PDA

View Full Version : what is your main job.

Pages : [1] 2

henryD
04-03-2003, 10:36 AM
Since I have joined in Febuary. I have meet a number of very interesting people. It is not surprising to see that discus is mostly a hobby for everyone and not their means of making a living. However, I was surprise that many of us have similar interest. So I am curious to see what people job and hobbies are?

I work in a computer hardware company. But my interest includes anything that has to do with water and nature in general, photography, and skiing. There are other things but those are the ones I love the most.

ronrca
04-03-2003, 01:57 PM
I agree! Simplydiscus has a wealth of people in very interesting and helpful careers.

Im a Electrical Engineering Technologist working for an electrical engineering company as Senior Designer and Team Leader for the drafting department. For the last 4 years, I have primarily been designing power layouts (transformers, primary, lot services) and street lighting for new subdivisions in Edmonton and Northern Alberta. Just recently I have ventured into telecommunication designs/drafting also for new subdivisions. I have also been involved in designing coal mines, conveyor systems, utility high voltage power line applications, etc, etc. I have also had hands on experience in wiring houses, running cable, installing receptacles, the whole works!

Now, my dream job! A Marine Biologist! Then I can be with fish all day! Preferrably discus but not limited to! Just being able to scuba dive near the Bahamas on a mission! Or even the amazon!

Interests! First, discus! Second, discus! Third down to around 10th, discus! After that, I actually love music therefore I am currently taking violin lessons, also play trumpet and piano. I enjoy computer games and reading. All in all, I never have enough time therefore I need to retire somewhere warm. I also love sports but that seems to be at the bottom of the list as I rarely have time for it!

brewmaster15
04-03-2003, 02:45 PM
My current job is Owner and Administrator of SimplyDiscus.com and SimplyCichlids.com. ;) :)

I am also....
Primary Caregiver for hundreds of adopted animals, primarily of the Piscine and reptilian species.

...oh and as a hobby I work for a research Company in the field of Biotechnology. Emphasis on drug discovery, Diabetic complications, and currently...Assay development for using lasers, fluorescence and antibodies. :)

for hobbies...

visit..
http://www.Simplydiscus.com
http://www.Simplycichlids.com
http://www.ctdiscus.com
http://www.boghopper.freeservers.com

-al ;D

chuck
04-03-2003, 03:55 PM
I work in the IT Department for a NY/CT Railroad (21 yrs). counting the days that I will be eligible to retrire (3,285 days left ! ::) ;D ) 30 yrs in and age 55 8) unless they go about changing it >:(
At that time hope to become a LFS owner... LOL... As that song by Bare Naked ladies goes.. "if I had a million dollars..." :-\

chuck

ronrca
04-03-2003, 05:04 PM
Darn Chuck! I still have 10585 days left! :'( :'( :'( :'( >:(

aloha_discus
04-04-2003, 12:32 AM
Aloha, I work for a large retail chain (W-M) :) as part of the security dept. I love my job but my passion and my obbsession is Discus first,Angels and now gold and blue rams. Oh I better rearrange that discus, WIFE then so forth.LOL. MY discus have helped in my recovery from a transplant and my beautiful wife was my donor 1in approx. a million or so. :-X

Mahalo Ike ;D

brewmaster15
04-04-2003, 01:35 AM
Hi Ike!

MY discus have helped in my recovery from a transplant and my beautiful wife was my donor 1in approx. a million or so.

You are truelly lucky@!

-al

RandalB
04-04-2003, 02:45 AM
Hi all,

Police officer, cross trained as a police marksman and firearms instructor.

I also do Reverse Osmosis system design, construction and repair. (In my spare time I also build and repair computers for family and friends.)

RandalB

amirnezhad
04-04-2003, 04:18 AM
Hi all,
Computer programmer, Now I am working in a RND department of a company that works on Steel Eng.
As a hobby I love to keep fishes, work with computer (internet & platform programming) and tennis & swimming
After I found here, I kept fishes only because of their beauty and there was no other reason, but now I find this usefull forum and now keeping fishes is like a challenge to me because I want to keep them in the best way and have a complete hobby, I want to test my ability to breed them and ...

I am so sorry because of my bad english, I am working on it to make it better :-[

ronrca
04-04-2003, 10:52 AM
Ali,
Your English is very good! No need to be shy about it! I love hearing from people ALL over the world. Thats what makes the internet so wonderful.

Randal,
:computer2: :computer2: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:
Im a good boy! I didnt speed this morning! LOL! One of my childhood dreams btw Randal! Must be very interesting at times!

henryD
04-04-2003, 12:02 PM
Aloha Mike....

There is a very interesting article in the National Geographics about hawaii. I think it was a couple months ago. Ever since then though I have been trying to read everything about it.

Are you a kanaka maoli?

It is good to hear that your doing well. Your wife was you donor? Wow talk about soul mate.

Darren
04-04-2003, 09:05 PM
I am a sales guy and work for a company based in K.C., Freightquote.com, an online freight solution. Anybody needing to move some freight call me :)

Besides Discus, my hobbies include Bowhunting which I don't get to do much of anymore and raising the best two boys in world, Dalton & Dayton which are 5 and 11 months respectively.

Darren

mrespo
04-04-2003, 10:34 PM
How's it going!

I don't get a chance to post much because of this peskey little annoyance called work. But truthfully, I do enjoy it. I am a regestered nurse in Michigan. In addition to my nursing degree, I also have degrees in psychology and biology. Really helps when I'm all stressed out because my discus won't spawn. A little self therapy goes a long way.

My other interests include photography, music (I play the piano), and my kids (I have three of them). Oh, yeah, I have a wife, too.

Anyway, I am at last happy because one of my two pairs finally did spawn and I have about 60 little fry. They are two weeks old now and in their own tank. They are a turq and striated red cross. The pair happened quite by accident, but I am anxious to see what happens with this group.

Gotta go for now. See ya later.

Mike

RandalB
04-05-2003, 05:13 PM
Ronrca,
Never a dull moment! ;D

Why not go for it?

RandalB

engineguy129
04-06-2003, 09:14 PM
Hi all,
Well my main job (only job) is Crew Chief and sometimes acting Non Commisioned Officer In Charge of the General Electric Section, what does that mean....I am an NCO in the USAF, I work on jet engines to have included F119 (F-22 Raptor), F110-129/100 (F-16), TF-34 (A-10) and F118-100 (Stealth Bomber B-2). I have been in for 12 years and only have 8 more years till I retire. I have been stationed in Korea (4 years), all over the US and Germany (3years).

As fars as my hobbies go I am an avid outdoorsman, I grew up hunting and fishing in the hills of Northern California (Tahoe Area). I think that is my 1st love! Though I am new to Discus...I am falling sick to them very quickly. I lose myself in their beauty...........

Rob ;D

mench
04-08-2003, 09:34 AM
My MAIN job is keeping the bride happy so she will let me do all my hobbies ::) I am retired (for 6 yrs now) after 30 yrs at Kodak.
Hobbies...DISCUS,I love watching them,taking care of them,trying to get them to breed (not a whole lot of luck ,yet). Playing with my grandson....Collecting M.Jordan stuff...And next to discus my biggest hobby is our cars...I have been "into " cars since I was old enough to read all the car mags.We currently have 3 in the garage,wating for the dam snow to go away...4 more inches last nite....we have a 39 chev street rod,49 Hudson and a 71 chev chevelle convt.,which I drag race a few time a yr against other car clubs.Also enjoy going to drag races,we just got in last nite from Las Vegas,where we went with 5 other couples for the races,which wrer great and while we were there we also got to go to dinner with our discus friends Steve and Marci Warner

brewmaster15
04-08-2003, 10:21 AM
Sure Ron,

Rub it in! :)

-al

paulmat
04-19-2003, 12:41 PM
My occupation is a Respiratory Therapist, I work in the NICU with the premie babies. I also do fixed wing medical transports all over the world.
I am also a musician and DJ. I have been playing music and singing for allmost as long as I have kept discus.

Paul :guitarist:

ReeferKimberly
04-20-2003, 06:08 PM
I have two jobs,
I go to highschool and am almost done with my junior year. I am keeping my grades up so i can graduate early and go on to probobly major in genetics and breed discus (first dream) OR be a cj <----criminal justice major and be in the FBI.

AND, my other "job" is being a cashier and smoothie maker at jamba juice here in NO. Cal.
kim :-*

giroux68
04-29-2003, 09:45 AM
I'm an airline pilot, so my primary job is standing in security lines! Other hobbies - Snowboarding, cycles - motor and bike.

DavidAJ
04-29-2003, 08:16 PM
Hi all ,

Besides being an avid flyfisherman and always combing Simply for advice (this board rocks) I paint houses and cut hair as a side job . I did that for over 20 years and just got burnt on it (my wife loves the fact that she hasn't paid for a cut in over 10 years LOL).

Hey Mench, I'm going to Englishtown for the Mopar parts Nats . been doing that since 71 ! Besides loving my fishies , there is nothing better than nitro in the air !

David

mench
05-22-2003, 07:35 PM
Hey David,great races weren't they??? I saw them on tv,but next yr I am going,my daughter and son-in-law live in NYC,so I am going to stay with them and go to the races...All most got the 71 Chevelle ready for the races,just need a new torque converter with a higher stall speed to handle the new rear end and the engine.

