PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the breeders

Fish Freak
03-16-2003, 01:24 AM
Hi guys

Which breeder should I go with? Cary strong at great lakes discus or mike wells at a discus dream?

Thanks
Josh
???

Brad NC
03-16-2003, 01:27 AM
Can't go wrong with either. See who has the most strains that you want currently in stock. Call them, don't look it up on the web, because they're always changing. Then when you get more discus down the road (and trust me, you will) you can get some from the other source.

Brad

April
03-16-2003, 01:42 AM
Either are fine. ive ordered from both many times. and they can both send to Canada.
let us know when you get your fish. and what you get.
love hearing about everyones new fish. saves me buying more. lol.

Carol_Roberts
03-16-2003, 01:53 AM
And I hope you have a camera, we love to see pictures of Mike and Cary's fish too ;D

brewmaster15
03-16-2003, 02:07 AM
Cary Strong.

fcdiscus
03-16-2003, 02:25 AM
Don't get me wrong, I like Mike alot and he has great fish, but Cary is THE BEST!-Bar None! Frank

CARY_GLdiscus
03-16-2003, 04:59 AM
I myself like Jeff at http://www.discusfarm.us/
hee.hee.hee

No really do your homework with the breeder all can give you the best if you ask tell us what You want I know all can deliver.

HTH
TakeCare,
Cary Gld!

03-16-2003, 09:51 AM
Im with Frank on this one, Mike is a hell of a nice guy, but i have never bought fish from him.
Cary on the other hand i have bought fish from once or twice, ( ok 25 or 30 times ;D) And have always been happier when i got the fish than i could of hoped for. He is a straight shooter and has kick a$$ fish. He will also help out with any questions before, during and after the sale( so does Mike im told)
Good fish will come from either one im sure, but Cary is my frist choice everytime.
Matt

03-16-2003, 11:02 AM
I'm the guy who offered to sell some of my stock to Josh. I've got no problem with him buying from any of the breeders listed on this thread. But Josh should make sure he is prepared to buy these fish sight unseen, pay $100 Cdn shipping minimum to get them here regardless of how few fish he orders, retrieve them from the airport, clear them through U.S. Customs and land them in his tank after what is usually a 24 hour trip. I can help out with some advice on some of those issues but most of the work will be up to Josh. I don't think that $80 Cdn ($55 U.S.) for a 4" fish from Cary is unreasonable and that's what I was selling mine for on average. They're great fish and I don't mind keeping them. So don't worry about any conflict of interest from me... I've got 5 empty tanks right now, lots of room for fish. ::)

One other option Josh, is that I'm planning to get some new fish from Cary in a couple of weeks. Right Cary? Ha ha ha. Maybe we could have them shipped together and save you some freight. It really depends on how many fish you want. I tend to fill up the boxes pretty quick and I hope to be getting in about 80 small fish but that should leave room for a couple of bags of fish.

Dave

brewmaster15
03-16-2003, 11:11 AM
Josh,
Thats a great offer by Dave here. Shipping the fish from the USA to you is going to be the hardest part of getting great fish. You may want to take Dave up on his offer.

-al

03-16-2003, 11:17 AM
It does introduce it's own set of problems al. He will either have to go with me to the airport and we'll split the fish there and go our separate ways (Josh doesn't live in Winnipeg) or I will get the box of fish and set up a tank for his fish and hold them for him until he gets them. I did that for Gump in Nova Scotia... just got his fish from Cary and then shipped them to Gump the following week. I don't mind doing it for Josh but I still bet that 4" fish will cost him more then I'm selling them for. Mind you, I may not have what he's looking for. I think he'd be better served by getting a dozen small (1-2") fish and learning with them. They'll eat better and are cheaper. Sell what you don't need as they grow and you'll end up with some nice adults. Just my opinion. Not that I have any 1-2" fish that I'm willing to part with right now. I do have 30 wild Red Santarem x Red Spotted Diamond fry that are about 1" right now. They came from adults that I sold to _david_ and are growing well but I want to hold them for another couple of months to see how they develop.

Dave

Fish Freak
03-16-2003, 11:22 AM
I was considering the shipping. I dont have a lot of money to throw around right now so I think im gonna stick with dave. No offense dave but some other guys on the site told me that I should cut out the middle guy and buy straight from cary. Sorry.

