PDA

View Full Version : Heater Placement in Aging Barrel

Discmaniac
03-13-2003, 09:49 PM
I was wondering how to attach a long heater to my aging barrel. Presently I am using a Whisper heater attached to an upside down glass pie plate laying on the bottom of the barrel. The problem is that this heater will only heat the water to 80 degrees F so I tried putting a 250 watt Ebo into the bottom but it's longer than the diameter of the barrel at the bottom. The Ebo suction cups will not adhere to the plastic on the side of the barrel and stay there.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,
Bill

darcy
03-13-2003, 10:41 PM
I just throw my heater in a few inches off the bottom and leave it hangin there!! There is not much action in my barrel so it can't break. I don't know this is just what I do and it works fine for me.
Darcy

Carol_Roberts
03-13-2003, 10:41 PM
Hi Bill:
It would be nice if your storage container was big enough so your heater could lay flat in the bottom. Since it's not you will have to unplug your heater when you are removing or adding water to your storage container. That's a good idea anyway. I plug everything into power strips with on/off switches. You don't want your heater to be really, really hot and then covered with cold water as it may break :o I don't bother with the suction cups.

Discmaniac
03-13-2003, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the replies Darcy and Carol.

Carol, do you let your heater lay on the bottom of the barrel? I was thinking that the plastic would melt and cause a wet floor or flood.

As far as unplugging the heater, I have a ground fault circuit interrupter so I don't get a shock out of life if the heater gets wet inside. I do see your point about adding cold water to a hot heater though. That makes a WHOLE lot of sense.

By the way, how much does a pond pump cost at Wal Mart? I'm getting tired of buckets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,

Bill

dm
03-14-2003, 12:03 AM
I didnt bother with the pond pump. I just bought a small pump online and it works great. It isn't the fastest around but it is dependable and I got it for less than $15 I think at Bigals online.

Carol_Roberts
03-14-2003, 12:30 AM
My heaters all lay in the bottom of the barrel - no problem ;D

Pond pumps at walmart are about $60. You will LOVE using a pump!

jim_shedden
03-14-2003, 08:06 AM
Bill : I have 2 ebo's in a 40 gallon (plastic) drum. They are just lying on the bottom. I only had a problem when I drained the barrel and the heaters were in direct contact with the plastic and there was no water to buffer. I (like Carrol) now have my heaters hooked up on a power bar and I just flip the switch...........it makes it safer also,

Jim

Jeff
03-14-2003, 12:09 PM
I also just leave mine lay on the bottom of the barrel. :)