Mench

limige
05-29-2003, 04:06 AM
;D

well i'm a machinist by trade. i've worked in job shops, tool and die and one mold shop. i've run everything from bridgeports, lathes to CNC's and EDM's.

my hobbies/pastimes include
fishing and hunting
car audio
and car's in general. i currently have a 94 camaro that i'm working on. goal is 500hp. i've got a compition cams extreme energy cam sitting on my table waiting to be put in. but i'm replacing the timing chain, doing a vented opti swap, changing to impala gaskets to gain compression and plan to port and polish the heads some. the cam will max out a .555 lift with the 1.6ratio roller rockers. car has single 3" flowmaster all on a LT1 6 Speed running 4:10 gears 8.5" 10bolt with moser axles. supercharger is in the works. ;D

heavyp83
05-29-2003, 11:40 AM
I work at an aquarium shop and go to college studying to be a high school english teacher. Other hobbies = playing bass guitar, bicycles, music, and tattoo art. ;D

DiscusJeff
05-29-2003, 09:14 PM
Computer Software Developer. - Other interests are cycling, auto racing, music.

bryalk1
05-31-2003, 06:39 AM
lets see my main job is father and husband to a wonderful woman who lets me keep cbw in the fridge makes beefheart mix etc, my children are both girls 7 and 3 whom are wonderful as well and put everthing else in perspective. we adopted them from china. i'm also father to a grwing # of discus as well as 2 dogs 2 cats goldfish etc. my other job is as an family psychiatric nurse practioner and an adult medical nurse practitioner. briefly i evaluate and prescribe medications for a variety of conditions. then i rush home to my real job. bryant

yippy
06-06-2003, 05:07 AM
I run my own graphic art business from home. I mainly do advertisements for one large advertising company and a few other smaller freelance things, like business cards etc. Keeps me very busy - too busy in fact. I have 7 fish tanks too and 1 cat so never a dull moment here. I spend alot of time on the weekends scouring round the aquarium shops while my boyfriends at work (hes a bookmaker on the horse racing on saturdays) and i rarely walk out of a fish shop empty handed. By they way brewmaster, i have a red devil as well as my discus and other fish and didnt know about simply cichlids till just know. Im joing up there tomorrow! Wish id heard about simplycichlids sooner. See you there!
Yippy

TOMMY
06-09-2003, 10:15 PM
I work for lawyers in the accounting departmet in NYC. Since middle school I always enjoyed mathematics. I like working with numbers and like organization...(not to the anal point though). I consider math an art in a way...

-Tom-

06-12-2003, 11:20 PM
The stairs that Tony builds ;D

I work for Royal Oak Circular Stairs as a Journeyman carpenter/Shop forman/Master Stair Builder ::) Not so much of a "master" ::) As Ive mastered little...Everyday is a brand new learning experience as nothing is EVER the same!
I build Custom straight and circular hardwood stairs for people with waaay to much money ::) Such as the ones below....which were just finished today, and are destined for Great Falls Montana.

Here ya go...

06-12-2003, 11:21 PM
And another view ;)

06-12-2003, 11:22 PM
Last one! ;D

daninthesand
06-12-2003, 11:46 PM
Tony!

WOW! That is spectacular!!!

I'm green with envy ;D

Daniel

Carol_Roberts
06-13-2003, 12:32 AM
Wow is right. Don't even tell me how you figure out the risers . . I wouldn't understand anyway, lol.

ronrca
06-16-2003, 11:20 AM
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o Wow! Those are nice! How much for those anyways?

I have a buddy in Ontario who also specialies in custom stairs. Unbelievable how much people spend on stairs.
Thanks Tony!

henryD
06-16-2003, 12:46 PM
That is amazing......I have so many questions. It is really nice...

Just curious how much does somehting like that cost?

In case I hit the lottery and want to buy one.

ronrca
06-16-2003, 01:53 PM
Gee Henry! Winning the lottery and buying some stairs! :( Like get real! I would be buying a big house and lots of tanks with discus! ;) ;D

06-16-2003, 02:47 PM
Thanks for all the compliments people....

Ron and Henry...
That particular staircase was sold for just under 9000 dollars (can) The railing system which was sold as prefabed and supply only, was about 13000 (can)
How many do ya want? ;D

Tony

ronrca
06-16-2003, 03:05 PM
:o :o :o :o :o :yikes: :yikes:

I can only dream of spending that sort of money. Mind you, if I would stop spending it on discus I could save it up..............NAH! ;)

Btw, how much to ship to Edmonton? LOL! ;)

henryD
06-16-2003, 03:51 PM
Ron

Of course Discus would be top on the list if I win the lottery. In fact my wife and I have had very detailed discussion about having fish tanks as room dividers if and when we build our next house.

You can imagine what that conversation is like.....

Tony

I will take 10. Do you take personal checks?

06-17-2003, 08:28 AM
Ron...tell ya what.
I'll build you the stairs and rail for FREE!! But its spensive to ship to edmonton...about 25000 bucks ;D

Henry...

Ya right...the cheques in the mail...and I wont..uhh..never mind ;D

Tony

ronrca
06-17-2003, 10:17 AM
To ship from Calgary to Edmonon its $25000! What the...... :o!

How much is it to ship then to Great Fall? :o

Serpae
06-27-2003, 01:47 AM
Cheaper to buy the stairway to heaven, hehehehe ;D

cgrim10
07-01-2003, 10:56 AM
just looking at the stringers is amazing, are they composite? or do you actually warp/skew the piece? i am currently drawing steelstairs (self supporting) for new construction. steel is strong, but that is glorious. congrats. cg

AndyL
07-10-2003, 01:37 AM
Wow those are nice stairs :)

Anywho, I'm andy, up in a hellhole way up north, where I work as a "Door Technician" fixing all those big overhead doors at the plants that keeps our cars driving...

My other hobbies are pretty much fish and Jeep related.

07-19-2003, 11:21 PM
Sorry...havent bin payin attention here...

Craig
The core of the stringers is actually several layers(6 on that one) of standard 3/8" exterior plywood. The stringers are glued up layer after layer and then bent as one piece around an adjustable curved wall. What you see on the outside, is veneer.

Tony

April
07-20-2003, 12:07 AM
And to think i taught Tony all his construction know how..... when i came last summer...i showed him how to do that.and now hes such a clever boy!! ::) ;D
ok. so i didnt . but i did get to see some of the other stuff he made....and its all pretty nice. and i think id go for him making me custom cabinet tanks...maybe with a mini circular staircase to climb to clean the tank?

Hugh
07-29-2003, 01:34 AM
Heh, This is my first time to this part of the boards. I rarely stray from general, buyselltrade, and the DYI sections. But since im here i thought i would share..

Currently I work in the Fire Protection Industry as a Programming Tech. in the Service Dept. for a Supression company. We deal mainly in FM200 Halon and CO2.

For a while I thought I was going to be a career student. I have 3 Degrees and working on a fourth. AA Administration of Justice. I wanted to be a Police Officer so bad I could taste it. I was broken hearted when I was disqualified becuase of vision issues in my Left eye 20/80. If you where wondering minimum req. for my area is 20/70 uncorrected. My right eye is 20/15 and I see perfectly fine.
2nd Degree was Computer Science. This industry as many of you know is not at its best right now and I was a day late and a dollar short for the market. I graduated 6 months after the market started to turn for the worst.
3rd Degree is in Electronics. I went to a local Tech College for this degree and it payed off. Im doing very well now. It actually branched off into my next degree im working on for my future carreer change.
4th Degree Fire Science. I really enjoy my job. It gives me the oppertunity to provide a bit of safety to the general public. Even though it may be a small part. 100's of people are killed anually by fires and if a system I program saves 1 life then it is all worth it. I am hoping that with my experience in the Suppresion and Prevention of Fire along with my degree (should finnish in about 1year) that I may find a spot with the Fire Marshals Office.

Other Hobbies include but not limited too:
Import Drag Racing : Fastest E.T. 10.48@142mph
Body Building: Competed in a Local show in 97 took 3rd place. havent Been Competative since.
Fishing: I love Bass Fishing.
There is more but they are slipping my mind ATM

susankay1
07-31-2003, 09:34 PM
What we do for a living? Good Question!! Just kidding, hubby and I are retired long haul truck drivers. We drove together for 20 years, then retired to start a business selling collectibles to truckstops....imagine that. We have travelled all over the country in our custom vans, taking merchandise to truckstops so we don't mind traveling to see and buy discus. I am really brand new to discus, Bill had them in the 70's when they weren't nearly as much fun as they are now. Between traveling enough to pay the bills, our fish and our cats, we are happy and busy. Lovin life, each other, and trying to leave a good mark on the world. :love:

spawn
08-15-2003, 12:41 AM
Undertaker (funeral director)

Own my own company so have a few Discus tanks at work also.

I knew there had to be some perks owning the business.

blackghost
09-02-2003, 12:11 AM
well i think i am the jobless one,
i am still a student persuing my graduation in mechanical engg. 2 more years left and i'll be free to get a job.
Discus hobby was carry forward from dad.

Do side by computing.
Have hand on experience in repairing cars and bikes.
And fixing computer softwares.

yippy
10-08-2003, 08:54 AM
my main job is keeping April from stealing/returning our manas, and keeping fish - discus, bettas (my favourites) - and my handsome boy red devil "brutie".
well nothing can be done about Pril, she will not return that mana to oz. and Brew will understand this, i want Joefish's fish - i love discus but those fronties of his are AWESOME.
Kerry :D
Apart from that i typeset advertisments for aussie magazines - and yes - my sister does look like Elle macpeherson - and yes i gamble on horses. But, i have never met friends like i have on here.

Kerry :P

Discus_KC
10-08-2003, 12:55 PM
GI Jack !!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

But it's not my main job !!!!

I still think I'm married with Children !!!!!! I hope !!!

lwdiscus
10-11-2003, 01:53 PM
My main job is breeding/showing longhaired dachshunds and serving on the Boards of the Dachshund Club of America and its Health and Welfare Trust Fund. I also judge several breeds at dog shows.

