PDA

View Full Version : DIY aquarium tops

yellow sub
03-25-2003, 04:59 PM
Just wanted to share an new project that I have been working on...

I have added a few 75's and 20 longs to my fish room and needed to make some DIY top's for them since I am on a budget. I got the initial idea from this forum and made a slight modification.

Someone mentioned using the plastic 4X2 florescent light diffusers for tops but stated that they bow on tanks larger than 10 or 20 gallons. So what I did was use a 2 layer approach, 1st layer was an egg create ( those white light diffusers commonly used to make cheap tank dividers) then layed the clear thin light diffuser on top, then drilled a couple of holes around the corners and used nylon zip ties to hold them down on the egg create.

Its been a couple of weeks so far and they are working great.

Stephen

Tony
03-25-2003, 09:26 PM
I am interested, but can u show a pic or explain a bit more.

I have fail to visualise it. Thanks in advance.

Genyosha
03-25-2003, 09:45 PM
Please post a picture. I need to build a top for my 90 and would like to see yours.

Thanks

yellow sub
03-26-2003, 12:46 PM
Sorry, I don't have a digital camera but if someone wants to lend me one I'll post some pics :D

I'll try to explain a little better...

If you go to any home improvment store they usually sell a couple of different types of light diffusers for floresent lighting. One is the egg create(I think that is what it is called) where it is a rigid sheet 4' X 2' made up of little white 1/2" squares. These are also commenly used for cheap tank dividers.

The other type of light diffuser is a 4' X 2' thin, clear, dimpled hard plastic sheet.

What I do is cut the egg create to fit the top dimensions of the aquarium, take into account for any filters or anything that needs access to the tank from the top.

Then cut the thin light diffuser to fit over the egg create. I used a dremel to do the cutting but the sticker on the sheet said to use a knife to score it and snap it.

Now lay the thin light diffuser over the egg create and at each of the 4 corners drill 2 holes in the thin light diffuser so that they span one of the lines in the egg create.

Put a nylon zip tie through the 2 holes you just drilled and over the one line in the egg create. This will hold the thin light diffuser in place so it wont curl up or droop down into the tank.

hope this makes sense,
Stephen

Genyosha
03-26-2003, 10:18 PM
Thanks Stephen,

Now that makes a lot of sense and actually gives me a great idea with the tank.

Thanks!

thebaglady
03-27-2003, 11:28 AM
I believe I was mentioning about the fluor. light panels.

The egg crate is a common thing too. It's mainly used between fighting cichlids as a tank divider. It's another material cheap and easy to work with. I break each little "square" with a pliers.

Just like with the straight edge and box cutter for the thin panels, you can get pretty adept at getting just the right size for the egg crate.

Good luck with your big tops.