PDA

View Full Version : new ram babies

Qbal18
03-21-2003, 01:26 AM
I have a german blue ram male that pared up with a blue ram. they have laid eggs about 3 times now and i thoguth they were all eaten but i just noticed that the ones i thought were eaten on tue acually hatced and i now have about 50 babies being held in a patch of java fern by the parents is there any thing i can do to add to the tank for food or will ba able to get it from the fern? i have 2 discus and a bunch of tetras in the tank as well.

Ryan
03-21-2003, 01:46 AM
When the tetras and discus find out there are free-swimming fry in the tank, they'll quickly turn into snacks for the other fish.

You may want to siphon them out into their own small tank with a filter and heater. You can use water from the main tank. I'm not sure if rams are big enough to eat baby brine shrimp, but that's what I feed angels. You may also be able to do microworm cultures. Your rams will spawn again so if this batch doesn't make it there will most likely be another.

Jeff Doty had some ram babies, maybe he can tell you what he fed them.

Ryan

DarkDiscus
03-21-2003, 11:33 AM
I agree with Ryan about the other fish planning on making a lunch of the ram fry, but you can always use a partition or put the pair in a separate tank for breeding.

I would think that they would do best with infusoria/green water as a first food. I have had similarly sized fry which accepted some of the commercial powdered fry food as a first meal. Some green algae in a tank is beneficial as a place for the little guys to find food.

Good luck!

John