PDA

View Full Version : Plecos that Can Live With Discus

sony
03-19-2003, 02:54 PM
i want to add a pleco to my tank to help with cleaning, can you recommend a few under $20 plecos or other fish that could do the same job for me? i understand that you can not use common plecos and that you do not want the pleco attaching himself to the discus. please help. thanks.

paul_burney
03-19-2003, 04:29 PM
Sony
Hi i use the Bristle Nose pleco's you can find the at LFS and at Aquabid for only a few dollars each and they work great
HTH you

Paul Burney

sony
03-19-2003, 04:30 PM
thanks! :D

carman
03-19-2003, 06:22 PM
go for gold nugget. I have one in my tank and he's really happy!

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:Q6TFwQp6c6gC:www.catfish-corner.com/gallery/pleco/tnL-177%2520Iriri%2520Gold%2520Nugget%2520Pleco%25203. jpg

carman

gary1218
03-19-2003, 10:11 PM
I have found the dwarf albino bristlenose to be the best with discus AND good on the algae.

GARY

Jameson
03-20-2003, 05:37 AM
I have tried bristlenose, clown, and gold-nugget plecos and all handled temps up to 90 without any adverse effects. A piece of advice I received that I have stuck by is that to avoid them bothering the discus (none of my plecs have bothered mine, but I have had otocinclus and SAE's attack discus) keep a sliver (it can be as big as the plecos mouth) of driftwood in the tank (even if it is barebottom) and it will love to rasp it keeping it busy. Also I like to drop a half an algae feeding disc to the bottom once a week or every two weeks to keep them with some good nutrients other than algae. I am thinking about feeding them more on the side.

My bristlenose actually went through a two month feeding binge on discus food off the bottom, then stopped and went back to a algae/driftwood diet. Weird?

JC

Surfghost63
03-20-2003, 01:33 PM
Hi Sony :wave:

Check out this awesome site : www.planetcatfish.com there are lots of "catfish" including some extraordinaire Plecos, I hope you like them.

If I had to buy one, I'd buy a Zebra, they are stunning, but very expensive :-\ , in Mexico they cost around $ 60.00 dollares each :o

Regards,

Bill :guitarist:

Wahter
03-20-2003, 01:42 PM
I have a zebra, a gold nugget, 2 queen arabesques, and a clown - none of these have bothered any of my discus.

As for usefulness, I'd lean toward the bristlenose - the zebra isn't much of an algea eater; it like bloodworms more!

http://www.aquariumhobbyist.com/discus/water/zebraplec.jpg

RAWesolowski
04-09-2003, 01:33 AM
I use the dwarf bristlenose. Put 5 in my 36 when they were too small to see. A large piece of wellaby wood is their favorite spot. They seem to like polishing it.... Now that they're at 1.5", I've taken two into another tank to help clean.