Having said that, with 7 display tanks in the house, it often seems like my main job is tank maintenance! But, as someone recently said, isn't it wonderful when you can do what you love?
Lisa

Brian-pdx
10-15-2003, 03:38 PM
I'm working as a program manager in operations for a computer company, mostly supply chain reengineering. Lucky to work remote most of the time as I report to people in the SFBay, although don't have to pay the real estate costs! My BA is in Biology, with neuroendocrinology of marine invertebrates being the focus. Previous work has been also in Telecomm, fiber optic test and measurement. A good friend is a researcher in neuroendocrinology (now Parkinson's and Extasy?!?) who uses electroluminescence. Brewmaster, do you ever interface with OHSU or Columbia University researchers? It's turning into a very small world...
Brian

ronrca
10-16-2003, 05:28 PM
My BA is in Biology, with neuroendocrinology of marine invertebrates being the focus. Sweet! If I could go back to high school, for some reason or another I would go into biology particular marine. LOL! O well! Maybe a career change in 10years or so! ;D

brewmaster15
10-17-2003, 12:03 AM
Hi Brian,

Welcome aboard! Nice having another Biologist around. :) It is a small world isn't it? I have not had the pleasure of working much with universities.. The field I worked in was the private sector , drug development and biotechnology, with a strong emphasis on diabetes,glycation, atherosclerosis, and much digital imaging and assay dev.

I have recently switched gears and am now work for myself as a consultant, and teacher of teachers. Basically developing educational programs to help teachers "teach" science and nature .. It gives me a much more flexibel scheduole to pursue my discus interest and to raise my kids. :)

-al

Brian-pdx
10-17-2003, 04:30 PM
Thanks Al and Ron, I'm glad to have found the forum. After seeing a couple of really nice planted show tanks, the biology bug came back. The ability to have an ecology like that in a small visible space is remarkable. So, I'm able to satisfy the scientist urges even while my main work is at a keyboard.
I appreciate your move to consulting/teaching. There is a long line of teachers in my family, and I find myself in that role often (as many are just too scared of public speaking). I'm very sensitive to the differences in good and bad teaching, and the perceptions of the students. It's fascinating to find the best way to communicate information, and wonderful to see the lights come on!
I enjoyed marine work, but around here it's not the Bahamas! Field work is wet, rainy and really cold. My only diving experiences have been in the pacific and Hood Canal (Seattly area), very cold, low visibility work. So for now I'm glad to be doing tech work. I'll look to something more adventuresome as a retirement job someday.
Brian

Discus_KC
10-17-2003, 11:32 PM
My wife has given me a new title

"Fish Room Project Manager

It sounds important but I'm still the grunt !!!!!!!

Ardan
10-18-2003, 06:29 AM
Welcome Brian!
Sounds like fish are right in your interests 8)
I have never gone diving but someday I would like too :) For now, the discus tank is my underwater experience :) 8)
I am glad you are here, I am sure you will have a lot of knowledge to share 8) 8)

Jack , I have many titles too.......but it still all adds up to "grunt" ;D ;D I do like your title though :) 8)

makiedog
11-06-2003, 04:37 PM
I am a Discus newbie, wish I had found this site earlier before I lost 2 fish last week. Anyway, I'm a creative director in a Web development company. Beside this new Discus-rearing hobby, I'm also an avid radio-controlled helicopter enthusiast.

Pat Leong

outlawpc
12-30-2003, 01:07 AM
I'm a kept man. . . help!

ramblin101
01-31-2004, 07:57 AM
I'm an Arts Educator working with inner Los Angeles city youth in a work study program. In my spare time I fish...specificly tuna fishing in the summer and play alot of basketball and tennis to stay in shape..or rather not to feel guilty getting an extra helping of food and dessert... I have had tropical fish for 20 years and Discus for a month and enjoying the challenge...and I read Simplydiscus religiously...and thats all I got to say about that....

Ed

ShawnT
01-31-2004, 05:34 PM
My main job at the moment is stayat home dad to my 4y son and 2y daugther. I hve 3 tanks at the moment (no discus yet). All commnity. I used to work in the copier repair field as the parts manager in Atlanta. Moved to florida so kids could get to know the grandparents as their health is not the greatest. so my wife (the rn) and I decided that I should stay home and raise the kids. we figurged that any job I could get here , would just about take care of the daycare costs and our taxes. and the added bonus is that we raise our kids with our values.
I am waiting to get a 55 gal tank before I try my hand at discus.

Hobbies. keeping sane with my kids. maintaining my computer, and three tanks. 29 gallon 6 bleeding hearts tetra , 3 black tetra, 1 platy, 4 otto cats, 3 mollies. 20 gallon 19 or so mollie fry from the tri in 29 and 1 sword tail. 10 gallon (my son's tank) 4 glow lites tetras, 2 neon tetras, 2 white clouds, 1 otto cat and 1 golden mystery snail.
This is the first post I have ever done in any forum.

lovingod
03-23-2004, 05:20 PM
Quit my IT job 1-1/2 yrs. ago to stay home with my 18 mth old son, 3 yr old daughter and 9 yr old son. I truly think it was easier to get up and go to work each day than to stay at home and raise my own kids...wow!!! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: But I am gradually adjusting.

I help my husband in our lawncare business by designing our landscaping projects (love it by the way), occasionally go on the job with him (love this too), sell Pampered Chef Part-time and mortgage loan originator part-time. Discus is my husband's hobby but is gradually becoming mine also since we want to begin breeding them. Looking forward to making some new friends!!

mizzoumed02
04-06-2004, 12:51 AM
Main Job is firefighter/Paramedic, currently working on getting into Med School, I have been keeping angels now for a few years and have just started with the discus. Hoping they will grow up and breed as well as the angels. My other hobies include hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, and water skiing....

Kagan
04-06-2004, 02:04 PM
Main job is materials science engineer. Doing MSc at the moment and also looking for a job :). Let me know if you have something for me hehe :).. Hobbies: soccer, snowboarding, camping, fishing, stock exchange :), pingpong, tennis, muscle cars, AD&D games etc... four years of discus experience in addition to 6-7 years of cichlids...

troyclark
04-23-2004, 11:19 PM
My main job, other than keeping my wife happy, is bookkeeper for our small town lumberyard. I have only recently (last year of so) kept discus. I have kept and raised angelfish for at least 4 years and thought that the natural progression would be to discus. I just didn't count on them becoming an obsession. I currently have three spawning pair (not much luck with wigglers), 10 other adults and 30 half grown red turks. I have a total of 22 tanks totaling 1100 gallons. My largest tank is my 125 saltwater in the livingroom and the rest are in my "fishroom" actually a quarter of my basement. My other hobbies include softball, reading, and building things. Thanks

a-shamrock4u
04-24-2004, 01:28 AM
I teach 11th grade American history part time (sub) for my local schools and own a landscape company with my husband. When I am not busy with these, our two kids, and our various pets, we are avid American Civil War re-enactors (both sides), Scuba divers and a little Trek on the side. When I am not doing those I take care of my own yard, cook, clean, sew and any other thing I need to do in order to keep from going crazy ::) I also love to camp (any excuse to set up a tent) fish, hunt, shoot and spend time at the "Bass Pro Shop" LOL my home away from home. Been looking at a new modern 4 room tent and if I get it I think next year I will write it off my taxes as a second home!

I have been keeping fish now for over 20 years and have four tanks going now. They are all different and as soon as I figure out where to place it I am getting a fifth!

I only have one web site now and it is for our re-enacting but when I find the time I will have more to reflect my other hobbies. You can visit me at http://shamrock4u.250free.com

Cosmo
06-09-2004, 10:14 AM
Purchasing Agent. Used to be an Ops Mgr but that was too much like running a kindergarten lol Also used to be a techy, did Paradox turn key database systems, and build computers for friends, fun, and profit - but that was all in the days of DOS before Windows and Plug and Play took all the fun out it! Besides, got tired of constantly studying to keep up with all the upgrades etc. :)

heckelcrazy
08-07-2004, 09:24 AM
Hey guys...im aran and im a discusaholic. Im man enough to admit it. I've kept and bred these lil buggars for 10+ years and have never really lost the feeling of looking forward to turning the lights on over the tanks each morning. Hell i even like waterchanges! Now if only i could get my RO unit from Randal in the mail, then i would be able to have some babies :P

In my sparetime away from the tanks im a dr. I also have a degree in molecular biology and genetics. Internal medicine/gastroenterology is my thing.

8)

Anonapersona
08-07-2004, 08:43 PM
I have no paid job. I left Petroleum Engineering many years ago. I've spent time doing landscape design and done a lot of volunteer work with gifted children. I still work one day a week with a local elementary school, planting trees and gardens, running a Science garden with pond, desert, meadow, flowers and crops sections, and a planted fish tank.

My journey to raising discus began with a planted pond which led to an indoor fish tank which led to planted fish tanks which led to raising discus to go into planted tanks. The pond began 12 years ago. The aquariums began 2 years ago.

kelseygirl
08-12-2004, 10:11 PM
Wow!!! Finally ventured out of "Beginner's" and "General"...this thread has been going on for a LONG time!!! I am amazed at all the differences in careers, jobs, and interests. And yet we all have that one thing in common, the magnificent discus.

I am the assistant director at a small Christian preschool. Been there for 11 years and love it, although I'm wondering if I will ever get out of preschool. :D I was a high school home economics teacher a LONG time ago, then stayed home with kids for 12 years. Most of my time has been spent raising kids, doing 4-H projects, and taking care of the menegerie...over the last 27 years we've had umpteen dogs and cats, hampsters, guinea pigs, a red rat snake named Stretch, a chinchilla, lots of pond and aquarium fish, plus various 4-H animals every year--hogs, lambs, rabbits, chickens. My son is a senior this year and so it is our last year in 4-H, after MY being a 4-Her, my husband just retiring from being a 4-H Extension agent for 30 years, and then having kids in it for 15 years. I only have one pair of discus but I watch them for hours. I also have corys and tetras, and presently 2 dogs and 3 cats. I love to read, do crafts, member of our church drama team, and veg when I get the chance! Janice

Carol_Roberts
08-13-2004, 01:32 AM
It sounds like you've been a very busy mom making lots of family memories ;D

bikhu
10-05-2004, 05:46 PM
Well I am a substance abuse counselor in a correctional facility... and business is always booming! In fact it often gets to the point that I would give it up in a second if the right job came along. I am also a Mindfulness Meditation instructor. That is my main love but I need to make a living too! My family and these fish have a funny habit of eating!
Sounds like some really interesting professions here. Anybody got a job for me?

