PDA

View Full Version : New Discus!

Baltazar
03-19-2003, 09:57 PM
The advice I got from this site has been invaluable!! I want to thank you all for the helpful encouragement. I have had my Discus for 5 days now and they are doing fantastic!! They eat like pigs and they already seem to know me..... or at least recognize me as the guy with the food ;)
I am sure I will run into some trouble, and have already had some, but after finding this site, I know that I will be prepared for just about anything that can go wrong. Thanks again everyone!!
Balt

P.S. Thanks for the Great Fish Patrick!!
;D

Geordiebloom
03-19-2003, 10:41 PM
I will 2nd that for sure. Mind you I am light years ahead of you. I have had my Discus almost 12 days now :D

Thanks to this site I am sure that I will get through any problems that will arise.

Thanks again simplydiscus!

Geordie B

Very Fishy
03-20-2003, 09:30 AM
I am another new Discus owner and also thank everyone at this forum for all the great advice!!

Unlike Baltazar's discus who are eating like pigs, my discus which I have had for 7 days are on a hunger strike. ??? They are still extremely nervous when I approach the tank and ignore any food I feed them. Is there any chance that they will starve themselves to death? Seems to me their nature instincts should take over at some point and they should start eating.

Surfghost63
03-20-2003, 01:39 PM
Hi VeryFishy, welcome to Simply :wave:

You can try some salt (1 tablespoon per 10 Gallons) for a few days to accelerate your discus' metabolism and encourage them to eat, besides the salt helps a lot with stress,

Try feed them frozen bloodworms or live brine shrimp, they can hardly resist those food.

Good Luck,

Bill :guitarist:

carman
03-21-2003, 06:08 PM
you bet! this is simply the best on the net! ;D

carman

April
03-21-2003, 08:33 PM
Well welcome to all our newest discus keepers and thank-you for the complements. this site is here exactly for that purpose to hold hands of the newest discus members and more extended advice and commaraderie for the more experienced discus breeders.
im confidant that all of you will go great with your fish and will soon be onto your next tank. lol.
it will happen...take my word for it.
Please post even if it seems completely trivial or your being a worry wart type parent. as it makes you feel better if your not worrying.
Let us know how its going with updates.
thanks again for the kind words. 8) ;D :fish: :thumbsup: :wave:

Miles
03-22-2003, 03:01 AM
Very Fishy,
Raise your temp to about 88 and add 1 Tablespoon of salt per 10 gallons of water. Do you know what they were beening feed?

HTH
Miles

Baltazar
03-23-2003, 02:24 AM
Hello again,
I am attempting to post a pic of my Discus, so if you dont see any picture here you will know that I am still learning how to post pictures 8)
Here goes!

Baltazar
03-23-2003, 02:28 AM
Tada! Pretty easy ;D
Here is one more than I will return you to your regulary scheduled programming.

Carol_Roberts
03-23-2003, 06:34 PM
Lovely tank! thanbk you for posting your pictures. I'd rather see these than what's on TV right now . . .

gump
03-23-2003, 06:46 PM
Nice Pics.. & welcome to our new Discus keepers.
April is right.. what size will your new tank be?? LOL
Hmmm.. what piece of furniture can I get rid of to place a new tank???
Welcome aboard & have fun.
Pierre

Baltazar
03-23-2003, 10:34 PM
Thanks!
You know what is funny.... you are all so right. I am arguing with my Girlfriend right now about where we are going to put the 175 gallon bowfront that I "am" buying. She doesnt think so but I am going to get it!!
I cant wait. I need more room for Discus!
Bob 8)

April
03-24-2003, 02:49 AM
sounds good to me......heres a helpful hint.....never buy a piece of furniture that can;t hold the weight of a tank. and who needs kitchen counter space and dining room tables etc?
Your tank is beautiful. love it. and the fish look great. thanks for posting the pics.