM
i found out my tap water conductivity but it is umoh/cm insted of MS....what is umoh/cm? is there a diff. it is 77umoh/cm...
thanks, kim :-*

Ardan
03-13-2003, 08:09 PM
HI,
I believe its the same thing, so you have 77 ms. The way its stated there is just the long way of stating it.

here is a link with a ton of formulas and descriptions
http://global.horiba.com/story_e/conductivity/conductivity_02.htm

hth

ReeferKimberly
03-14-2003, 03:58 AM
thank you, that's what i wanted to hear. yay it's low just like i thought. here's another question, for growing out fry what would i need to add to boost the conductivity? someone mentioned maybe some RO right b/c they need higher conductivity for grow-out..is this true?
thanks, kim :-*

Steve_Warner
03-14-2003, 04:20 AM
Hi all,
Kim, "micromho"(umho) is the same as "microseimens"(uS), as they are both 1 millionth of a Mho and gives an indication of the purity of the water body. It is a measurement of the water's ability to conduct(mho) an electric current as opposed to resist(ohm) current. Think of conduct=Mho....resist=Ohm <---------inverse of each other. The lower the conductance reading, the more pure the water body is.
Now, as far as the mineral content for growing out fry, you could use some store bought products or you could make your own mix. There is Calcium(vitamins, antacids, etc.) and Magnesium(Epsom salts) readily available in your neighborhood store for a lot less than LFS' or you could put some crushed coral (pure Calcium Carbonate) in your filter to dissolve in the water. It just depends on what you want and how much work you are willing to do. Just some thoughts for ya.

Steve

P.S- I'm jealous of your tap water, as it is very good for our fishies. Mine conducts at about 850uS :o

ReeferKimberly
03-16-2003, 05:40 PM
thank you for your replies,
i will probly just have an empty 10 gallon (or maybe 20) with only water and crushed coral to add for water changes. I have a bunch of the stuff b/c i used to use it with africans to raise the ph. yes, i was very surprised to find out my water was exemplory for discus and relieved that they were not not breeding b/c of the water but maybe b/c of age, or something else.
kim :-*