PDA

View Full Version : How to feed a variety of food types?

GWdiscus
03-18-2003, 09:16 AM
My fish, 7 young discus, are finally starting to come out of hinding and checking me and their surroundings out (sometimes). The issue I have currentlly is how to vary their diet when they will only eat beefheart?
I have offered frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms at different times and niether did they eat. I gave them these food items in the morning, and in the afternnon when I returned home the food was still in the tank. I feed the fish twice a day.
I've been doing daily water changes and the pH is 7.4 with no ammonia. They are in a 75 gallon bare bottom tank, with 7 potted plants. ???

Carol_Roberts
03-18-2003, 07:22 PM
Hi GMW:
Try feeding just bood worms until they eat them readily. Just a few at first and vacuum leftovers. I feed several meals per day of small amounts.

You should try to fit in another meal in the evening. Feed as soon as you get home and then 3 hours later or an hour before lights out.

AFter a couple of days they should be eating bloodworms and beefheart. Do they eat tetra bits?

GWdiscus
03-18-2003, 10:24 PM
Thanks Carol,
I'll start with the blood worms tonight.
Is the Tetra bits made specifily for discus or is it a generic food for all fish? Would a local pet shop carry it or is there a specific web location I can purchase this from? I really believe variety is best for all living creatures. I want to start the discus on CBW but I'm concerned that they would stop eating everything else like I've read from at least one other posting, any comments?
Again thanks for your continued help, I look forward to your and everyone else's input.
Michael

Carol_Roberts
03-18-2003, 10:39 PM
Tetra Bits are for all fish. (They used to be discus bits). It's good to get them to eat a pellet or flake too.

Rick00
03-18-2003, 11:31 PM
you can also mix in a little beefheart witht the blood worms to start the feeding frenzy...but make sure you have more bloodworms then beefheart....cuz if they don't eat the bw at least there not missing a meal....

My new fish would eat nothing but blackworms and bloodworms.....it took a few weeks but now there starting to eat the beefheart and flake.....just be persistant....they'll eat it if there hungry enough....

hth
Rick

GWdiscus
03-19-2003, 09:04 PM
Thanks guys,
Good advise, I didn't feed them last night and this morning they came right up to the glass and stayed there until I was only 2 ft away, a major accomplishment for them. I gave them a small feeding of BW this morning and when I returned about 2 hrs ago at the end of the day the food was missing. And more amazingly, the fish were at the front of the glass and stayed there as I approached, up to about a foot of the tank. I then went upstairs and got some more BW and returned only to have the fish retreat to the corner, but this time they stayed at the front until I opened the top. Its goes to show you what a little hunger will make you do!?
I'll take every little step.
As of fifteen minutes ago they had not touched this evenings offering of BW. THey are so frustrating!!
I'm going out tonight to start a salamander study I helping to conduct with OSU, so when I return I hope the BW are gone and the fish come up to the front to see me :-\
thanks,
Michael