PDA

View Full Version : Cycle New tank

iceskater
03-18-2003, 10:12 AM
I am buying a new tank today. I plan on using my old sponge for the discus. Can I cycle the new filter ok If I put goldfish in the new tank???

Karen

Mr.Trips
03-18-2003, 10:56 AM
Hi Karen!

What size tank are you gonna get?

I would not put goldfish in for the cycle, can you pick up some Cardnials or Rummynose Tetras? Goldfish tend to be really a dirty fish!

They are a very hardy fish, and after I treat my water for chlorine, i put them in the tank to help the cycle. The good thing about the Cardnials and Rummys, is they can stay in the tank with your Discus!

Let us know!

darcy
03-18-2003, 11:09 AM
Hi Karen
I always cycle new tanks with ammonia, I find it very easy and cuts way down on the time it takes to cycle with fish!! Also no chance of getting a disease that other fish may carry. I also just run extra sponges in all my filters and when I add a new tank I just take some of the sponges and away I go!!
Darcy

DarkDiscus
03-18-2003, 11:31 AM
I agree with the above posts, especially the thought of keeping goldfish as far away from your discus tanks as possible!

John

Carol_Roberts
03-18-2003, 12:30 PM
You can do a fishless cycle or if your discus are healthy you can simply put both the new and old filter on the discus tank. After 2 or 3 weeks the new filter will be cycled too. That's the great thing about having an established tank. You can cycle extra filters easily.

iceskater
03-18-2003, 11:17 PM
Ok I have some more time for a better explanation and update.

I am getting a new QT a 20gallon. I plan on raising 5 new Discus in that tank till they grow. If I am success then I will splurge and get a larger tank. I plan on using the filter from established tank in the QT tank for the Discus ( I think). Side note: I spoke with Jeff today the fish I want will not be available until the end of April. I would probably have time to cycle the new filter. Opinions.

Ok, next plan. I have another tank currently it has 1 oscar, 2 parrots and 4 gourami's. The parrotts and Oscar have recently become real real aggresive and has caused me nothing but stress. I purchased fish to relax. Well anyway. I am returning the parrots and oscar. Now here comes the rest. I have a 3rd tank this one is small, it has 4 fancy goldfish. I want to put the goldfish in the community tank, that will make 4 gourami's and 4 goldfish. I hear goldfishs are dirty. What problems would that cause?

Final question, does the tank itself have the good bacteria needed to keep fish healty. If I put the new filter on the old tank would my fish me ok? Hense the question, would goldfish help cycle a new filter faster.

Appreciate any input.

Karen

Carol_Roberts
03-19-2003, 05:57 AM
Yes, there is some good bacteria on the tank walls, but the bulk is in the filter media.

Why risk bringing diseases into your discus tank? Do a fishless cycle since you have the time.

darcy
03-19-2003, 10:02 AM
I totally 150% agree with Carol. Better safe than sorry!!! Fishless cycle is the way to go.
Darcy

iceskater
03-19-2003, 10:14 AM
Truth is I have never done a fishless cycle. I made big mistakes with this tank (first one) cleaned to much etc. and paid the price with dead fish. I will take some time and read up on the fishless cycle.

Thanks.