PDA

View Full Version : picking up 12 discus from macs discus the 20th.

Desertdrifter
03-19-2003, 12:59 AM
I am picking up my fish from a breeder in Woodinville WA. thursday.I think my tank is finaly ready my nitrites have been at zero for about 5 days and my amonia for about 2 weeks.one small problem is my ph in my storage tanks stays at 6.8 or so but my tank ph is at 6 I have done some large water changes and it seems to stay the same.I have drift wood in my tank and my storage tank witch I heat and areate(sp.) .my tap water is about 7.8 or so and I have 2 fifty gallon storage tanks.each has two floats one set at 3/4 full and one at 100% the tank fills with R.O to the 3/4 and shuts off then I turn on the tap water that has a carbon block filter. I am getting all diffrent strains my wife even picked 6 out.I dont have a Quarintine tank yet so I was planning on adding them all at once hope that isnt a big mistake. my tank is 150 gallon with 1 wet dry and 1 fluval 404. the other thing that makes me nervous is my pumps are all oil filled 1 in my storage tank two in my wet dry sump.cant afford to buy new ones yet.is the oil deadly?I have a pump for water removal too, obviously not a problem. is the ph diffrence a problem. I could add straight tap water but then I will probably have the opisite problem.sorry to ramble any sugestions or comments THANKS!!! DD

Miles
03-19-2003, 01:51 AM
Desertdrifter,
From MAC ?? There are lots of known breeders around the United States.

Miles

P.S. You should do some more research before jumping in.

Carol_Roberts
03-19-2003, 02:09 AM
Hi Desertdrifter, welcome to SimplyDiscus :wave:

It looks like you have been doing your homework on the perfect discus set up. Don't worry if the pH in your holdingtank is higher than in the aquarium. Discus don't mind increases as much and once you start daily waterchanges the tank pH will raise a little. Are you sure you need RO? My grow outs are living in pH 7.8, TDS 276 and GH 11.

By the way I have sent you an Instant Message. Look at the top right hand side of this screen and click on the blue message.

dm
03-19-2003, 08:17 AM
Welcome Desertdrifter. Sounds like you have a good setup there. Good luck with getting everything going.

Desertdrifter
03-19-2003, 04:23 PM
Carol: my ph is 7.8 to 8 and it goes up in the summer to well over 8 I live in the desert and the water is very hard.THANKS FOR THE INPUT!!! DD

Marksor
03-19-2003, 06:56 PM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=21;action=display;threadid=6250;st art=0

Before putting your hard earned cash on the table for the 12 fish in Woodinville WA, you may find the enclosed link of value ...

You can also email me off line re my purchase experience ...

bmrin1
03-19-2003, 08:28 PM
Well I would suggest you check this out first http://daah.info/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1232 and then I am going to wish you luck cause you will need it.
Brian