PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine

Greenlantern
03-19-2003, 09:02 PM

Super Hero...

Quarantine
« on: March 18, 2003, 07:52:33 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Guyz,

I have an empty 55 gallon tank that has been nuked (bleached clean) and stands ready to be cycled. I also have a 30 gallon quarintine tank preped. I plan to order my first six discus from the same source breeder.

I have read many posts and articles about the importance of quarintine and medical fitness. But I have either not seen or I have missed the described scenerio as stated above in terms of the load introduction in to an empty cycled tank.

My question is do I follow the same quarantine description in inaugurating my first herd of discus. Placing them in my 30 gallon through several weeks detoxification before putting them in to my show tank without any inhabitants?

Greenlantern

Super Hero...

Re:Quarantine
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2003, 08:00:02 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry for amendment hehe

Also a walk through from the fed ex through the quarantine period would be nice. I don't want to screw them up

Thanx,

Julian

Moved to beginners, hehe

Carol_Roberts
03-19-2003, 09:21 PM
Hi Julian:
Two or three weeks before getting new discus I clean out the kitchen tank with the cycled filter. I add a little pure ammonia to the tank every day to feed the filters.

The day before arrival I clean the tank, gently rinse the filters and do a 90% water change. Heat should be at 88 and one tablespoon ssalt per 10 gallons.

My pH and hardness are higher than average, so I don't worry too much about acclimation. When discus arrive I open bags, reach in, grasp discus and plop in tank. Turn out lights and let them rest. (I can't help, but sit and watch them though)