Moon
10-12-2004, 10:53 PM
I am a Lighting Engineer and design highway and street lighting for a living. Been in the hobby on and off for about 50 years and did keep and breed discus some 15 years ago. I had to give up the hobby for various reasons. About a year ago decided to try discus again. Thanks to Simply I was able to get back into the hobby.
I have 15 tanks with various Chiclids and two of which are discus.
Joe

Stephish
10-20-2004, 02:53 PM
Wow, what a lot of interesting people. I hope people will keep this thread going.

I practised labour and employment law at a large firm for 6 years. I recently switched to working for the Ontario Ministry of Labour as a policy advisor. I sing in a choir, horseback ride, enjoy a cabin in the woods and am an animal nut. Current menagerie is 2 cats, 4 finches, fish (first discus as of last week from Barb Newell) and 1 horse (offsite!).

Carol_Roberts
10-20-2004, 04:42 PM
Hi Stephish:
I sing in a community choir too - I'm an alto ;D

john480
10-20-2004, 04:47 PM
im a member local union #3 ibew (electrian foreman) 8)

Stephish
10-21-2004, 10:09 AM
Carol:

Altos rule! I'm in a church choir. :angel:

Steph

jaydoc
10-21-2004, 03:00 PM
I am a tenor in the church choir. The alto's get cranky with me 'cause I sometimes sing their part!

Cary

Carol_Roberts
10-23-2004, 11:34 AM
LOL, my mother used to sing alto, but now she sings tenor with the guys ;D

jaydoc
10-23-2004, 11:53 AM
Are you familiar with the "Sweet Adelines" They are community women's choirs that have ladies singing all four parts. Very Cool!

Cary

Carol_Roberts
10-23-2004, 10:04 PM
I am familiar with them, but we don't have any active chapters locally

mattrox
11-21-2004, 12:33 AM
I am a "chalkie". I teach Science and Maths to high school students. I particularly love Biology and Chemistry. My major in my B.Sc. was Zoology and I loved the Freshwater and Marine ecology subjects.

dantouan
12-21-2004, 08:10 PM
Well i am a furniture trader... :)

Carol_Roberts
12-22-2004, 12:32 AM
Do you mean you sell furniture for the home?

jeff cannons
12-22-2004, 06:57 AM
Hi All I am a Site Manager for a building company in England looking after about 22 guys from Carpenters ,Painters and bricklayers , I used too DJ @ raves until may this year when I went back too my real passion Dirtbike racing which is what I grew up doing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh and I also keep FISH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Canuck
04-02-2005, 04:10 AM
Avionics is my real job and have been doing it for 7 1/2 yrs. This job has taken me as far East as Turkey in SW Asia; up here in the Great Land in the North and West direction; and Arizona to the South. However, the coolest places I have been are (in no order) Alaska, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Austria (skiing), and England.

sidra
04-02-2005, 10:27 AM
I'm a "project manager" for an insurance agency. Sounds important, but all I really do is transfer books of business from one company to another, inside sales, and whatever special projects pop up. I also bartend part-time.

Wish I could find a job with discus! Would be much more fun.

dishpanhands
04-02-2005, 10:57 AM
i'm Ol' Lonely..now how many know what i do?.... :D

jamie sutherland
05-09-2005, 07:12 PM
well i'm a 6th grader. my mom owns a self storage company in kentucky. my older brother works there full time and i'll probably work there when i grow up. my mom and my brother have fishtanks in their office. a 90 gallon and a 20. the tanks arent discus. i do waterchanges for them. some of my other interests are cars mostly trucks and suv's, gas RC racing and horse racing(it's a Kentucky thing)

Doug A
05-09-2005, 07:33 PM
It's nice to see such a large variety of jobs that we all have.

I am a 3rd generation painter/wallpaper hanger. Just this year I took over my fathers painting bussiness after he passed away. In the past I have worked for pet stores, tropical fish wholesaler, transmisson remanufacturer. When I was in between jobs I always worked for my dad doing painting.

I enjoy keeping fish, R.C. cars, helicopters, and planes, Fishing, hiking, camping, baking, gardening, boating and the list goes on!!!! I have too many hobbies!!!! :D I love nature and being outside.

Doug

KIWI13
05-10-2005, 09:48 AM
Hi there,
I am an interior architect who did his studies in New Zealand ( my homeland) and then travelled the world in search of excitement and then ended up finding a job in the south of france for an architect firm. Its been only 2 and a half years of work so far and retirement is a dream. LMAO

We work more in the sector of hotels ( 4* and 5*) all over europe and alot of businesses like AOL and banks etc etc blah blah blah..........
I've been keepin fish since i was a wee lad

chris allsop
05-10-2005, 01:29 PM
I keep marine fish as well, along with other hobbies.
I work as a prison officer which takes up a lot of my time.

jamie sutherland
05-10-2005, 02:38 PM
i already know two people here that like RC

drayman86
05-12-2005, 10:53 AM
Hello to all on the board:

I'm an Industrial Hygienist with the Michigan OSHA program.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/cetstaff_kozak_112166_7.htm

"Industrial Hygiene: The science and art of antipicating, recognizing, evaluating, & controlling occupational health hazards in the workplace."

I deal with chemical expsoures, noise expsoures, ergonomic issues, radiation expsoures, and other workplace health issues.

1MACK1
06-20-2005, 12:32 PM
I'm a lawer and a waterpolo referee.
As a hobby I keep fish and cats and also my girlfriend ;)

dirk50merc
06-20-2005, 01:39 PM
What else do I do, to sustain myself and my lovely wife I do alot; #1 most fun job is Tattoo artist and Tattoo machine builder www.GarageWizardIrons.com shameless promotion. I also am a regional sale manager for a packaging manufacturer.

When Im not working or doing water changes you can find me working on my favorite pet project my 50' mercury, or brewing up beer mead and or wine.

PS I really don't sleep enough

Dirk

Talktruth
06-20-2005, 08:56 PM
Hi. I just had to say something. It really is amaising how easy and simple things are now days. Take my word for it. You are reading the observations of someone who was born and raised in Russia in 60's and 70's. Talk about dedication.Being in tropical fish hobby since the age of 5 (Iam 45 now) Iam still amaised at the comfort and simplicity of things here. Granted, I've only played with discus for a year or so, still loving it very much! As far as occupation...you name it - I've done it. From farming in Northern Minnesota to Upper Retail Management to Public speaking against Cold War etc. Don't even know what made me open my mouth, but I did.
Mike in Oregon.

brewmaster15
06-20-2005, 09:08 PM
Welcome To SimplyDiscus Mike! :) Glad you are loving Discus! and glad your a member here! :)

Hey Dirk ! From one home brewer to another... Cheers!

I just finished bottling 5 gals of a honey mead... a dry one... and have a few bottles left of a 5 year :) What else do you Brew? Prefer the stouts and ales myself? Do you grow any hops? I have an over abundance of cascade and chinook hops if you ever want some root stock ! :)

take care,
al

Ichthyology
06-21-2005, 10:29 PM
Hi Ya'll:

I am a college professor. My research focuses primarily on fish ecology. I have been conducting most of my research in the Red Sea. I know I have a tough job, SCUBA diving 4-6 hours a day is a real chore sometimes!!!! :) I have started to work in Peru this summer investigating molecular genetics of Amazonian fishes (one of which is the discus). I teach at a small (400 students) liberal arts university in southern California. The university is 4 years old and we just had our first graduating class.

I have been keeping discus as a hobby for 35 years now. Breed some, but mostly just keep them. I prefer wilds but my wife prefers the more colorful captive bred varieties. So, I keep a mixture of both in my tanks.

I also keep and breed poison arrow frogs, whose beauty are second only to discus.

I am a father of two and a grandfather of 4. My grandchildren are the sparkle is this old guys eyes.

drayman86
06-21-2005, 10:32 PM
Main Job?

Ever heard of Industrial Hygiene? (No, not dental....industrial).

http://www.aiha.org/aboutAIHA/html/ih-info.htm#roles

I deal mainly with occupational health hazards in the workplace such as chemical exposures, occupational noise/noise-induced hearing loss, asbestos exposures, lead exposures, silica exposures, and ergonomics to name a few. Edcuation areas: biology, chemistry, and occupational health. Experience: private consulting; currently working for the Michigan OSHA program.

www.michigan.gov/miosha

Dillan
06-22-2005, 11:17 AM
Hey there dirk50merc! I've been wanting to get another tattoo and thinking something "discus" would be cool! (just have one celtic/tribal sun right now...) Have you done any discus tattoos? Got any pics that might inspire me!?

Dillan
06-22-2005, 11:26 AM
Hi guys... Interesting to hear what everyone does besides obsess on Discus!

At the moment, I'm a Press Agent for a group of online casinos and sportsbetting sites. I work from a home office -- with my clan of discus beside me all day! Working alone at home is sooooo boring sometimes -- when I catch myself speaking out loud when there's no one there but my fish I realize I really gotta get out more often! LOL I think I'm starting a new job next week, getting back into what I've done more (and made way more money at!) which is internet marketing. I'll be working in an office again -- and my fish will just have to get on without me all day! (I think they'll be ok -- they're not juvies any more and don't really need 6 or 7 feedings a day any more!)

Dillan

frenchdiscus
06-22-2005, 03:45 PM
Hi guys,

I'm a Manager Information Systems for an Office furniture company. I love Cycling (Tour de France, etc...), and I like to keep Discus because of their personality, look and also challenge!

