PDA

View Full Version : Need encouragement

iceskater
03-15-2003, 01:41 PM
I am new to keeping fish. I currently have a 29 gallon tank with an oscar (small) 2 blood parrotts and 4 gouurami's. The parrotts and gourami's are really aggressive.

I want to change over to Discus. I am dong well at keeping my tank clean, in fact, I get screamed at for cleaning it to much. Problem is everyone I talk to about Discus say they are hard to keep, and get me discouraged. I have read alot of posts on this forum and everyone seems so positive.

I have so many questions.

1. What is this forum's opinion on discus and angelfish together?

2. I plan on returning all the fish I have in my tank now to the LFS and starting over with Discus and Angelfish. I want to keep the large gravel and artifical plants in my tank. Once I remove the fish is it ok to remove all the water, plants and gravel, bleach them out and start over with new water? If I do so, will I hae to wait for the tank to cycle again. Or does the cycling occur in the filter. Sorry I am still new if that was a silly question.

3. I want 3 Discus and a few angelfish all small sized. If I put them in all at once, do I still need to quarenteen each one? I have nothing to use a quarenteen tank.

I would appreciate all input. I do not plan to breed I just want to enjoy these fish. I am really stressed out now about all the fighting going on in my tank. I need something more peaceful.

Karen

Carol_Roberts
03-15-2003, 03:06 PM
Hi Iceskater, welcome to SimplyDiscus :wave:

It sounds like you are trying to do your research and do everything right for your new discus. Here are my answers to your questions.

1. What is this forum's opinion on discus and angelfish together? A few people keep angels and discus together, most don't. Generally angels will outcompete discus for food. You'll end up with fat, happy angels and dark runted discus :-\

2. I plan on returning all the fish I have in my tank now to the LFS good and starting over with Discus and Angelfish. I want to keep the large gravel and artifical plants in my tank. Once I remove the fish is it ok to remove all the water, plants and gravel, bleach them out and start over with new water? If I do so, will I hae to wait for the tank to cycle again. Or does the cycling occur in the filter. Sorry I am still new if that was a silly question.
You don't tell us what type of filter you have. 3 is a very bad number for discus. The best way to start is with 6 juveniles and grow them out in a bare tank. For right now why don't you remove the gravel and plastic plants. Clean your tank really well. If you have a hang on the back filter (and all your other fish were healthy) you may be able to save the biological filter and not recycle it. 6 discus will need a 55 when they grow up

3. I want 3 Discus and a few angelfish all small sized. If I put them in all at once, do I still need to quarenteen each one? I have nothing to use a quarenteen tank. If you get all your fish at once from the same place you quarantine them all together. I would get either discus OR angel fish

I would appreciate all input. I do not plan to breed I just want to enjoy these fish. I am really stressed out now about all the fighting going on in my tank. I need something more peaceful. Discus are very peacful and relaxing. I'm glad you are researching and asking question now - it will save you a lot of stress later

iceskater
03-15-2003, 06:17 PM
I have a 29 gallon tank and hanging filter. I have a few more questons.

1. Why do people sugest bare bottom tanks?

2. Why is 3 a bad number for Discus?

Well back to reading, I am so anxious, Yet I can not seem to part with my Oscar.

Would be oscar be ok with Discus???? While he is small that is. About 4/5 inches.

Mat
03-15-2003, 06:56 PM
please dont have an oscar in with your discus, they can be very aggressive , bare bottom tanks are easier to clean great if your breeding but i think its a matter of taste. i have river sand as a substrate easy to clean easy to spot waste as well ;D

Mr.Trips
03-15-2003, 07:08 PM
I hope I can help, I went thru the same things you are when I wanted Discus.

1. Most people suggest a bare bottem tank, because its easy to clean, and less likely to get a mean bacteria that will make your fish sick.

2. 3 little discus in a tank is really too few, because they want to school, I would go with a min of 5 little ones (2 inches or so). There is always a possiblity of losing some, it always happens so dont blame yourself!!

3. Do NOT put that Oscar with the Discus, he will beat them or eat Them! If you want some fish to go with your discus, try cardnial Tetras, Neons, Or Rummy noses.

For what its worth I have 2 tanks with fine Gravel and Live Plants (Half the Forum is about to die now) I do water changes twice a week. I run 2 Magnum 250 Pros with Bio filters on which is good for 100 gallons on a 75 gallon tank. I have not had any problems with my discus.

Make sure you get all your fish from one dealer if possible, that way you know that the likely hood of spreading disease is less. Do not buy any fish from Wal-**** or Pets++++, and stick them in with your Discus, I lost a whole tank that way!

We were wondering about what type of Filter you have on your tank. If its a wal Mart Tank with a regent power filter on it, that is fine, however you may want to put a biowheel on it, which is a good benificial bacteria for the tank. You can get those type of parts from www.marineland.com or your local pet store.

Also some people with the powerfilters will run or not run with a filter with Carbon in it. Some folks think that the carbon will release the bad stuff it collects back into the water. So the best thing to know is what type of filter you have!

Remember with Discus

PH of 6 to 8
Temp 82 very Minimimum!

Water changes with water that has sat out for 24 hours so the PH will level out, and less chance of Chlorine. Also make sure the WC water is the same temp as your tank so you wont shock the fish!

