PDA

View Full Version : I could use some help-Please

Mystic1Sylvan
03-20-2003, 08:03 PM
Hi, Im not sure if im doing this right so I would love any help i can get. Ive had many community tanks but have always wanted discus. Well i went and bought a 125 gal. tank,Magnum 350,Merlin fluidized biological filter, Emperor 400 and an undergravel filter which im not sure if i should use(ihave heard mixed comments on them). I have the gravel and some fake plants, because i cant grow them out of water let alone in it and a couple nice pieces of driftwood. I dont think im going to put the plants in right away this way it will be easier to clean when they are young. Ok here is where I need help. What kind of lights would be best for discus? and im sure i need to buy a RO-Unit I have well water and i tested my water right from the tap it is PH 9.0 -GH 13 - KH 13. When i do water changes with my other tanks i only add Aqua safe to the water and change the filters and my fish are just fine with that. But how do I get the water just right for discus and after it is cycled and i do my water changes how do I keep it right? And i have no idea how to even use an RO-Unit. should I use 100% Ro and then add something or should I use 3/4 RO and 1/4 tap but then dont i still have to add something to the water. and I really dont have the room to put a 50Gal. bucket in my house its a log cabin with not that much room left. I already have the discus picked out that I want and they are not cheap and im afraid I will kill them. And my husband says i only have 1 chance at this because of the cost(LOL). OHH 1 more thing if discus dont like turbulent water how should i cut down on the water pressure flow? Sorry im sure everyone must think i should stick to regular fish -but i really want to do this. Please help me if you can. Thanks Tina

carman
03-20-2003, 08:19 PM
Hi Tina

I think you should consider go bare bottom instead of having under gravel filter, gravel and other stuff. at least that's my experience. I think most people here would recommend you go for bare bottom.

carman

Don_Lee
03-21-2003, 01:24 AM
Welcome to Simply Discus Tina! I will try to answer some of your questions.
Sounds like you have a good start with filters with the Emperor and Magnum 350. I would not even consider using the UGF. I would start barebottomed to optimize chances for success. I do not know what the Merlin bio filter is, so cannot comment on that. Again, I would leave the gravel out for now.
Lights are purely aesthetics. I would go with some flourescent bulbs in the 6700K range, and not spend excessively on lighting. I would think about 3 40 watt bulbs would be more than enough, probably could start with 2.
In terms of the RO question, simplest thing to do to start with would be to reconstitute 100% RO water with RO Right or some similiar product. I think you will have to have a storage tank somewhere, impossible to avoid that I believe. Check around the board for RO information, Randall is the man on the board for RO products and expertise. Read all you can in the water section....

HTH

Don ;D

Carol_Roberts
03-21-2003, 12:40 PM
Hi Tina:

You have a lot of good questions. I hope you will read through the various sections here to help you learn more about discus - they are different than other tropical fish.

The emperor 400 and magnum will be plenty for your 125 gallon discus tank. Discus don't need super filtration - they need daily water changes!

Can you get your money back on the gravel, undergravel filter and Merlin fluidized bed filter? None of those are reccomended for a discus tank. Better to spend your money on a storage barrel and pond pump to pump water to the tank for daily water changes. Water changes are the key to successful discus keeping.

Your GH is high, but doable . . . what is the pH of your tanks prior to a water change or after a cup of water has set on the counter overnight? That will help you decide if you need an RO. AS stated Randal has good buys on them here.

Any kind of lights will do. A double tube strip light is what I have on my 135. Discus won't mind the turbulence from the emperor - I 've never had a magnum so can't comment on that filter.

Another important considerations is to buy healthy discus to begin with. Many time fish store don't have very healthy discus. Some have made long trips from asia. Other are not proper cared for by the wholesaler. Have you checked into a breeder or hobbyiest in your area or on line?

Fisheyes
03-21-2003, 12:54 PM
Hi Tina
One more thing that I would and will be doing is to paint the outside bottom of any discus tank grey ,green what ever.
I think myself that a lot of discus feel uncomfortable staring at there reflection in the bottom .
I also think it is one reason discus have trouble sucking up there food.
I will try acid etching my 50 gal on the inside when I move my midsize discus up to it.
Fisheyes( :-X)