PDA

View Full Version : SFB Frozen foods

AndyL
03-13-2003, 08:39 PM
Hey folks,

Today I found out my supplier of frozen foods (the only LPS that carries them) changed suppliers. No more Hikari frozen foods. They brought in San Francisco bay instead... And of course, raised the price by a good 40%.

Needing bloodworms and frozen brine anyway, I bought some. Since then, I've been informed by someone more knowledgeable than me, that people have had problems with bacteria due to the foods...

So my question is, are these fears real, speculation or urban myth?

Andy

rsawest
03-26-2003, 09:20 AM
IME,

The Hikari products have always been of better quality. The only SFB product I use, rarely at that, is their BH.

IMO, SFB had a very good reputation. I remember as a kid, my Dad would buy big blocks of SFB brine shrimp. It was nicely frozen and had a nice reddish color, an indication of its freshness and quality.

HTH

brewmaster15
03-26-2003, 09:24 AM
Hi Andy,

I use SFB brand brine shrimp and marine cuisine. I do not use their blood worms....the rest of my frozens are hikari and ocean nutrition.---buy them on line... it'll seem like a bunch of money at once , but it can save you some cash!and time.

hth,
al

Surfghost63
03-26-2003, 04:55 PM
Hello Andy.

I don't have any experience with Hikari, but IMO San Fco. Bay is a safe brand, I've been feeding their frozen bloodworms without a problem.

HTH,

Bill :guitarist:

discusnovice
03-29-2003, 09:48 PM
I have been feeding Hakari blood worms for a couple of months and ran out last week and had to buy SF brand. The quality is inferior to Hakari and the fish do not eat it nearly as well.

Before the Hakari would not hit the bottom and now they all hit the bottom but they do come along and eat it but only as a last resort.

I really like the California Black Worms but you have to be careful or they will turn up theri noses at everything else.

Novice

Mr.Trips
04-01-2003, 10:59 AM
Well I buy mostly everything online, and you can get the Hikari at this site
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/sc_view.cfm?siteid=6&pCatId=8884

It will cost a little more to ship, because its froze, but I would either stock up or share the cost with a local friend!

DiscusNovice, lets get some, split shipping with you!

Aquatic_Design
04-01-2003, 02:06 PM
Mr. Trips,
If you buy frozen food from Foster & Smith it is only $19.99 to ship any amount overnight.
I just got a very large order from them. It came in 6 boxes and was frozen solid. They even shipped another box 2 weeks later at no charge to me because the item was backordered.
I ordered Hikari BW, mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, ONF 1, ONF VHP, Lifeline carnivore red, Red Shred, & herbivore minced.
I am very pleased with everything including the service.
Donna :)

Mr.Trips
04-01-2003, 03:14 PM
Well I was wondering about that, and am glad someone has had good experience with Frozen Food Shipped to them. I know now where to get my Frozen Hikari!

Rick00
04-01-2003, 06:01 PM
Just click on the black worm banner at the top of the page.....dan now sells frozen blood worm.....i just ordered from him last week.....i bought 13 lbs of hakari blood worms and mysis shrimp.....came in frozen solid....

Rick

Aquatic_Design
04-01-2003, 10:59 PM
Rick,
Can you tell us how much the shipping cost?
Donna :)