PDA

View Full Version : To buy or not to buy???

Traveller
03-20-2003, 08:44 AM
I saw a discus which has a round body and brilliant colour. It is also the "king" of the whole school.It is very active. However , it have 2 white spot on its fins? Should I buy it????? ??? ???

kev82
03-20-2003, 09:20 AM
imo, you should never buy any fish that looks like it's sick. No matter how pretty it is, or how cheap it is.

It can spread the disease on your existing fish, and could die 2hours after you got it.

DarkDiscus
03-20-2003, 09:27 AM
Traveler,

IMHO it depends on what the white spots look like. If you are looking at a major bacterial infection, serious fin rot or another significant issue, NO, do not buy the fish.

If the fish has 2 random tiny spots, I'd say yes, and the quarantine the fish for a good long while. There are all sorts of things that cause small marks on a fish. Fighting being a major source.

Any more description that "white spots"?

John

Traveller
03-20-2003, 08:15 PM
Well... it don't seems to be a major fin rot. It fight a lot with the other discus , and maybe it injured itself during one of those fight.

Traveller..

steve s
03-20-2003, 10:11 PM
If you already have some fish, You want to buy
new ones about the same size if possible.
If the fish you were looking at were small 2-3 inchs, but already bright colors there is a chance they have been
feed color enhancing horm. Which would not be good
for them when they grow up.
If you are looking at sick or hurt fish at local fish store,
Do NOT Buy. Very few LFS get in quality discus ,or take care
of them right. If you have a local fish club , some one there
might be able to give you a name of someone local to buy from. If not, you can find some good dealers on this
forum.

HTH
Steve

Carol_Roberts
03-20-2003, 10:47 PM
Does it look like this? http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=21;action=display;threadid=7847
If so, clean water and salt will clear it up.

You must quarantine any new discus. You can see the white dot, but you can't see what's inside the fish. It could harbor other illnesses - any new fish can. So buy several and QT them for 4 -6 weeks before adding to your exisiting discus.

Mat
03-24-2003, 08:45 AM
Its not worth the risk :-X

03-24-2003, 09:07 AM
Most novice discus keepers cannot resist the temptation of beautiful discus. Depending on how experience you are with the species. You will probably buy it regardless of other people's advice anyway. "What do they know?". I often buy LFS fish and nurse them back to health. I'll say. Go ahead and buy but, The big BUT. Tell the LFS you'll pick him up in a week when your tank is ready and cycled. Most skin infection will show in 4 days. If he still look fine when you pick him up. Quarantine him for a few weeks . Test him by putting a cull in a week before mixing him with your fish
Jimmy.

April
03-24-2003, 10:48 AM
Or....it seems you live in Singapore. why dont you im Zoids (Roy)or Sly and see what they have? Im sure you'd get a very nice healthy fish. patience i say...patience.

Mat
03-24-2003, 03:01 PM
yes patience, easier said than done though, i got my first 4 turqs free from a friend in a large aquatic store but instead of waiting i bought another 3, although im happy with all of my fish i wish id waited just a little longer because i could of got soome very high quality pidgeon bloods, oh well im still happy tho