PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing Discus

iceskater
03-28-2003, 10:06 AM
I am buying at least 4 Discus from Jeff over the next few weeks. I want a Super Melon, Marlboro Red, darn forgot the name of the other one, it was bright red and had white fins. And a colbalt blue.

My question is, since I am getting 4 different strains of Discus instead of all the same strain, what risks am I taking??

Thanks Karen

I am sure you can tell I am a newbie.

henryD
03-28-2003, 10:31 AM
I have 6 domestic discus. 3 red and 1 cobalt and 2 tur. I think someone mentioned it was more important to have them the same size verus strains. I did noticed that the 3 red i have seem to stay together though. I am not sure it makes that big of a difference as everyone has a number of different strains in their collections. As long as they are the same size or close in size i would say your ok.

However, there are a lot more experience guys on the forum. So I am sure your going to get some good advice.

Mr.Trips
03-28-2003, 01:03 PM
Strange that you asked this, I have 5 red turks in the same tank with one cobalt blue, even though the red turks are different sizes, they stay together. My Cobalt is all by himself! I would try getting 2 of each color IMO. I forgot Karen, your putting them in a 29 G tank?

gemamanda
03-28-2003, 04:57 PM
I've kind of had an opposite encounter when it comes to mixing strains and sizes. I have 2's of 4 different strains and it seems that most of them actually "pair" up with others of a different strain and size all together! There is a 2" cobalt with a 4" red leopard that look like they are hooking up right now. :D

iceskater
03-28-2003, 11:40 PM
Yes, I want to grow them in a 29g tank, I figure by time they grown out. I will have finally parted with the community fish I have in the other 29 gallon. And have 2 different tanks. Until I can gather enough money to buy a bigger setup.

I am not interested in pairing. I was thinking more along the lines of having 1 strain of discus would that increase the risk of each of the Discus becoming a runt????

Karen

Ryan
03-29-2003, 06:00 AM
Many people have noted that discus of the same "variety" (the word 'strain' doesn't sit well with most people because in order to be a 'strain' it has to breed fairly true, and a lot of discus crosses do not) tend to stick together or stay in their own little groups. However, they are all discus, regardless of the color type or pattern. As long as the fish are the same size, there's nothing wrong with mixing fish of different varieties.

However, discus develop a social pecking order. There will always be a low guy on the totem pole, and while he may not runt out at a completely small size, he may still not grow quite as large as the rest of his tankmates. The only way to avoid that completely IMO is to buy adult discus.

I have a small red turquoise discus in my heckel tank. They ignored him for many months but he eventually became part of their pecking order. Believe it or not, he's not the lowest fish on the chain, as most would suspect. So I guess he's been accepted into the group.

Ryan

engineguy129
03-29-2003, 04:41 PM
Hi Iceskater,
I bought my fish from Jeff as well, you are in for a treat! Jeff has great service and excellent fish. Here are a few pics...enjoy and good luck!

Rob ;D

engineguy129
03-29-2003, 04:45 PM
another

Carol_Roberts
03-29-2003, 05:08 PM
Beautiful Discus, Rob! I love the color on the snakeskin.

iceskater
03-29-2003, 06:19 PM
Thanks so much for the pictures. I am getting so excited. Sure wish I did not have to wait. But I am learning patience....

Karen