PDA

View Full Version : You get what you payed for.

henryD
03-24-2003, 12:42 PM
I had a great weekend. Went to pick up some fish and saw a pretty impressive hatchery. The fish were dinner plate size and beautiful colors. It was great to be able to see how beautiful these fish can get. Esp in person. The pictures I saw on the internet were great but seeing these fish in person really left me in awe. Even my wife started to get a little excited. (hopefully that means more tanks).

Having said that I was reading through all the new threads. There has been alot mention about some shady dealers and hormone fish. I think the general rule applys here. "You get what you paid for."

Having said that I did buy some discus. They were a bargain. Were they the best fish? Absolutely not. They were not sold that way either. I figured since I was just starting off I didn't want to make all the beginner mistake on something that cost alot. I do like the fish I got. I hope that I can take a good enough care of them to get some good colors.

All in the all I think the trip was a big success. It really opened my eyes. So now more tanks and more w/c are in the future.

Cull
03-24-2003, 01:26 PM
Where did you go what did you see what did you buy & how meny did ya get?

Culver

RandalB
03-25-2003, 05:02 PM
I agree, inexpensive is an excellent way to start out raising discus. That way you get the needed experience and aren't too heartbroken if you loose one. You should have seen the $10-15 monsters I started out with.
Some of them even turned out fairly decent. You can also donate them to other newbies in the area once you are ready to buy some quality ones for bigger $$..

Just my $0.02

RandalB

piranhafreak
03-27-2003, 02:59 PM
i hope your not talking about the ones you got from me if so you have to rember that they have been through alot from shipping even then they were all eating very well and they were all WILD discus and have only been captive for about a month and at 16$ a piece i think you got an awesome deal for some healthy good looking wild discus

henryD
03-27-2003, 04:55 PM
Don't be offend. I was speaking in general terms. If you read my post I said I was happy with the ones I got.

I will send you an email.

chirohorn
03-27-2003, 05:09 PM
pf, I interpreted Kyppyk's post to be complimentary of your setup, fish & prices. Nothing negative. Just my $0.02.

Jameson
03-28-2003, 05:12 AM
KYPPY,

Something I learned early on in the DISCUS keeping hobby, not the fish keeping hobby, was that you NEED many water changes, good food, tender loving care e.t.c..

Listen to me, you can throw all the hard work and effort put into these beautiful fish right out the window if you do not START OUT WITH DISEASE FREE STOCK. Go to your local breeder, buy whatever you can afford, and go back. Buy three fish, next week buy one or two e.t.c. Explain your situation. Make sure he is a GENUINE BREEDER, see the babies in one tank, ask who is daddy. See if pairs have eggs, see if babies are feeding off sides, see if babies are all good shape and form. ASK THE BREEDER QUESTIONS. These guys are breeding for a reason, they want REGULAR customers, and they are broken hearted to hear of their stock dying in your tanks. If you figure in the cost, buying this way is better. I thought it was me with the fish at first, but getting disease free thoughroughbred (sp?) fish is paramount to this hobby.

I prefer to drive to a breeder and bring a cooler, I dont have far to go to two top notch breeding facilities however. I have never received shipped fish, so I will throw that ball to the members. I have heard horror stories, but I can give you two EXCELLENT numbers of Breeders in NY (LI) both of whom ship. Drop me an e-mail JCarnes@optonline.net

JC