PDA

View Full Version : Cannister filters Which One?

Gisela
03-24-2003, 10:22 PM
I would like to purchase a new canister filter, I already have the Magnum 350's on my other tanks, but is there a canister filter that has a huge amount of room for stuffing peat into?
Thanks
Gisela

CHughes
03-24-2003, 10:39 PM
Gisela:
I've used a Fluval 304 on a 50 gal tank(...and not to start a war of word over canister filters, I have had nothing but problems with this brand). Several other lists I belong to swear by Eheim as the canister filter of choice. Time to start saving up my pennies again I guess!

It provides several chambers for sponges, filter media, etc. What size tank you have will determine which size is best for flow rate.

larry lob
03-25-2003, 11:39 AM
Hi,

I got a eheim thermo wet/dry that does 600Ltr per hour and heats the water too, it's the DADDY !!!!!!!!!
I also have an eheim pro II covers 350 L/H again faultless.
Super reliable super quiet and super cool ;D :o ;D

Larry

Surfghost63
03-25-2003, 12:16 PM
Hi Gisela, welcome to Simplydiscus :wave:

I'm an "aquaclearist" , but as far as I know Eheim Professionel II cannisters are the best in the market, the 2028 model is the biggest (about 7.2 liters in filtering capacity)

BUT, these guys are really expensive, in Mexico I've seen them for about $ 300.00 USD, without filter media :o

On the other hand there are the Azoo's that are cheaper, for about $200.00 INCLUDING media.

HTH,

Bill :guitarist:

P.S. Avoid Fluvals, they are a P.I.T.A. , trust me :thumbsup:

Aquarius
03-25-2003, 07:17 PM
HArd to say, I have both Fluvals and an Eheim Wet/Dry. Both work well and IMO easy to clean. Takes about 10-15 min to clean a 404, and the Wet/Dry runs on salt tank, cleaned every 6 months maybe :)

Question for Larry, hows the Wet/Dry with the heater work? Does it heat the water to a 86+ temp easily?

Tony
03-25-2003, 09:31 PM
I have great exp with 1 304 but lots of pain with another 304 (the newer low cost version). with flexible plastic hose instead of rubber hose....

I have fair bit of luck with 1 viaaqua canister. (they looks like an eheim pro clone) cheap, large filter capacity. (but I cannot comment more since I have only 1) I think I would go for it again. (less than 304 price but 404 capacity at least)

No matter what, go for something that is self priming/easty to prime.
Something the seal is integrated, ie no need to fit the seal everytime u clean it.

good luck on hunting.

Carol_Roberts
03-26-2003, 02:58 AM
I hate cannister filters :o

DarkDiscus
03-26-2003, 09:25 AM
I'm with Carol!

:o

John

Gisela
03-26-2003, 01:20 PM
Thanks everyone for your in put I will check them all out and then have to make a decision.
Gisela

CARY_GLdiscus
03-26-2003, 04:28 PM
I agree,

To much time to take them apart and when You do You destory Everything Good that was keeping Your Water Clean.

JMO
Cary Gld!

Tony
03-26-2003, 08:33 PM
I am digging my grave here to speak out....
it is like saying UGF is bad. (ha, I am digging my grave even deeper)

Each type of filter suits different situation differently... and correct usage and correct maintenance procedure are different....

if you are running a cabinet setup, and the tank is not drilled for a wet dry. A canister is a 'easier' solution. You cannot hook a hang on the side filter....
If you insist on putting a bag of peat in the filter instead of pre-treat the water... a big canister is a good choice. Well, you can place a smaller bag of peat in a hang on the side filter ...

If you want to run a filter without cleaning for months.... canister and wet dry (note: I have not use wet dry) can take that sort of punishment....

If you want to clean your filter frequently and you are not running a hood. Price per bang.... you cannot beat a hang on the side filter.
e.g. a bb discus grow out or breeding tank

To be honest, my favourite is still the humble air driven sponge filter. I tends to run 2 filter systems in most tank.
e.g. power head driven ugf with canister in gf tank
sponge filter and canister in discus tank...
tons of plant and a canister in the pleco/ tropical tank. (really 1 filter)

I have sold my 10g tank with an AC150. That was the tank, that is the only tank in my case that I can fit a hang on the side filter. (after you hook up the light, take into consideration of the wall, the braces in the fish tank.... The AC works beautifully, I must agree though.

DougJ
03-26-2003, 08:37 PM
I do not have any experience with any canisters other than Eheims. I have had a 2226 on a 72 gallon for 3 years and a 2028 Pro II on a 180 for 2 years. Maybe I've just got the procedure down but when I clean them (about every 3 to 4 months) it takes about 15 minutes. I rinse the biological material in aquarium water and never have ammonia or nitrite problems. On the other hand I also use an AC500 which for the price, is a pretty good filter. For some people it boils down to asethetics. We don't like to see filters hanging off the backs of our tanks.