PDA

View Full Version : Merits of Hydro Sponge Filters

Very Fishy
03-14-2003, 09:51 AM
I currently have a AC300 power filter for my filtration but was wondering what the merits are of Hydro Sponge Filters. I notice that most keepers use the Hydro Sponges. I know Discus do not like lots of water movement created by power filters but are there other things to consider?

April
03-14-2003, 09:55 AM
Id say their both equally as good.
the thing i like about my aquaclears..is i use three sponges in each and if i start a new tank..i take a sponge out and add it to another aq.. and im ready to go.
sometimes i also stick the hydro sponges in the aquaclear then if i have to start a breeding tank i take it out and stick it on its base and im ready.
most of us rely mostly on water changes and the filter just collects dust...and a bit of back up biofilter. they do provide air...more . some bigger tanks i have both.

Ryan
03-14-2003, 10:06 AM
Hi VF,

I use AquaClears and Hydros together. Hydros are excellent biological filters which help to break down harmful ammonia and nitrite in your aquarium. They also remove debris particles and you have to squeeze them out now and then depending on how heavily your tank is stocked. Mine get squeezed out once a week.

Like April said, they are great for "instant cycling" tanks. I keep extra ones running in my current tanks so that if I have to set up a new tank in a hurry, I can just move a Hydro sponge over to the new tank and it's cycled automatically, no waiting for weeks on end.

I think another reason that people like them is because they're efficient but cheap. I love my AquaClears but they're three times as much as Hydros, so I keep a mix of both on my tanks. The AquaClear is good mechanical filtration.

Ryan

Jeff
03-14-2003, 12:07 PM
Well said. For me with the amount of water changes I do the hydro sponge is just a dirt magnet. If you do not do as many changes then it is a different story and it is your savior as it is a great biological filter. ;)

steve s
03-16-2003, 06:08 PM
I have a H/5 spong in a 75 gal, with a peng. 400.
I clean it every two weeks , but it never seems to pick
up much stuff. Have air hose attached spong and airstone
under.
Does yours pick up lots of dirt ?

April
03-16-2003, 06:17 PM
the vacuuming the bottom is what picks up my dirt.....
i also do major water changes . i change 90 percent on most of my tanks. once draining...mays well keep going.