PDA

View Full Version : great thermometer idea (I think anyway)

Desertdrifter
04-02-2003, 10:02 PM
I bought a digital thermometer ,one that shows inside and outside temp. with memory.($16.00) taped the outdoor sensor to the side of my tank with some soft foam insulation over it.it is always 2 deg. cooler than the actual temp. but real accurate.saved my bacon twice so far ,once I was pumping water out of the rong storage tank ,the unheated one! once I accdentaly unpluged one of my heaters. 150 gallons takes a long time to heat up so you dont want it to get cold . digital thermometers show changes fast. also shows if there is a problem when you are not around. like at night when the light are off and you have the temp in youre house down.

henryD
04-02-2003, 10:15 PM
great which model and where did you get it?

Desertdrifter
04-02-2003, 10:20 PM
any hardware store they are real common its just a household thermometer that shows out door temps and has a remote sensor .

Tony
04-02-2003, 11:46 PM
I use to put the outdoor probe directly into water. The outdoor probe suppose to be hermatically sealed. ( the great thing is it measure max and min) It gives you an idea of how much temp swing at wc.
I work quite well for close to a year. Then it stop working submersed.

At the moment the digital thermometer actually is measuring outdoor temp and indoor temp.

RandalB
04-02-2003, 11:57 PM
I use the Taylor instruments 1420 indoor outdoor thermometer, $8.81 usually accurate to within 1 degree F.

You can get them at Partshelf.com:

http://www.partshelf.com/temperature.html

HTH,
RandalB

korbi_doc
04-03-2003, 12:15 PM
:bounce2: :bounce2: I'm using the Lifeguard digital temp alert on the 2 main tanks & the QT. Guess my paranoia is showing cuz they're more expensive than RandalBs idea, which I think is a good one. These have a top & bottom temp to set & when exceeded in either direction sets off an alarm. I need extra help cuz I don't think to check temps regularly, always in a hurry, & this eases my mind (what mind?) :blockhead: :blockhead: anyway, JMO (guess my age is showing again, hahahahahaha! lol, Dottie ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)