PDA

View Full Version : Bleach to clean

iceskater
03-23-2003, 01:34 PM
I want to clean out some tank decorates and a 5 gallon tank what is the mixture for bleach. What kind of bleach do you dilute in with water, How do you get the residue if any off. I know you do not use soap.

On a second note: Can a 5 gallon tank without a filter, bubble wall and daily water changes (several) hang on heater be used a QT tank for 1 discus. Just curious about that. I do not need one yet.

Karen

CHughes
03-23-2003, 05:32 PM
Karen:
I wouldn't recommend using bleach in a 5 gal tank. If you do, don't use more than a teaspoon full and rinse, rinse, rinse with clean water. Let the tank and decorations air dry before setting it up. Probably a better way to clean is to use vinegar in a dilution of about 2 cups per gallon.

Vinegar is easier to get rid of than bleach.

As to using a 5 gal as a QT, I'd recommend a 10 or 15 gal tank, unless you have tons of time to spend changing water. It certainly is possible though.

Have fun!

Carol_Roberts
03-23-2003, 07:20 PM
Use at least a 10 gallon for a QT tank, 20 is better. Rubbing alcohol is good to clean tanks and decorations. Wash first in warm water. Don't forget under the rim. Rubbing alcohol totaly evaporates.

iceskater
03-23-2003, 08:00 PM
I would never have thought to use either alcohol or vinegar. I will scrub this 5 gallon out along with all these decorations I have lying around. And set them out in this 75 degree weather we are having. Thanks to both of you.

As far as the QT tank goes, I do not need it. I was just curious if the tank I had would serve a purpose one day...

gump
03-23-2003, 08:45 PM
You always need as QT tank.
Pierre