Any more questions please post or send a message, we are all here to help!

Where are you from anyway?

iceskater
03-15-2003, 09:26 PM
Thanks for all the input. I really did not think Oscar would go with the Discus.

I have a whispher filter. I am going to add a biowheel along with the whispher when I change to discus.

One more question, If I decide on bare bottom could I still leave in my coral and rock caves or are the surfaces to sharp for Discus.

I am so scared about this venture because Discus are so costly. I have already spotted a few Discus I liked but I have never seen 5 small ones at my LFS. I really do not want to buy fish sight unseen and those shipping charges seem outrageous to me. Does anyone know a good place for discus in SFV, Ca...

Well keep up the input

Thanks
Karen

Mr.Trips
03-15-2003, 11:19 PM
Yes leave your Coral and Rock Caves, gives the discus something to hide behind. You can even put Live plants in Pots and put them in your tanks!

As for Local dealers, look in the dealers section, and put in a message for your area.

As for me, the closest dealer I have is over 150 miles away, so those shipping charges are not so bad. Remember, 60 bucks for shipping for high quality Discus is well worth it! You always get what you pay for!

What size does your LFS have in Discus and your cost, curious to see the price difference between CA and Oklahoma.

Have you thought about going to a larger tank, like a 55 or 75 gallon?

iceskater
03-15-2003, 11:30 PM
I am not sure of the size seems about 2-3 inchs. They are cobalt blue and cost $35.99.

I will post on dealers in my area thanks for the suggestion. I suspect I will be returning all my fish and switching to Discus within the next few weeks. I am anxious. And I am driven to suceed at this.

Mr.Trips
03-16-2003, 12:02 AM
Thats not too bad of a price. Compare to Saltwater, and Discus are cheap!

I dont think you would have a problem going with 5 or 6 from your LFS, just remeber though, in about 6 months you will need a bigger tank!

April
03-16-2003, 12:29 AM
hi and welcome. Jeff from discusfarm.us is in L. A.....not sure where in california you live...but he has some nice healthy fish for decent prices and hed also help you to get set up with info as well...im sure. it;d be worth emailing him. im sure you can get nicer fish for as good or better a price from him. and not start with sick fish. or runted. if your going to do this.....then best to start out with 5 or 6 all the same size fish..and not get discouraged because you started with fish that are already stressed.
thier not hard to keep if you follow a few simple rules. and we;re all here to help you. YOu need to learn to understand discus....and the best way is bare bottom for now. till they grow some. they hide too much in my opinion if you give them stuff to hide behind and dont get used to you as easy or eat as well. you could do this later..once you get used to them and how much they eat etc.
by all means save your biofilter...dont clean your sponges etc . clean your tank well and set it up with new water and run the filter on it.
Let us know how you make out and when you get new fish.
until then keep reading and asking.

iceskater
03-16-2003, 12:22 PM
Hi April

Thanks for the welcome. It has been great reading all the responses. Not one person has tried to discourage me from getting Discus. This is quite a welcome change.

I emailed Jeff. I am also going to LFS in a few hours and check on the Discus I saw last week. I plan to ask them questions as well.

One more question, when I empty my tank what should I wipe it down with. Should I rinse out the filter container. I know not to rinse the sponge etc...

Karen

Carol_Roberts
03-16-2003, 02:32 PM
Hi Karen:
Unless the fish store you go to specializes in discus, I would be leery of any advice they give you. Remember they are there to sell you equipment and products . . . .

I wipe down the insides of my tanks with white paper towels or sponges. I rinse the inside of my filter containers when I clean the impellor - every month or two

iceskater
03-16-2003, 04:40 PM
Update,
I went back to LFS and the Discus he had are gone, in its place are quarter size ones. They did not look good at all. Funny thing is I noticed. Guess my research is helping.

I heard from Jeff great guy. I will be ordering from him when I am ready he already showed great customer service to me.

Well that is it for now. I need to part with these fish of mine and take the plunge it may take me a few weeks. I will post when I get my fish.

Karen

Don_Lee
03-16-2003, 05:37 PM
Karen-You cannot do better than Jeff. Drive by and check out all of his fish, believe me if I could do the same I would be soooooo happy and such a regular visitor Jeff would kick me out! LOL

Don ;D

April
03-16-2003, 05:47 PM
Karen. sounds great. and im glad your getting them from Jeff. he is a good guy..and you will do far better than going to a lfs.
we cant wait to hear what you get.

DIZ
03-16-2003, 06:02 PM
Karen
Its not so hard to change over.But it will be well worth it DIZ

iceskater
03-16-2003, 06:04 PM
I do not think the change over will be hard just parting with these fish that I have become attached to. ::)

RAWesolowski
03-18-2003, 02:18 AM
Karen,

You may want to join the local fish group. Fish geeks will lend you a hand and you may find someone in your area who is also into discus.

Bare bottoms are highly recommended for growing out yoiung fish. As they get older, we may convince you to come over to the dark side - a planted aquarium with gravel!

iceskater
03-18-2003, 10:10 AM
Well I am convinced of starting bare bottom. I am talking to Jeff about my fish today.

Karen