PDA

View Full Version : How much fighting is too much?

GWdiscus
04-01-2003, 10:36 PM
I've got a group of seven assorted juvenile discus I had for over a month now. They are starting to settle down alittle and not freak out near as much or as hard as they first were. Feeding time is three to four times a day, beefheart, bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, and sometype of discus pellet, all of which they eat readily. There is one, the smallest at about 2.5", a peach panda is the bully of the bunch. It will go after everyone of the others accept the largest 3.5" yellow discus. The other discus are about 3". There is one red marlboro that is constantly fighting with this little peach panda. They lock lips and bite at each others foreheads or but the center of the other's body.
Is this normal, should I think about separating them, what should I look for or could I even do anything to prevent this?
Any help would be a great help.
Michael

dm
04-01-2003, 10:44 PM
As long as there is no apparent injury and everyone is allowed to eat I don't think it is a big deal. I bet that Peach won't be the smallest for long though. :D

pigeon
04-01-2003, 11:19 PM
usually you will see them fighting before they are pairing up, probably some of them are marking their territory...am I right guys?

GWdiscus
04-01-2003, 11:25 PM
They're too young to start pairing up, aren't they? When do pairs begin to pick each other? These guys are around three to four months old.

pigeon
04-02-2003, 12:00 AM
in this case maybe they are just playful...Usually they will start pairing when they are 10-12 months

Carol_Roberts
04-02-2003, 12:23 AM
This is typical juvenile discus behavior and the reason we suggest getting 6 or more discus - it spreads out the aggression. I agree with dm . . . as long as no one is hurt and everyone is eating it's not a problem