PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone done this

iceskater
03-28-2003, 10:01 AM
Hi,

I am thinking of setting up 2 different tanks. One with Discus and another one with Angel Fish. Raising both of them till they are adults then intermixing them. Would this work?. My thinking is I would know both tanks are healthy by time they are adults..

What are your opinions?

Mr.Trips
03-28-2003, 12:59 PM
Nope, Nope, Nope, Angels are so aggressive that even with adult discus they would bully them around, and if the angels happen to spawn, watch out!

The angels are also very active and fast food eaters, your best to leave your discus with themselves and some calm tank mates like Neons, Cardinials, and Rummys

jklnbrg
03-28-2003, 05:43 PM
Nope, Nope, Nope, Angels are so aggressive that even with adult discus they would bully them around, and if the angels happen to spawn, watch out!

The angels are also very active and fast food eaters, your best to leave your discus with themselves and some calm tank mates like Neons, Cardinials, and Rummys

Not always so. In my 150 I have 2 discus pairs and 1 angel pair. One pair of discus have in the past 3 weeks spawned at the same tiem as the angels. Thye two spawning sites are maybe a foot apart. The angels leve the discus eggs alone, the discus don't bother the angels.

There are few rules to all this, only experiences.

John

Richman
03-28-2003, 08:53 PM
Some they do and some they don't,
And some you just can't tell.
Some they will and some they won't,
And some it's just as well.

iceskater
03-28-2003, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the replies. I had thought I had read somewhere that once adult the risks of problems were low. Sounds like that is something, I wished I read. I will stay with the Discus.

Karen

Ryan
03-29-2003, 05:50 AM
The main issue I suppose is that you're dealing with cichlids, and every cichlid has a different personality. If you were to go and buy guppies, then it's easy to judge their behavior in general. With cichlids, you never know. I've had very peaceful angels and angels that couldn't wait to kill any and every tankmate I added. I've kept angels with fish from neon tetras all the way up to adult breeding severums.

The only way to ever know in your own tank is to try it and see. A big tank would be better and it'd be best not to outnumber the discus with angelfish. If either of the fish seem to be getting picked on or singled out, maybe it's not such a good idea. But I've done it, and it worked out okay. While I've found that juveniles of both species have similar appetites (discus babies can eat!), adult angels are usually more aggressive eaters than adult discus, and that could lead to maybe a competition problem when it comes to feeding.

Ryan