Olivier
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=42815

dirk50merc
07-07-2005, 11:24 PM
Discusnut pm me I plan on visiting vancouver :D As far as a discus tattoo I live for custom design work, and discus are my love so we could certainly work out an incredible piece. No current pics of discus but I did design CAS (cincinnati aquarium society) t-shirts with a nice discus pic several years ago.

Think ink :D
Dirk

shaunn
07-10-2005, 02:32 PM
Quite a few IT folk here! Never seen this thread... its an oldy!

I am a Network and Security Operations Manager on contract with the Health and Human Services.

simon.browm403
08-26-2005, 05:43 AM
i,m a cabinet maker/upholster by trade but am currenty selfemployed as a bedroom and kitchen fitter.

I use to have 12 tanks running but i had to break some down as they where to much with my current work load, plus the wife was always on my back about doing the house up.

I planning a fishroom with automatic water change so i can breed and get my fish out of the house that should keep her and me happy :-)

Kindredspirit
08-31-2005, 03:59 PM
I am in california and This site hates me!! I so do not know what i am doing or where to find my post i posted for help!! So i will just stick to my main job! I am a residential counselor for severely emotionally disturbed teen girls! I love it! Lotz of drama, however!

Kindredspirit
08-31-2005, 04:00 PM
I am in california and This site hates me!! I so do not know what i am doing or where to find my post i posted for help!! So i will just stick to my main job! I am a residential counselor for severely emotionally disturbed teen girls! I love it! Lotz of drama, however!
Not All Who Wander Are Lost~ ( i think)

sidra
08-31-2005, 04:11 PM
Your need help post is in the comments and questions section. When you scroll to the bottom (when not in a specific thread) you can click the drop down and jump to that section. Or go back to the home page and click on that section OR on the blue tool bar click on "new posts".

Perhaps a moderator will move your need help post to a more visible section. In the future, try to put your post in the section it relates to. For example if you have discus health questions post them in "Disease/Sickness and Medication". Or for general questions there is a "General Discus Discussion".

This is a very useful and fun site. You'll find your way around (I'm blonde too and I figured it out LOL-I saw your need help post but am fairly new to discus too and will leave your questions to those more experienced). Oh, each section has a moderator who regularly reviews posts and provides answers. (You'll see "simply discus team" under their name when they post.)

Hope this helps!

Kristen

Kindredspirit
09-01-2005, 09:31 AM
Kristen! Thank you so very much! People have actually started to reply! Patience has never been one of my virtues! Marie! :angel:

AmberC
02-06-2006, 08:40 AM
I am a stay at home mom to my almost 4 year old daughter, 9 month old daughter, 3 fish tanks, a siberian husky, a guinea pig and two cockatiels. My husband is a nuclear engineer on the USS Carl Vinson (but hes going to shore duty soon. YAY!)

discusgirl
02-09-2006, 02:22 PM
Well, my main job, believe it or not is working for the Fish and Wildlife Service at Headquarters. I am a program manager in the Division of Refuge Law Enforcement. I learned about discus when a boyfriend (now x-boyfriend) decided he wanted to start a discus company. I learned the finer points of water changes for about 18 tanks (mostly 55 gal). Then he decided that he wanted to breed leopard geckos too. Mind you, we were in a 2 bedroom condo in downtown Philly. Anyway, I rescued a couple of runt discus, took them to my office until they were too big and needed more space. They are over a year and a half and starting to exhibit some mating behavior. I do miss talking to them and playing with them in my office. I only get to see them on the weekends now, waiting on the paperwork for a transfer.

I also kept some leopard geckos (16) and had a cat from a previous relationship. My other hobbies include studying for my BS in Criminal Justice (should be done next yeat) as well as SCUBA diving, running, bicycling, and sleeping (that's the rare occasion). :juggle:

This is the first Forum I've ever joined. I am grateful to all the talented "experts" on Simply Discus that have helped me keep my fish healthy and happy.

Organic Farmer
04-16-2006, 11:00 AM
i build custom bikes

80in55
08-30-2006, 10:57 AM
Mechanical Engineer in the Valve Industry! I design commercial grade valves everyday. Basically an Immediate Implentation R and D! My hobbies include any fish tank I can, and just about anything that has to do with nature! Love cars, and computers! I also am a huge DIY guy!! Will have a lot of DIY stuff on my new tank, and will have plenty of pictures to document it all!

IceDiscus
08-30-2006, 01:26 PM
I do sales for a International hair replacement company at the moment. I am also a Pastor at PDF Church in Miami. WWW.PDFCHURCH.COM :angel: I love the discus hobby, other hobbies include camping, cars, art, music and I cant forget my X-BOX 360:D ;) :D

Harriett
08-30-2006, 03:22 PM
I'm a cllinical nurse researcher and HIV/AIDS specialist; I currently work with HIV+ pregnant women, then postpartum with moms and babies. Been doing HIV/AIDS research for about 18 years now.
Best regards
Harriett

poconogal
08-30-2006, 03:52 PM
Legal Secretary for the last 28 years. Somebody shoot me, please! :p

Connie

Timbo
08-30-2006, 07:11 PM
in my career, i was an exec at Levi Strauss & Co. Blue jeans and Dockers paid my mortgage. :) After 25 years with them, took early retirement (the offer was too good to refuse) and now i play golf, sail, raise discus and work about 15 hours/week managing a bar with 15 lovely young ladies. (and one guy...i know, i know, but he's our token male)

tpastrana
08-30-2006, 07:18 PM
Service manager for a document solutions company (MFP Copiers, fax machines,engineering machines,Networking & software). Not the norm for a female. but hey , what can I say. I like to boss the men around;)

Teresa

BoxerDad
09-06-2006, 05:52 PM
Electrical Engineer for a very large Gov't contractor

Dave_Discus
09-06-2006, 11:33 PM
Own and operate my own ceramic tile and hardwood flooring Company.
(Brutal work)

and yes...I do tile work for discus.

Havoc321
09-07-2006, 12:06 AM
I'm the Pastor of a Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod Congregation in Brooklyn, Michigan www.mystmarks.com

I'm also the grunt labor and school slaesman for my wife's embroidery business www.ifhs.biz and yes, we do have some discus design's, I'll have to get them up on the website (I will embroider for fish LOL).

Have 5 Kids (one with God - SIDS is devastating) 1 in Seminary - preparing to fix his dad's mistakes :antlers: , 2 next boys in a rock band www.myspace.com/sinstrengthinnumbers - and yes, the Pastor's kids are in a band called "SIN", youngest daughter runs cross country in HS. Lots of tanks, 1 standard poodle.

I do woodworking and stained glass as other hobbies and like to bicycle when I get a chance, we did the RAGBRAI once and would love to do it again sometime. Former Barbershop Quartet singer - would liketo win one of those Gold Medals so many of my friends have :mad:

Oh, and I like fish too! I have 4 tanks in my church office :angel: trying to get started breeding discus, after all Jesus multiplied the fishes:D (but then they ATE them:p - better rethink that one!)

fishmama
10-02-2006, 11:10 PM
Luv this thread!

Uhmm...let me think. Ooops, no I can't! Mommy brain kickin' in...what is the current PC term for "Mom"???

Stay-at-home Mom of a 3,5 and 7 yr old, a hubby and 2 small dogs. Previously trained for 5K's...exchanged for WC's! Where is my sanity???

Past life: Pre-vet then Psychology major & Chem minor in college...never did in "real" life, many years as insurance adjuster (looking at auto damage and broken bones)...now fish (that I don't even eat for goodness sakes!!!!).

Change is good!!!!

Fishmama

Deepak
05-03-2007, 07:50 AM
I am a part of the Admin. team in one of India's leading IT company. My job covers a lot of things but mainly I have to see that all things work smoothly here & the Software Engineers (some 1100 I look after) have no probs. working here :) It's a thankless job really but I love helping people ;) BTW I am a qualified Hardware Engineer & have 4 yrs. hardware experience apart from 6 hrs. exp. in Admin.

AmberC
05-03-2007, 07:54 AM
Mine needs to be updated :D I was just a sahm but now I'm starting up my own photography business :D So I guess I'm a WAHM (sahm = stay at home mom and wahm = work at home mom)

White Worm
05-03-2007, 02:10 PM
Cool thread, nice to see it come back to life since we have so many new comers to the site.
I have been in the airforce for 15.5 years. Started as an aircraft mechanic and for the last 3 years I have been recruiting for the Air Force. Love discus and spending time with the family.

Bainbridge Mike
05-03-2007, 02:32 PM
My job is stickin it to the man! ok, sometimes I get to. I'm an attorney and I do environmental and land use law. I also do administrative law and civil rights stuff--basically disputes people have with the government. Here is a picture of me in my lawyer costume.

Mike

alxjss
05-03-2007, 03:37 PM
Okay, I will tell u. I am a machine operator for Kelloggs. Pkg granola bars

pinkertd
05-03-2007, 07:03 PM
My day job is a senior executive assistant for my company's (DSM) Corporate ICT department...which supports Applications and Global Client Services for North and South American DSM Business Units. Our company was a part of the pharmaceutical giant Hoffmann-La Roche until 3 years ago when DSM bought our business units. I have worked in executive administration in various departments (engineering, production, human nutrition, etc.) in the company for 33+ years. When that job's done I'm single mom to a 19-year old son, and triplet boys that will be 16 in August. Love animals of all kinds. Bred and Raised pekingese dogs and occasionally showed them for 15 years (before kids:D ) Have had tropical fish tanks for more than 20 years. Love gardening and interior decorating and our two cocker spaniels...Sugar (blonde) who is 12 and Molly (black) who is almost 4.

Alxjss -the vitamins my company makes go into those granola bars you are packaging! We make custom premixes (vitamin blends) that go into major liquid and dry products that probably everybody touches every day.

