PDA

View Full Version : NEWBIE IN DISCUS WORLD!!!!!!!!!

Buccs
03-15-2003, 10:08 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm in Costa Rica.
I've recently acquire a 55g planted tank with a UGF w/a 802 hagen powerhead and a aquaclear 200 power filter w/active carbon and DYI CO2 Injection.
I have 3- 2.5" Discus in it, they seem fine although the blue diamond was quite sick ( dark & hardly eat) but he's alright now.
I've always used this setup succesfully a few years ago with other tropical fishes.
My question is if it will work successfully w/ Discus. Should I change my filter setup ( e.g. Canister or wet/dry filter ) ?

I'm planning to get more but wanna make sure if the setup i have will make them happy.

Any suggestions or feedbacks will be well appreciated ;D.

Ardan
03-15-2003, 10:19 PM
Hi, Welcome!
SOme have had success with the CO2 for the plants but some have also had problems with them not operating properly, so monitor closely.
The carbon has been linked to Hole in the Head disease in discus, however it is not proven. I don't use carbon, water changes keep the water clean of impurities.
With plants and substrate, cleanliness is sometimes more difficult. Cleanliness is paramount with discus. Siphon up waste often. It can get lodged in the substrate so be aware of that. Undergravel filters are not good IMO, they trap a lot of debris.
I do like the aquaclears, I use them with just sponges. A good filter IMO
Best of Luck
hth

Carol_Roberts
03-16-2003, 01:50 AM
Few people are successful raising discus with an under gravel filter. Discus are different than other tropical fish. They need much cleaner water and tanks. Undergravel filter are notorious for trapping food and feces (mulm).

On my 55 gallon tanks I use an aqua clear 500 with two internal sponges and a pre-filter sponge on the intake.

CO2 can cause big swings in the pH of the tank - another no, no for discus.

There is a section here with help on planted tanks - you may want to read through it .
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=7

Buccs
03-16-2003, 03:49 PM
Hi again

Thank you for replying.

I'm planning to change the UGF. What would you recommend- canister? Or any other options out there?

Thanks

Ralph
03-16-2003, 04:25 PM
Costa Rica, it's a beautiful place (like you didn't know that already).
What are the fish stores like? What kind of fish are available? Are supplies reasonably priced? There are some interesting ciclids native to there too.
Canisters work fine, most use the power (box) filters because they are easier to clean though.

Welcome to Simply

Buccs
03-16-2003, 05:00 PM
Hey there Ralph.

Yeah CR is a beatiful place

There are a bunch of stores available but just a couple that are dedicated to the discus....

A few months ago, a new shop opened for discus. they are the only distributors of Jack Wattleys Discus. Prices are relatively expensive for example a 2.5"-3" discus cost about $70 & a 5"-6" cost about $180...... :o

I bought 2 of them there........3" discus.......

probably i will go for the canister filter and w/ my aquaclear200 i think that will be enough...... ;D What do you think?

See ya around

Carol_Roberts
03-16-2003, 05:13 PM
Can you order from the online catalogs like http://www.aquacave.com/ or www.petsolutions.com You will find their prices much less than your fish store. Personally I hate canisters. The Aqua Clear 500 is much better and cheaper!

Buccs
03-17-2003, 01:40 AM
Hi Carol,

One small question for you.....Is it enough w/ only one aquaclear 500 for a planted tank? Don't need any aeration?
How about a DIY wet/dry filter?

Thanks

Carol_Roberts
03-17-2003, 04:16 AM
An Aqua Clear 500 is plenty for a 55 gallon - especially if you have the water level about 3/4 of an inch below the rim. I've never used a wet/dry, but hear they are really good filters.