PDA

View Full Version : Water Changer

Ardan
03-29-2003, 06:05 PM
This is my water changer pump and hose. It is a submersible sump pump I bought at Menards (like Home Depot). It is 1/4 hp, 115 volt , 6 amps. It will pump 20 gallons/ minute at 5 feet height (1260 gallons/hour), or 8 gallons / minute at 21 ft height.
I have a one inch clear plastic hose attached to it and a 1 inch pvc valve (so I can shut the valve when the aquarium is full)
I put this in the water barrel to fill the aquarium. I have also put it in the aquarium to empty the aquarium. ( I only have one tank I use it on, so no cross contamination)
It is fast and no buckets to haul.
I also use a siphon that has a valve. It is continuously hooked up and in the tank, with the other end of that hose always to the drain. Whenever I want to siphon waste out of the tank , I just open the valve and siphon.

keith_cny
03-29-2003, 08:18 PM
Nice Ardan,

How far do you pump the water? How much did you pay for the pump?

I like the pvc U-shape HOF piece. I was thinking about make pvc drain fill tubes to permanently mount in my tanks but I think I just my try like yours. Looks easier and can put away when done.

Thanks a bunch for posting the picture.

Keith

Ardan
03-30-2003, 08:04 AM
Hi Keth,
the pump cost about 55 to 60 $ US. The hose cost about 20$. I pump about 25 feet, I can go over that though (the hose is 30 Feet and I have another 10 feet of it I can hook on, for expansion someday ;D)
The valve and fittings cost another 10 to 15 $.

50 % wc on a 50 gallon takes about 15 to 20 minutes, including wiping tank, setup, and putting everything away, and getting water barrel setup to fill (25% tap, then start RO on timer)
hth
You're welcome :)

jgunja
01-10-2008, 09:35 PM
Great idea Ardan. I set one up for my 2 tanks, I am just getting started, via small fountail water pumps, the same way you do.

I like your siphon idea, and will mimick it if you don't mind.:p