Derock
05-03-2007, 08:14 PM
I work for an airline....Air Canada...as a ramp attendant. So I'm the one that loses your luggage. [please don't hate me] Worked for the company since 1989 started out in the aircraft parts department. Have had tropical fish since I was a young child ...many moons ago. Cheers,Derek.

dragonlover
05-04-2007, 01:35 AM
I am a stay-home (though we don't ;) ) mom of two, ages 3 and 1. In the past I worked reception at a bank and doctor's office, clerk at QT, server at bar and grill--and don't forget the 8 (yes, EIGHT) years at McDonald's....I started there when I was fourteen.

I enjoy playing pool once a week on an APA team. I am always reading a book (or two). I enjoy being outside and experiencing nature...walks in the woods, swimming in a lake, etc. I just realized I need more hobbies....:D

swinters66
05-11-2007, 12:07 AM
I thought I posted here...guess not.

I work in the outdoor garden dept at Lowes.

Discus-Hans
05-11-2007, 01:39 AM
Discus pimp

Hans

dandestroy
05-11-2007, 02:17 AM
Discus pimp

Hans

lol ... love the fact that you call it like that!!!

AmberC
07-05-2007, 03:46 PM
Discus pimp

Hans

LOL Hans thats awesome :D

happygirl65
02-16-2008, 05:06 PM
OK there haven't been any posts on this thread in a while but I am new so here goes!

I am a stay at home mom/work at home mom. I build and maintain websites for a small number of local clients as well as book keeping and other business aspects of our Dish Network retailership. (My husband does all the hard work with that one!) I used to be a staff accountant but hated it as I am a highly creative person and found it WAY too boring.

Fish keeping is currently my creative outlet (including my recent fav. planted tanks) and my stress relief...it is funny because I thought once I traded in my timecard for a minivan I would have less stress. HA! With an 8 yr old, 4 yr old and now 3 yr old I am very busy and constantly trying to keep them from destroying the house! Ahhhhh! Winter is tough since we are all trapped indoors.....come on SPRING!

I would love to find a way to do fish keeping, aquascaping for a living but in very rural montana it is not likely. :) So I will just have to do it for me :)

Diskboy12
02-26-2008, 03:12 PM
I am currently a trained and certified lifeguard.

oh yea lol.

-Kevin

gump
02-28-2008, 03:46 PM
I am a Forest Engineer, which is a cross between a Forester & Civil Engineer. I worked in the forest industry in one capacity or another all my working life. With a down turn in the forest industry about six years ago, I decided to go through a career change. I just didn't see a long term future for me while remaining in Nova Scotia & I wasn't getting any younger!! The big thing is I just didn't want to move away from here, which I would of had to do about now, six years later!!. So I decided to start a Landscape company.
http://www.allpointspropertyservices.com
Every time I type my web page I realize that I have to update it.. We have about two more years of stuff to add!! Anyways, we have evolved from a true landscape company to more of a hard scape / construction company.
This keeps me extremely busy for 9 months of the year & I coast for about 3 months.
I do miss "the woods" though. Once a woodchuck always a woodchuck. I do own a nice woodlot however which enables me to get my "woodsy" fix.
Pierre

subcooler
03-15-2008, 09:19 PM
I'm a HVAC service tech.
I work for a union commercial/Industrial mechanical contractor.
I like the work, but hate all the friends who remember you when it's day 10 in a heat or cold wave & they need service just as you walk in from work:mad:
I guess you find that in any trade though!
I enjoy the satisfaction of getting something repaired & providing heat/cooling to the masses(not thrilled with doing it @ jails though).
As far as hobbies go-I live @ the NJ shore so all water activities, camping.Basically anything outdoors.
I've had fish tanks for most of my life-fell in love the first time some convicts spawned!
This is a great thread-It's nice to see the background on those we converse with here!
Rob

Fishworm
08-19-2008, 12:41 AM
I am a truck driver. I drive for a kinda medium sized company based in Springfield MO. we run out to California or Arizona and pick up fresh produce, then haul it all the way across to NY, NJ, CT, and MA. then we pick up more junk and haul it back out to California.

sometimes we get to go to the northwest...but it seems that I usually get send up there in the middle of winter. it's always fun running snoqualmie pass out of Seattle with an empty trailer in the middle of a blizzard. :D

before I became a trucker almost 9 years ago, I was the head fish dude for several Pet Warehouse stores here in Springfield, Missouri. did that for 3 years, cut fish losses in half at the 3 stores I worked at, and got paid a whole 6.50 an hour. well, the horrible pay and the lack of appreciation for the work I did for them made me have to leave.

if you are out wandering the interstates, keep an eye out for a light blue Trailiner truck, #123. that'll be me. if you see me.......run...run away fast. :D :D

Greg Richardson
08-19-2008, 01:29 AM
Fishworm. Next time you going back up Snoqualmie Pass and have extra time I'm about 45 max minutes east from I-90 Preston area if you want to see some fish. Better you then I driving up that pass. Not so bad if you didn't have the other fools out there that freak out every time it snows here.

Discus-n00b
08-19-2008, 02:18 AM
US Marine.

And Student, studying Criminal Justice hoping to take me into a Law Enforcement career.

DiscusDude85
08-19-2008, 05:52 AM
I work 7 days a week, Have been doing so for over a year now. Monday through friday I am a land surveyor. Thats means im in hell daily!.Swamp, Thick woods, Mud holes all sorts of fun stuff. Killing moccasons is a past time in my job. On the weekends my life is a little more relaxed as i am a boat mechanic on the beautiful St. Johns river(one of only 2 rivers in the world that flows ornth) Playing on yachts isnt too bad : ) . Get paid to fish once in a while and the sights are pretty great!. Thats what I do.

Joe

DiscusDude85
08-19-2008, 06:34 AM
I am a Forest Engineer, which is a cross between a Forester & Civil Engineer. I worked in the forest industry in one capacity or another all my working life. With a down turn in the forest industry about six years ago, I decided to go through a career change. I just didn't see a long term future for me while remaining in Nova Scotia & I wasn't getting any younger!! The big thing is I just didn't want to move away from here, which I would of had to do about now, six years later!!. So I decided to start a Landscape company.
http://www.allpointspropertyservices.com
Every time I type my web page I realize that I have to update it.. We have about two more years of stuff to add!! Anyways, we have evolved from a true landscape company to more of a hard scape / construction company.
This keeps me extremely busy for 9 months of the year & I coast for about 3 months.
I do miss "the woods" though. Once a woodchuck always a woodchuck. I do own a nice woodlot however which enables me to get my "woodsy" fix.
Pierre

You can have my woods!!!. I hate picking ticks off of myself all day long!

target
08-19-2008, 10:18 AM
Mechanical Designer.

I work for an engineering firm that specializes in mining. We do all the design work for setting up a process plant for a mine, and I model all the mechanical equipment in 3D.

ashaysathe
08-19-2008, 12:52 PM
When I visit home home (Bombay, India) you naturally get questioned what you do etc etc being far away. So I am trained to answer this question. But here is a twist, while I was saying this once, my grandfather (85 years old then and I was 30), a scholar himself, asked me "What have you done to make anybody proud? "
Only answer I had was I pay my taxes each year every year since I started working and thats about it. Its been 5 years for that question and every time somone asks me along these lines I think of my grandfather.. and one day I will make him proud.

MSD
08-19-2008, 01:19 PM
I am a medical practice administrator for a surgical group that specializes in Bariatric (weight loss) surgery. I also do the accounting for the office as I minored in accounting in college. Having taken a bunch of computer classes over the years I have become certified and take care of the IT too. I have been in my current job for 17 years now and no two days seem the same, plus I can browse on here when time allows.

musediscus
08-19-2008, 04:35 PM
certified teaching pro, teaching tennis at a tennis facility for about 6 years. I am very lucky to be able to do something that i like and make a living out of it. at 26, i'm thinking about making tennis my side job and start up a small business maybe a discus business, like our sponsors.

Here's one

Originally Posted by Discus-Hans
Discus pimp

Hans

what a guy! lol ahahhaah what a personality
discus pimp, me too please!!!!! :)

target
08-19-2008, 05:16 PM
discus pimp, me too please!!!!! :)

That's my goal as well. Need a bigger place to start my fish room.

ShaCari
06-29-2009, 05:32 PM
Im a full-time student in college.. switching majors from Equine Business and Legal studies to Nursing(RN)

I waitress (YUCK)

and I'm a counselor for a program that mixes inner city kids with small town kids and teaches them how to ride horses and helps them with school (YAY)

mkv
07-12-2009, 02:09 PM
Well let's see!!!!!! I'm a driver, personal guard, solution maker, improviser, mind reader, the federal bank, errand runner, trouble shooter, bag holder at the mall, mechanic, electrician, plumber, carpenter, appliance repair man, IT tech, landscape guy, pool cleaner......
AND FOR RELAXATION IN MY SPARE TIME....I keep freshwater / saltwater fish, canaries and German Shepherds; also I'm a business developer specializing in name branding, cost management and customer diversification. I have been involved in construction, aerospace and automotive industries.
To bring sense to all of this, I live with 5 women ( wife and 4 daughters ) and my son at home!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sandy W
08-05-2009, 04:11 PM
I'm the lab manager and cell culture scientist at a biotech/pharmaceutical firm. My other "job" is a dog trainer and dog show judge (both beauty and performance). In my spare time I breathe. *-))
Sandy

cyberhog05
08-05-2009, 05:09 PM
Jeez everybody sounds so official. I work at Costco Wholesale!!

Eddie
08-05-2009, 08:08 PM
USAF, Heavy Aircraft Mechanic by specialty but currently a Quality Assurance Inspector/Weight & Balance Program Manager.