Thanks
Josh

Smokey
03-16-2003, 11:24 AM
An offer like that only comes once!!! go for it.

I have imported from overseas; and the difficult parts is meeting and reroutining the shipments; Having a person willing to assist is a godsend.

Smokey

gary1218
03-16-2003, 11:26 AM
I would see which ones has the discus you are looking for. Then the next time I would buy from the one that I didn't buy from this time ;D

Let me know if either one of them tells you they have snakeskins for sale ;D

GARY

brewmaster15
03-16-2003, 11:28 AM
Hey Gary,

had 350 + eggs from a pair of those blue snakeskins last week! It made a great omlet for the first time parents though ::)

-al

April
03-16-2003, 11:58 AM
There you go...I'm sure Dave will make sure you get what you need also Josh and it doesnt sound like hes too much of a big bad middle man. I;m sure hes not gonna try get rich off of you. Just help you out. I'd get the fish that you want added to his boxes .

Tyler
03-16-2003, 12:07 PM
Yeah Josh, and while you're there you can steal more fish when Dave has his back turned .... JK dave ;D

Tyler

April
03-16-2003, 12:27 PM
Heh Tyler and Josh I believe you guys are about the same age. 8)

Mike_Wells
03-16-2003, 12:42 PM
Carys the only breeder in the USA I would buy from. ;)

Mike

Fish Freak
03-16-2003, 12:44 PM
thanks for the info

Josh

engineguy129
03-16-2003, 03:22 PM
I personally buy from Jeff at discusfarm.us, he has great sevice and excellent fish. There are several great Breeders like Cary, but I think it all boils down to what you want and what works for you.

good luck

Rob ;D

Jeff
03-16-2003, 04:15 PM
I would buy from either. It doesn't matter except for do they have what you are looking for at the time. Your best bet is to go through Dave for less hasle. ;)

DIZ
03-16-2003, 06:19 PM
Mike Wells Has real nice fish .Good prices and he will work with you. I got fish from mike before and never had a problem.
DIZ

Ardan
03-16-2003, 07:23 PM
I have only bought from Cary and had good fish and good service! 8)
Daves offer of helping with the shipping is really great and he makes some good points! :thumbsup:

bikhu
03-16-2003, 09:46 PM
Hi,
I have only bought from Cary anbd have only purchased one time but I can tell you that I am thrilled with the fish, the service and the entire experience. I don;t only feel like I bought some tremendous Discus but I made a great friend. Cary only breeds and sells quality fish, he is a quality man.
Bremaster also has some very very nice fish and shares really good information. Don't think he ships though... Do you Al? He might suffer from or enjoy Discus obsessive disorder!!!!
Dave's offer and suggestions make a great deal of sense though. I wish I knew someone in my area to split shipping charges with. But then where would my family live!?!?!?
I made the mistake of trying to start with a couple of juveniles and they/I did not do well. So I took the suggestions offered here to go with a group of 6. They are doing great!
Good luck with your decision
Peter

redlines
03-16-2003, 10:36 PM
Josh,

Do what I did....

Get fish from both of them!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I am very happy I did can you tell?

Andy

Fish Freak
03-16-2003, 11:19 PM
Nice oppinions but I think im gonna stick buying straight from dave thanks. Maby in the future I will purchase some fish from cary and mike.

Thanks
Josh

Tyler
03-16-2003, 11:33 PM
Cool Mom.....
And Josh, good plan.

Tyler

Wahter
03-17-2003, 01:45 PM
I've gotten a few fish from Mike and I've visited Cary's place - as mentioned already, both are nice and great guys. Choose who has the strains and sizes that you want. Besides, they are friends with each other too.

Walter

Fish Freak
03-17-2003, 09:55 PM
tyler what is your msn contat?

Thanks
Josh

steve s
03-17-2003, 11:57 PM
Hi
Just bought some fish from Mike. He has some super
deals because of his upcoming move.
HTH
Steve

nazangels
03-18-2003, 12:06 AM
I got the most beautiful 2.5" red-spotted green snakeskin babies from Mike about two months ago on Aquabid. These fish are getting their color and are growing like, well...like baby discus should! They're perfectly round and haven't given me any problems at all. I love them! In three weeks I have to move them and am a nervous wreck thinking I might lose some during the move. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, though. I haven't bought from Cary, so can't say anything yet. Soon, though!

Beth