03-25-2003, 02:38 PM
Hi all!!

I have 10 juvie discus in a 85g

4 red dragon
2 red rainbow
2 turq's
and
2 C.B's

One of the C.B have some of the fin disappearing on the top and bottom. There is nothing weird in the tank and the PH is fine. I'm not sure if it's a disease as it is only effecting one of them....
Pls help!!!! not sure what I need to do..

I feed them brine, blood and flakes.
weekly w.c

Steve0199us
03-25-2003, 02:38 PM
oh, and temp is 86 F

Carol_Roberts
03-25-2003, 05:04 PM
You should be changing 25% water at least every other day. Add 3 tablespoons salt per 10 gallons and replace with water changes. Do the edges look like they are melting? You may have a bacterial problem. Is tank fully cycled? No ammonia?

Steve0199us
03-25-2003, 05:42 PM
So do I add the salt and then change the water or after? and then every other day.......

No, it looks like the ridges are natural in a way. Nothing melting or hanging off of the fish.

But why is it only affecting one though?

The tank is fully cycled
Ammonia was good last week, I'll have to check again 2night...

Carol_Roberts
03-25-2003, 05:56 PM
Change the water then add the salt.

Does it look ragged like bites out of the fins?

Steve0199us
03-25-2003, 06:18 PM
In a way yes. But I never see the other fish chase it......
How about aloe stress coat?

unless it happens over night..

Carol_Roberts
03-25-2003, 06:47 PM
No aloe stress coat. . . maybe worms?

Fisheyes
03-25-2003, 10:40 PM
Hi Carol
Your remark about the fin looking as if it was melting caught my attention .I have a runt red Turk that shows this sign along the top rear dorsel fin . Is this a bacterial sign?
I already have 2 tablespoons per 10 gal and heat at 94

This fish has never done well and has had two metro treatments and one praz treatment .

Because he is not eating and wasting away I tube fed him metro with a syringe and I/v . This is a last resort treatment and if no improvement in the next couple of days I will put him down.

Fisheyes( :-X)

Carol_Roberts
03-26-2003, 02:55 AM
Melting looking is bacterial. I don't know much about which antibiotic to use. I think the high heat and metro if its in the water makes it worse . . . you can use 5 tblsp per 10 gal salt . . .

Steve0199us
03-26-2003, 11:50 PM
Hi Carol- There is no ammonia in the tank and the PH is greenish.

2 more "?"s

Why do some of my fish show their 9 lines all the time? day and night? ( the 2 turks and 4 red rainbows).

Also, I took a very close look on one of my turks and it looked a bit skinny on the top and bottom of his body so the head looks a bit bigger then the body. The other turk I have is fine nice and plump. Is it because he's weaker and can't get as much food?

Carol_Roberts
03-27-2003, 12:21 AM
Hi Steve:
Why do some of my fish show their 9 lines all the time? day and night? ( the 2 turks and 4 red rainbows). Young discus show their bars most of the time. If the Red Dragons are pigeon based they don't have bars like the turks do

Also, I took a very close look on one of my turks and it looked a bit skinny on the top and bottom of his body so the head looks a bit bigger then the body. The other turk I have is fine nice and plump. Is it because he's weaker and can't get as much food? Yes, it sounds like he is skinny. This could be due to intestinal flagellates, worms and/or bullying. Do you see any white or mucusy looking feces?

Steve0199us
03-27-2003, 09:18 AM
Thanks Carol...
Cools stuff, so no worries for the lines

regarding the feces, nothing mucusy...

Mr.Trips
03-28-2003, 01:05 PM
Carol, how do you take care of fin rot in a planted tank? Besides putting them in a hospital tank? Is there any medication that wont harm plants?

Thanks

Carol_Roberts
03-28-2003, 02:34 PM
All my discus tanks are bare bottom. Perhaps they can answer your question about plants and meds in the "Showtank and biotope" section. Generally extra large, daily water changes help.