PDA

View Full Version : Continual Color Change!

amirnezhad
04-02-2003, 04:43 PM
Hi,

2 weeks ago I was in a trip and when I came back I did not feel any problem about my fishes, but now it is 3 days that one of my fises, the biggest one (4") started to continual color change, Sometimes he is in his regular color and other times his color changes to dark! but he brith regulary and eat very good!
Whould you please tell me what may done this to my fish?
Thanks

GWdiscus
04-02-2003, 09:35 PM
I'm still young to this hobby but quick color change can indicate a wide range of problems. What are the characterictis of your water, pH, hardness, etc.? My fish have slowly begun to change to a brighter color but quick changes indicate other problems.
Iran, cool! Where?
Its the great thing about this forum, everyone from around the world can find help, hope your fish comes around.
Daily water changes with a teaspoon of salt per every 10 gallons does wonders.
Good luck and keep in touch.
Michael

Carol_Roberts
04-03-2003, 03:09 AM
You'll have to do some detective work of your own. does he turn dark after water changes, or after eating? Or perhaps if you've gone too long between water changes . . . any other symptoms like hiding, cloudy eyes? do the other fish chase him? Observe him and see if you can find the answer.

amirnezhad
04-03-2003, 05:51 PM
Thanks GMW :)
I am still young to Discus too, I said that I did not have this problem before trip, but when I came back and do the first water change (~ 50%) only one of my fishes (the biggest one) started to this!
Yes I am from Iran, Tehran and I am very glad to find this usefull forum, There is many things to learn here and this help me to have a good start with this kind of beautiful fish :)
Do you add regular salt or epsom salt to your water for each water change? because some body (I can not remmember who!) said that there is no need to add salt into water for water change, before!

I'm still young to this hobby but quick color change can indicate a wide range of problems. What are the characterictis of your water, pH, hardness, etc.? My fish have slowly begun to change to a brighter color but quick changes indicate other problems.
Iran, cool! Where?
Its the great thing about this forum, everyone from around the world can find help, hope your fish comes around.
Daily water changes with a teaspoon of salt per every 10 gallons does wonders.
Good luck and keep in touch.
Michael

amirnezhad
04-03-2003, 05:55 PM
Thanks Carol :)
Usually its happend after eating, I think there is not any other kind of symptoms that you said in my fish but I can not undrestand what does the CLOUDY EYES means, however I can not see any deference from before!

You'll have to do some detective work of your own. does he turn dark after water changes, or after eating? Or perhaps if you've gone too long between water changes . . . any other symptoms like hiding, cloudy eyes? do the other fish chase him? Observe him and see if you can find the answer.

Don_Lee
04-03-2003, 05:57 PM
No need to add salt to water changes IMO. However, if you have illness then salt and high heat is usually recommended. I would not worry too much about the fish if it is eating and swimming well, just ease back into your water changes and see what happens. Let us know if any symptoms appear.

Don ;D

amirnezhad
04-03-2003, 06:06 PM
Hopefullymy fish eats and swims very well and I can not find any other symptoms, The only things that may I ask this question is that it is about 5 days that I see this quick color change!

Thanks Don

Smokey
04-04-2003, 09:29 PM
Ali: a few questions:
1-how old is the discus
2-does it change when it is surprized[ sudden movement, etc.]
3-turns dark... perhaps ths discus was very relaxed/calm
4-my discus , 11 months old, offer me a rainbow of color shades, especially when I am close to the tank watching them. I feel they are comfortable with my face. !!!???
5-changing from a natural tone to a dark tone - maybe their natural defense behaviour. In the wild discus have to look as invisible as possible.
6- fed and fat, the disucs may just be relaxing. trying to blend into the tall grasses of home.
No sense looking like a good meal for another fish[piranna].

hth

Smokey

amirnezhad
04-04-2003, 09:50 PM
Dear Smokey,
Thanks for your attention and there is your answers
1) I realy do not know how old is he :( Because I bought him from sombody that did not know his age
2) No, usually it happend after feeding him.
3) I can not understand what do you mean, do you mean that this is good?
4) Sometimes I feel something like what you said, but realy can not belive that ???

However I think that there is less color change and most times he is in his regular color,
Realy thanks again :)

Ali: a few questions:
1-how old is the discus
2-does it change when it is surprized[ sudden movement, etc.]
3-turns dark... perhaps ths discus was very relaxed/calm
4-my discus , 11 months old, offer me a rainbow of color shades, especially when I am close to the tank watching them. I feel they are comfortable with my face. !!!???
5-changing from a natural tone to a dark tone - maybe their natural defense behaviour. In the wild discus have to look as invisible as possible.
6- fed and fat, the disucs may just be relaxing. trying to blend into the tall grasses of home.
No sense looking like a good meal for another fish[piranna].

hth

Smokey

Smokey
04-04-2003, 11:11 PM
Ali; good to hear from you.
I think the color changes are just a refelx action; to stress, objects moving about the tank.
You did mention you were away for two weeks. the discus proberly got comfortable and with your return he was ''surprised''.
Mine have gotton comfortable with me around. However, when some one new arrives they scurry away and show their vertical bars. And they do darkin'.

Is the discus in good health[???]. A visual look should tell you that.

Smokey

discus_nw
04-05-2003, 02:41 AM
Maybe it's one of those "Chameleon Discus" I have seen on Aqiabid. ;) ;D

gemamanda
04-05-2003, 12:23 PM
I have a sort of similar occurance with my two cobalts! Except in my case, they turn very light colored while they are feeding and then go back to the dark colorings afterward. :)