PDA

View Full Version : will hormoned fish breed? are my fish hormoned?

Desertdrifter
03-29-2003, 11:55 AM
my fish seem to have alot of color for their size 2.5"-3". they look as if they might be fully colored up.I kept Discus befor and the babies were tan or brown. they were imorted from asia. I asked the dealer why they were so colorfull he said that is the way asian fish are.They have been in my tank for two weeks most of the fish have black pigment on fins and part of thier bodies the blue fish seem to have a blochy color.Other than color they are very healthy. next am I doomed to failure. will they breed and reach full size. THANKS D.D

Carol_Roberts
03-29-2003, 12:33 PM
Do you have orange discus with black peppering? If yes, they are pigeon bloods which color up much earlier than the turquoise discus. If you have fully colored red spotted oriental leopards (or whatever) at 2 1/2 inches you either have stunded adults or perhaps hormoned juveniles.

wo
03-29-2003, 12:35 PM
Hi:

What strain are they? Some strains color up early and some are much slow. Some of the asian discus are injected harmone for better color at early stage and some are feeding natural coloring food. I have once bought three 2 inches blue diasmonds with eyes very big, small bodies and extremely blue color. They were injected/feeding harmone and still are quite small compare to others discus. They are still the most blue and small discus in my tank.

Desertdrifter
03-29-2003, 04:49 PM
I dont know if they are from pigion blood two are called tangereane dream I dont remember the other names sorry.

Carol_Roberts
03-29-2003, 05:04 PM
Tangerine dream is pigeon blood

April
03-29-2003, 08:57 PM
Theres another possibility and that is they are 2 inch fish.but way older and didnt grow to their full potential. that you can tell from the size of their eye. if they have a very big eye....then they could be stunted. sometimes happens in fish from lfs as not proper care .
Id say its either this or they were colour fed . or hormoned. they could fade....if hormoned you can see alot of red in their fins.
pigeon bloods are never brown.only the little barred guys are brown as youngsters. and unfortunately lfs usually dont want those ones.as no one wants to buy little brown fish.
I had a lfs owner say she wanted home grown fish from a local breeder. so i said i may have some..so when i did she asked me what colour. i said brown.....and she of course said...oh....no......we dont want little brown ones.
so guess she will have to continue on with buying her brightly coloured ones from imports after all.

03-30-2003, 06:03 AM
Most breeders has their own trade secrets which are highly guarded and only pass on to family members. The secret is how to make their discus more colorful than their next door neighbours. Hormone if you use it correctly can color up a discus a few days before selling and all black dust of the pigeon blood completely disappear. Fins are clear with bright red eyes. Eat very aggressively and attack the glass when some potential buyers approach the tank. Some may even breed successfully at 3.5". Most are home made from a Pituitary gland of an animal and some can be bought from a manufacturer exclusively for breeders by White Crane company in Asia. The fact is nobody interested in a dull looking discus. Your business will crash if you don't use color enhancer or hormone one way or another. Competition judge will walk pass your tank without looking. Do you want your spouse and children to look clean and colorful? :-X 8) :PI being a personal plastic surgeon of Micheal J. mainly respronsible for his nose. ;D ;D ;D Homone or color enhanced facial and chest make overs. The rich and famous do make themselves look good.JMHO.
Jimmy.

CARY_GLdiscus
03-30-2003, 01:01 PM
Hi Jimmy,
to remove blk from pb hormones are not used!

hyde baths my brother!