PDA

View Full Version : Colour/Size ratio

remikz
03-25-2003, 06:18 PM
Today I went to a well respected British Discus breeders shop. Steve Punchard. He has recently moved and isn't fully set up yet. I went in the hope of finding some nice 'Red Turks' to add to my tank, but I was dissapointed. A lot of the fish seemed in a bad way. But the RTs had absolutly no colour and were just beige. They were around 3-4" and about the same size as my current fish. I was fairly disapointed because I had travelled a good distance.

Tomorrow I shall be travelling about the same distance in the opposite direction to 'Shirley Aquatics' which is another shop renown for discus here in the UK. My question is what should I be expecting to find in the way of fish colour? I'm looking at 3.5 to 4.5" fish here Red Turquoise. I understand that fish colour up with age and proper care, but I have seen fish at this size very well coloured, so why are some so dull?

Thank you all

-Ian

Carol_Roberts
03-25-2003, 06:54 PM
Discus that are colorfed will exhibit more red at a younger age. This is NOT the same as hormones. It is eating foods with lots of red pigment. I don't know how some breeders get their turks and leopards to color up so quickly. Mine are still kinda tan at that size :-\

remikz
03-25-2003, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the swift reply Carol. :)

Would they all colour though? I know it may be hard to tell how much but they must all become proper RTs yes?

--Ian

Carol_Roberts
03-25-2003, 08:40 PM
Yes, they will color up as they mature

remikz
03-26-2003, 05:32 AM
Thanks again Carol,

Is there any way to tell the ones that will have better colour?

I noticed that some RTs don't have pattern or colour all over their body.

thanks.

--Ian

03-26-2003, 10:18 AM
Steve fish are most probably home grown and bred locally. These are the original color. Most imports are either color enhanced or hormoned and show color very early. Some breeders may call it their trade secret. Nothing but CR5 or CR6 hormone. They are usually egg eaters or impossible to breed. Most doesn't grow more than 5". If you see a 2" fish full of pattern, brightly colored and going up and down the glass agressively.. Don't buy them. They will die in a heart attack at the early age.
Jimmy

ian
03-28-2003, 12:03 PM
I have bought fish from Steve Punchard over about 8 years, most recently some wilds in Jan before he moved. I have always been very pleased with the fish, they have coloured up brilliantly, have been healthy and I would not buy from anywhere else.

Shirley Aquatics is only a couple of miles from my home, they have some good looking discus on sale, and I get all my fish food and other goods from there. But I would ALWAYS get my fish from a breeder who does it as part of his living and knows/loves the fish, and Steve has certainly filled the bill for me.

One last point, I would always call before driving a long distance. Steve has told me in the past to leave it a month or so while he grows on some fish, in other words, check before driving to avoid disappointment.

Desertdrifter
03-28-2003, 11:06 PM
uoch!I just bought 12 fish that were imported from asia when I asked the supplier why they were so colorful he said that is the way asian fish are.Ignorance is bliss.I am hoping to get some pairs and babies is that unreasonable. hope I am not butting in on a thread but adding to it. Thanks D.D.