Eddie

thebigone
08-05-2009, 08:51 PM
I am a Quality Assurance Tech. at a dog food plant. We make all different kind of foods. My job it to run a lab and test all kind of incoming ingredients and finish product as well as making sure that people put the right food in the bag, right best before date code, right shape,size, make sure it is palletized on a pallet right, the right labels on pallets,and plenty of paper work that goes a long with it. Then I come to Simply to relax and share things among this great community!:D

Chad Hughes
08-06-2009, 12:03 AM
I am an Aerospace Engineer (electrical discipline) for the Department of the Navy. Although I am a civilian (already did my active duty time) I work for a military command called NATEC (Naval Engineering Technical Data & Engineering Command). I support Naval Avaition Squadrons around the world through distance support (email), local support in San Diego and on site global support. I get to travel a whole bunch to say the least. I'm sort of like the airplane Maytag man. When they can't fix it, I do. LOL!

I love the Navy and I love the job. The only problem is there are no discus involved. LOL!

Best wishes!

Darrell Ward
08-12-2009, 06:08 PM
Use to be an industrial hydraulics engineer at a mfg plant, was laid off, and now I'm a community college student. :)

hmccsal
08-13-2009, 11:04 AM
Well, Iam an boring accounting clerk for a Credit Union in a 2 horse town in Northern Alberta.
Second occupation is water changer to 4 tanks right now, that keeps me pretty busy.
Interests include my new hubby(old relationship LOL),my fish,dogs(boxer and pug),horses, and mostly movie watching.

uncle white
08-13-2009, 01:22 PM
Right now my main job is sitting on my butt and filing unemployment every week! Thanks to my stupid former employer moving plants to Mexico. 17 years there with no sevrence (?) or nothing much anyway ($8000 BEFORE taxes) I have to admit I am enjoying my time off, and it is FLYING by. I'm 46 and have worked on record since I was 14. At two places total, well three if you count the bartending for a year between the two. So a break is good.
Biggest complaint is I just built a house two years ago on land that has been in my family for over 100 years. Therefore I will have to pull out all of my 401K and company retirement funds to pay off my house. You know what kind of penalties and taxes I will have to pay on that? I'll loose 30% right off the top, then another 10% for early withdrawl. Oh did I mention I am also single household now! Ok I'll stop it, sorry to vent, deep breath...
As far as hobbies I like to grow giant veggies for competitions. I hold the record for biggest watermelon ever grown in Indiana. It was as big as a bale of hay, (not the giant round ones, the old fashioned square ones) and weighed 232 pounds. It was my first attempt and the only attempt I had that year. I missed being the biggest in the world that year by ONE pound. I've been trying to beat it ever since with melons weighing 196, 182, 160, etc etc. I usually grow every other year now and was glad I took off this year as it has been a cool Summer, record cool for July. I like Dobermans, all colors especially red, have had three in my adult life, just lost my last one two years ago. I'll have another some day, meanwhile I'll just cut up with my Uncles.
Sorry for the journal, it's boring being unemployed ... uncle white ...

ifixoldhouses
09-06-2009, 07:25 PM
Well... I fix old houses:) self-employed general contractor.

roclement
09-06-2009, 08:38 PM
Can't remember if I ever posted on this thread...so here goes...I invented velcro nad now do nothing other than collect fat checks and raise discus! Right...

I manage a private Country Club in North Jersey, golf anyone?

Rodrigo

Lytehouse
09-28-2009, 05:37 PM
Cool occupations on here...

My wife and I have an office together.

We are in private practice as mental health therapists-- lots of marital and substance abuse therapy-- individual, couples, family and kids.

My dream office-- someday would have 2 large tanks on flanking walls--- a large planted Discus tank on one wall and a large saltwater coral tank on the other with a huge fish room for supporting equipment.

hedut
09-28-2009, 09:15 PM
:) Dunkindonuts store manager and I just come to States 3 yrs ago. :) the good thing is I'm still single that's why I have so many discus :) in my own condo :).

Disgirl
09-28-2009, 10:40 PM
I am self employed as a potter and doll maker. Not to mention all the other work I do which doesn't bring in any $$$!
Barb :D

yeaboyt
11-21-2009, 08:19 PM
Budget Analyst for the City of San Diego. It gets really stressful after a long day at work so it's relaxing to be able to sit and stare at my aquariums.

ChloroPhil
12-13-2009, 02:26 PM
I used to be a K-12 music teacher but am now an environmental/wetland scientist who focuses on plant-soil-water interactions. My main area of interest is the use of aquatic and terrestrial plants to control nutrient inputs into ponds and lakes and thereby improve water quality and health of the eco-hydrosystem.

I worked for a private consulting firm for a year and a half, ending this past September and am soon going to start working for the Army Corps of Engineers as a research contractor. The project I've been hired to work on is developing a substrate mixture suitable for growing large crops of submerged aquatic plants in a nursery environment for use in large-scale habitat restoration projects. Once this project is finished the plan/hope is to continue working at the research facility while pursuing a PhD.

According to my wife I have too many hobbies and she's probably right. My main passion is keeping aquatic plants, planted tanks, and advocating for the aquatic gardening hobby. When I'm not up to my elbows in an aquarium I enjoy spending time with our three cats, play computer games, tabletop roleplaying games, and am a voracious reader of aquarium discussion forums. Every once in a while I pull out the old guitar and pretend I know how to play it and on rare occasion have been known to actually get out of the house.

Unlike most folks here I'm not completely obsessed with discus. I obsess about planted tanks. :) I do see lushly planted discus displays as one of the last frontiers of the aquatic gardening hobby though. I'm very interested in learning as much as possible about blending the two interests with the goal of successfully keeping show-quality discus in an equally show-quality planted display. Even though I've seen many planted discus aquariums in the past, I know of relatively few people who've actually had truly stunning fish in a densely planted, competition-quality planted tank. The ultimate goal would be the successful breeding of discus and raising the brood to a high standard in a planted aquarium with a minimum of algae and reduction in plant health.

~Phil

Larry Bugg
12-13-2009, 02:45 PM
UPS for 31 years as a supervisor. Reached retirement age one year ago. At 56 I still feel very young so I will probably work another 3 or 4 years before retiring to the fish room. My father-in-law has 120 acers about 60 miles SE of Atlanta (Monticello, Ga). The plan is to build a house there when I retire. Biggest decision right now is if the fish room will be a part of the house or a separate building.

ChloroPhil
12-13-2009, 04:42 PM
I vote separate building so you have a place to hide from the wife and kids. :)

decula
01-11-2010, 01:00 AM
Yet Another 50+ IT Guy working at a state hospital for kiddos with developmental
disabilities. Met wife at work. We are both enjoying the aquariums that
seem to be multiplying faster than the fish. :D

Really enjoy Linux (cut teeth on Slackware), ran a local ISP for 9+ years with
Linux servers and routers. Appreciate the security side of this internet stuff we
all should have had as kids.

erikc
01-11-2010, 08:58 AM
Never posted here either .... hmmm, where to start.

Trained as an architect, got bored and studied structural engineering, now working as an HVAC engineer in Paris.

The type of projects I work are kind of on the large scale : 1 000 000 m2 and bigger. I started off doing social housing and just worked up the scale.

I have been keeping discus (and other cichlids ) for on and off for about 20 years. I am also a keen gardener but that's another story ....

Billy Vu
01-11-2010, 12:49 PM
Hi Everybody,

I'm a full time "Market Data Analyst" at a directing marketing firm in Bethel, CT. I collect government data, mainly names and addresses of various categories, and turn into mailing lists. I'm also pursuing my MA in Economics at the New School (yes it's called the "New" School) in NYC at night. I also do a bit of accounting work. If all goes well and I maintain a 3.5 GPA I will be pursueing my PhD next year. I have been keeping discus for about 3 years, but have been in the aquarium hobby off and on about 20 years. I hope to become an Economics Professor one day.

All the best,
Billy

theblondskeleton
01-11-2010, 02:53 PM
Wow, it really is interesting to see what kind of people this hobby attracts.

I'm a rare breed, I have to say. I was a professional stage actor for a long time before deciding it wasn't as fun as it once was. My grandfather was in law enforcement, as well as my father and younger brother, so in the family tradition of public service I became a teacher. I now teach and direct high school drama and language arts in Vancouver, WA. Current project is The Wizard of Oz.

As an actor, I have worked in just about every field you can imagine - from harvesting super blue-green algae to selling vacuums to fabricating paddles and oars to telemarketing to bar tending to wedding singer to pizza delivery to law clerk to gas station manager to antiques retail and furniture moving and yes - the old actor standby: foodservice (waiting tables). Oh, I also did the bookkeeping for my mom's business when I was a kid.

My hobbies include music (vocal, guitar, and piano), writing, interior design, building scale models of historic warships (current project is HMS Victory), reading, keeping planted aquaria, my new addiction: discus, and just about anything complex enough to hold my attention while my wife watches Dancing With the Stars.

Jeezy Creezy. I sound like a severe case of Multiple Personality Disorder.

Eddie
01-13-2010, 10:52 PM
just about anything complex enough to hold my attention while my wife watches Dancing With the Stars.

What is it with that show, so many people are hooked! LOL I recently had cable TV installed for the wife as I NEVER watch daytime TV, never have. I'll watch movies but thats it. :o

Eddie

David Rose
01-13-2010, 11:15 PM
I am self employed as a potter and doll maker. Not to mention all the other work I do which doesn't bring in any $$$!
Barb :D

So when are you starting your sideline of making breeding cones Barb? :)

joanr
01-13-2010, 11:21 PM
I've had several careers spanning the past 25 years. Started working for my family on the Boardwalk in Atlantic City in their 3 Fine Jewelry Stores as a teen. Got my cert in Gemology from the Institute and quickly got bored. Slaved as a Flight Attendant for Eastern Airlines for 3 years. Then moved to the Ozarks, Hot Springs, Ark and managed a McDonalds....that was fun. After that got my first computer in '89 and it's been IT ever since with a sprinkling of odd jobs such as dog groomer, handler, Afghan Hound Judge, Medical Assistant, full time Mom of three. Between all that I learned web design and accounting and worked for an electronics firm for 7 years wearing many hats. Now I'm working for a Trading Company sourcing Industrial Supplies to the Middle East, PWUC, SWC, Sabic and other huge Saudi Companies. This is by far the strangest work I've ever done. So kids, stay in school and DO NOT drop out of College!!!

phatdave
01-13-2010, 11:24 PM
My wife and I make our money on Iron and Steel.........She irons and I steal ...:D

Truck Driver!

mlw
02-08-2010, 12:26 PM
Esthetician and part time freelance Make up Artist.
www.s-tet-x.com

My other hobby is creating miniature landscapes using Lemax porcelain houses.
http://inlinethumb21.webshots.com/45972/2441307210101580664S500x500Q85.jpg (http://family.webshots.com/photo/2441307210101580664erIeel)

http://inlinethumb20.webshots.com/42259/2833879350101580664S500x500Q85.jpg (http://family.webshots.com/photo/2833879350101580664GhrgfZ)

I combine some model train scenery techniques with some miniature dollhouse techniques with inspiration from nature to come up with my vignettes and villages.

