PDA

View Full Version : water changes on the first day?

Fish Freak
04-02-2003, 03:13 PM
Hi Guys and Gals

Im new at this and I was wondering should I do water changes on the first day? Also what is the best way of getting them ready for the new tank like floating?

Thanks
Josh

spartyblaze
04-02-2003, 04:09 PM
Josh,

I'm not really sure what you mean by 'floating, but in my short career as a discus keeper, I would recommend that you change your water the first day, the second day, the third day, and so on and so on. I think that most of the other board member's would probably agree with that. The best way is to 'age' your water for 24hrs in some sort of holding tank, to allow chlorine, nitrates, cloramines, etc. (if you have them) to be disolved by the treatment product you use. Good luck

Ryan

Fish Freak
04-02-2003, 04:43 PM
What I meant is how do I introduce the fish into the aquarium.

Thanks
josh

dm
04-02-2003, 07:04 PM
Hi Josh,
The best way I have found to acclamate Discus is to empty the bag into a bucket and add a cup of water from your tank every 5 minutes or so for about an hour. Once in a while I take a cup back out so it doesnt get too full. I have never had problems doing it this way. hth.

CHughes
04-02-2003, 08:31 PM
Fish Freak:
Using the cup of water every 5 minutes for about an hour is a good way. What I do is sort of similar.

With the fish in a holding bucket, I use air line hose with a small clamp and syphon (drip) the the tank water into the bucket for about hour...depending the difference of pH of the new home tank and the pH of the lfs or original water. The more the difference the longer the time.

It works well and I haven't had any problems aclimitizing (sp?) new fish.

Chris

Carol_Roberts
04-02-2003, 08:53 PM
Hi Josh:

Is the pH of your tank water similar or higher than the pH of the water the discus came from? If yes, reach into bag, gently grasp discus and plop in tank.

If your pH is lower then 24 hours prior to discus arrival raise your pH with a bit of baking soda until it matches the water discus were raised in. Reach into bag, gently grasp discus . . . Daily water changes will acclimate discus to your water.

I make sure tank is full of clean, pH stable water prior to new discus arrival. Water change as usual next day.

I'm assuming tank has fully cycled filter? What kind of discus are you getting?

dm
04-02-2003, 09:00 PM
That sounds better yet Carol. :)