PDA

View Full Version : Various Questions

remikz
03-28-2003, 08:18 PM
I'd like to start by saying a big thanks to eveyone on the board for being so helpful and for giving me such positive feedback. I hope none of you mind me posting more questions but there are still some things I would like to clear up.

1.) Discus that live in RO water need to have nutrient and mineral suppliments added back to the water, this is for health and growth right? But I don't use RO water in my tank. What I would like to know is, if it is best to use these mineral suppliments in the water anyway to make sure that the water is of good mineral quality etc, or would this put too much of a good thing into the water?

2.) Feeding muscles to discus. Does anyone here advise that I feed my Discus on muscle meat? does anyone else feed muscle to their Discus? Also what do you feed them? Right now I feed mine on Frozen Bloodworm, Tetra Prima, frozen Beefheart mix and Muscle meat.

3.) I notice that the two discus in my tank that don't feed as much have white none solid feces. What is the best way to treat for internal parasites etc to clear my tank of disease? Please give products :)

4.) I would like to keep my tank healthy, which means ridding the fish of any Bacterial or Protozoan infections as well as Parasites, How and what should I treat my tank with?

Thanks for reading and for helping

--Ian :P

Carol_Roberts
03-28-2003, 11:14 PM
.) Discus that live in RO water need to have nutrient and mineral suppliments added back to the water, this is for health and growth right? But I don't use RO water in my tank. What I would like to know is, if it is best to use these mineral suppliments in the water anyway to make sure that the water is of good mineral quality etc, or would this put too much of a good thing into the water?Most of us have mineral rich water. Those few with very soft water may benefit from the addition of minerals

2.) Feeding muscles to discus. Does anyone here advise that I feed my Discus on muscle meat? does anyone else feed muscle to their Discus? Also what do you feed them? Right now I feed mine on Frozen Bloodworm, Tetra Prima, frozen Beefheart mix and Muscle meat.muscle meat still contains a lot of fat. Live foods such as tiny earth worms are and black worms are best for discus

3.) I notice that the two discus in my tank that don't feed as much have white none solid feces. What is the best way to treat for internal parasites etc to clear my tank of disease? Please give products A product containing metronidazole would be used to treat intestinal flagellates that produce the above symptoms

4.) I would like to keep my tank healthy, which means ridding the fish of any Bacterial or Protozoan infections as well as Parasites, How and what should I treat my tank with?The best way to reduce the chance of bacterial and protozoa infections is with large daily water changes, wipe down the tank walls and bottom at least once a week and keep your filters clean. If you buy sick or infected fish you will have to treat them with a medication specific to the ailment