PDA

View Full Version : White Flea like BUGS in water

giroux68
04-02-2003, 10:52 AM
I have these tiny white bugs! they are too small to get photos of or I would post one. They are everywhere though. Im thinking these might have been part of the problem with my discus. From what I can see, they have 4 or 6 legs on the front part of the body and a bulbus back end ( kind of like an ant ) Any thoughts on what they are and how to get rid of them? The tank only has plants now, no fish.

brewmaster15
04-02-2003, 10:56 AM
They are most likely Copepods...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=6860

to get rid of them.. increase your water changes and clean your sponges more often.

hth,
al

ps... Very common in fish tanks, and should not pose a direct threat to your fish. Though some are parasitic, and they can act as a host for some tape worms.... Copepods are in everyones tanks.

giroux68
04-02-2003, 01:36 PM
Thanks. Do you know what will kill them? I have only plants in the tank now. I want to get rid of these before I get more Discus.

brewmaster15
04-02-2003, 03:47 PM
These things are indestructible. Its not worth the effort to use meds to kill them. believe me.. I have tried many!

water changes and hygiene will control them. Copper may work... but your plants may suffer.

hth,
al

giroux68
04-02-2003, 04:21 PM
Nothing worse than an indestructable BUG !!!
At least they eat algea according to the links.

brewmaster15
04-02-2003, 05:40 PM
uhhh...most do. There are some that like sushi though! ;D
-al

ronrca
04-03-2003, 01:15 PM
Had or have some bugs in my planted tank also. Im battling algae because of switching fertilizers which is slowly coming under control. Come water change time, lots of algae on the glass and you should of seen the white worms on the glass! I scrubbed the glass and vacuumed the gravel really good. Seems to of cleared up. Do these worms also consume left over food? Ive increased feeding over the last few weeks also therefore wondering if that be the cause of massive reproduction!

brewmaster15
04-03-2003, 05:15 PM
Hi Ron,
Those worms on the glass are planaria, and they do increase with organic load in the tank :)

-al

ronrca
04-03-2003, 06:01 PM
Planaria? Interesting! Side effects to fish and plants? They look like white worms around 3/4" long and move funny like they drag themselves instead of slither. So, decrease feeding and vacuum lots to combat?

brewmaster15
04-03-2003, 06:17 PM
Harmless to both plants and fish... they are scavengers...but have been accused of liking discus eggs. >:(

in a bare glass tank....salt at 1 tablespoon /1 gal works... in planted...that may harm them... maybe add some additional cleaning crew fishes, wipe down the sides, and clean the filters more often?

-al

debgrl
04-29-2003, 12:28 PM
i had the same problem just a few days ago. small little white flea things on the glass and small tiny worms swimming in the water. i have since added a school of 10 cardinal tetras, 5 neon tetras, and one insistrus pleco. they devoured everything. tank is sparkling clean. :D deb.