PDA

View Full Version : Will runts grow?

BlueBull
03-15-2003, 01:26 PM
Let's say if I have a runt, will it grow any bigger?
Are runts just fishes that grow slower or stopped growing?

Carol_Roberts
03-15-2003, 03:21 PM
Sometimes a fish whose growth has been stunted from lack of food or proper water conditions will grow a little more. It depends on how old the fish is and how long it was in poor conditions. Generally they never grow as big as they would have- even if later they are kept in optimum conditions

Ardan
03-15-2003, 08:45 PM
Hi,
I have a discus that was a runt, wouldn't grow as fast as anyone else. Well they all got fin/tail rot and the stress from that brought out "Hex" in the runt. I treated with Metro and it is now growing. I don't know if it will catch up to the rest, but I don't think I consider it a runt anymore. SOmetimes internal parasites are a cause of not growing, sometimes its the pecking order and stress, sometimes its genetic. JMO

hth

BlueBull
03-16-2003, 11:12 AM
What is Metro?

Carol_Roberts
03-16-2003, 03:00 PM
Metronidazole. Sold in fish stores as Hex-A-Mit

DIZ
03-16-2003, 06:23 PM
If you keep the runt dont be sad when it never get to be a full grown fish
DIZ

BlueBull
03-17-2003, 08:48 AM
Hi

But Metro should only be used when the fish is sick right?
I won't be sad, but I was just wondering if I can make the runt grow.

DarkDiscus
03-17-2003, 10:02 AM
BlueBull,

I think every single discus keeper has some runt stories to share with you. I have some new fish from Al coming on Saturday and I expect that at least one will end up small, even with my new water change system and multiple change/day routine.

If you get yours to grow, let us know.

John

BlueBull
03-17-2003, 11:33 AM
Well, I'm trying to find ways to make my runt grow.
I'll revert when I get some useful info.

RAWesolowski
03-18-2003, 02:05 AM
Blue,

The runt may be due to genetics, tank conditions, nutrition, disease and/or competition. My first fish was a 2 inch runt and he is now 4 inches after 6 months. Not the "best" shape, he's still a football but I like his coloring and his attitude. Note discus keepers seem to attribute human characteristics to fish just like any other pet owners do to their children.

A couple of suggestions are stimulating growth:

- Minimize competition by understocking the aquarium and by ensuring that the runt is at the top of the size chain

- Improve tank conditions by using a bare bottom tank with frequent water changes with a minimum of RO water

- Bump your temps in the aquarium to 86F to 88F to stimulate metabolism

- Feed high energy, high growth food... think live food (CBW)

If it doesn't work, you tried... the reultsd will be slow but you will notice them.