Oh and I can COOK. Like, throw down, slap your mamma good, kind of cook. My mother was a cook worked in nursing homes restaurants private homes. I was really thin, almost sickly looking as a kid and she thought the only way I would get a husband is if I could cook. Well, turns out I grew up quite curvy. So, needless to say, my husband is a very happy man.

JaredP
03-23-2010, 12:18 PM
I work for a company that builds high peformance vehicles and does international parts sales. I head up all peformance installations and fabrication, as well as oversee the general maitence side and make sure they represent our name well.

One of our big cars right now is the Nissan GTR. A blog site reported that I was the first in the world to take apart one of the cars transmissions. And we did it only for research purposes. (people find that hard to believe. Car had 400 miles on it, and we paid $82,000 for it !).

wesleydnunder
03-23-2010, 01:55 PM
I've worked in the electrical and electronics fields since 1974. After six years as a Navy ET I taught Electronics Technology at post secondary and proprietary levels in AAS degree programs. After that it was back into pushing trons for 25 more years. Almost 3 years ago I became an Electrical Inspector for the city of Texas City.

I hunt, fish, golf, play guitar and enjoy my two lovely granddaughters.

babers
03-23-2010, 11:59 PM
Nurse...Been working for the health department for 4 years now. I play the guitar on my spare time...after I cook, clean, do laundry, play with my daughter, and ofcourse...do WC on my tanks...whew! I need to get me a wife! :D:D:D:

darkknight87
03-24-2010, 12:04 AM
I work as Loss Prevention for Kmart. :P Im also a full time student working on my criminal justice degree

srusso
03-30-2010, 10:15 PM
I like many other people here am also, in tech. I am an Systems Administrator, funny many Discus have some weird thing with tech people. Someone should do a study!!

90 Gallons of Fun
04-01-2010, 01:33 PM
Hi All,

I am an AVP and Manager at a Premium Finance Company. Basically we give loans to businesses to pay for their insurance policies. Our loans range from small business loans of $500 to large corporation loans of $10 million. It is really a nitch business that many would have never heard of or thought of. 14 years ago when I started here, I had no clue such a business existed.

Rich

DerekFF
04-06-2010, 10:20 PM
I'm a firefighter/emt. I am current in the process of completing paramedic school and still also in progress on my AS in fire science.

gwrace
04-06-2010, 11:09 PM
I'm also an IT guy. I've been in IT for the last 29 years. Started out on a helpdesk, then a senior network engineer. Current job is a senior IT project manager specializing in infrastructure and disaster recovery projects. Hobbies include church work, RV camping, music, swimming and of course fresh water aquariums. Love those discus...

I have two kids ages 8 and 12 that also keep me busy.

richgrenfell
04-07-2010, 10:36 AM
I'm a heavy truck mechanic. It's tough, filthy work, but pays the bills pretty well!

amunoz7
04-13-2010, 09:27 AM
I have been getting paid for 9 years to look at baseball cards all day long. I love my job!!!

rich815
04-13-2010, 12:41 PM
I'm a Branch Sales Manager and Home Mortgage Consultant for Wells Fargo Home Mortgage. Have been in this business and related for 20+ years. Seen it all! Happy to say I never got involved in any of that sub-prime/negative amortizing "stated" income garbage. Still here and still happy.

CajunAg
08-11-2010, 05:02 PM
Structural engineer at an offshore mooring/subsea services company. Graduated with a degree in Ocean Engineering in '08 from Texas A&M. Whoop!

/Wish I could remember more of fluid dynamics for my new filter setup...:rolleyes:

Sharkbait
08-11-2010, 05:53 PM
Odd...I thought I replied to this thread...Nice to see some insight on the people here :)

Name's Aaron. I'm a teacher and photographer here in Victoria, British Columbia. When I was younger all I wanted to do was be an actor. Got a double major in Drama/Communication Studies from the University of Windsor. Afterwards, got into behind the scenes stuff and got a film diploma from Sheridan. After working in Vancouver's film industry for 3 years, I moved to Victoria, got my B.Ed and am now teaching drama and visual art.

I still own a growing photo business, but every time I have moved (which has been a lot), I lose my clientele. If you're interested, you can check out my portfolio at rhymes with orange photography (http://rwophotography.com).

I think if I could do it all again, I'd get into marine biology. This hobby has really opened my eyes to a lot of things. I've learned so much about water chemistry, biology, habitats, etc. that I never otherwise would have experienced.

Cheers!
-Aaron

Melissa
11-22-2010, 07:27 AM
I stopped pursuing a degree in criminal justice almost 3 years ago to become a stay at home mommy.
I have 2 girls ages 1 & 3. :)

Jennie
11-22-2010, 07:34 AM
SCmamma, Hope you can continue on with your degree someday!
My main job...WC's! LOL

Second Hand Pat
11-22-2010, 09:33 AM
I write software for a living, love it and been doing it since 1981. I work for a large defense contractor so mainly write software to support simulation and training systems for the Army and Navy. Currently I'm writing system software for a first generation ATE system.

I'm a tomboy at heart and love to fish, dive and use to hunt with my dad. I'm currently into horses, reef tanks and soon discus. I have had both fresh and saltwater aquariums off and on since I was a kid. I have one daughter who graduated in May with an engineering degree and she just started her first professional job today. Proud of her. Someday I hope she will make me a grandma.

mwdw
11-22-2010, 05:31 PM
hi all. machinist,and keeping the warden happy so i can do all my hobbies.

Skip
11-22-2010, 05:41 PM
I graduated from Southwest Texas State University with Exercise Sports Science with minor in Biology.. then Masters of Edcation.. I took off to be High School Biology Teacher/Head Girls Soccer Coach.. left that, went back to college Full time at Age 38.. lived in the dorms was an RA, Graduated in 3 yrs with a Degree in Civil Engineer.. now i live in Austin, where i work and became Discus Addict!

nice to meet ya!

Altum Nut
11-22-2010, 06:59 PM
WOW.....I'm sure the vast of people look at us aquarist hobbyist to be trailer-park unemployed junkies.....however will they shocked. In this case I would not be surprised to see Bill Gates with an aquarium or two.
I may not be as educated as many of you but love my job as a Municipal Investigator/Claims Adjuster....so basically investigate and assess Municipal related concerns in the event where a loss took place on city property and claimant is pursuing $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
AND full time father to two wonderful daughters and hubby to my lovely wife of 21 yrs.

...Ralph

cooksa
11-22-2010, 09:40 PM
I fix the phone lines.

I'm also a superhero, but I'm not supposed to tell anyone that.

Rex82
11-22-2010, 09:44 PM
Glazier. Keeps my fish in homes. literally

Second Hand Pat
11-22-2010, 10:26 PM
Skip, did you finally figure out what you wanted to be?

I graduated from Southwest Texas State University with Exercise Sports Science with minor in Biology.. then Masters of Edcation.. I took off to be High School Biology Teacher/Head Girls Soccer Coach.. left that, went back to college Full time at Age 38.. lived in the dorms was an RA, Graduated in 3 yrs with a Degree in Civil Engineer.. now i live in Austin, where i work and became Discus Addict!

nice to meet ya!

Jennie
11-22-2010, 10:45 PM
You crack me up!!!! ROTF

nice to meet ya!

Skip
11-23-2010, 01:27 AM
Skip, did you finally figure out what you wanted to be?

Well, i am thinking i need an MBA.. that might help me figure it out!!. .but think i want to be a DISCUS MASTER : )

You crack me up!!!! ROTF
DL.. wha?! living in the dorms was GREAT>. i had my own room and shared a bathroom! college was great.. even the 3rd time around : )

goodoo
11-23-2010, 04:34 PM
CSO. or counter service operator. At the motor registry. or DMV as you americans call it. Used to be a chef. Have worked in librarys reading books to kids, Tried to be a rock star but it didnt work cos I cant play any instruments, I love fishing and keeping discus & time away from people, all people I love people but your all so neady. wa wa wa.

asifgy
11-23-2010, 06:03 PM
Asif Mohamed - IT Manager, New York City.

zimmjeff
12-15-2010, 10:39 PM
When I started with discus I was a chef and single. I am now married for 7 years and have a 5 year old daughter in kindergarden. I have had many fish breed for me but have only had a few to attach to the parents. I am also a paramedic now and love it. I was chosen to do this by god, I know that sounds weird but only he could choose something that well for me.

Len
12-15-2010, 11:04 PM
I like many other people here am also, in tech. I am an Systems Administrator, funny many Discus have some weird thing with tech people. Someone should do a study!!

I can add to that group as well :) I'm a system administrator as well, working for Emergency Medical Care / Medavie EMS.

It is sort of interesting when you look at the various pockets of people are into a hobby like this.

jpdevol
12-15-2010, 11:08 PM
Investment Portfolio Manager

PAR23
12-16-2010, 02:48 PM
Hi all,

I graduated with a Biochemistry degree from undergrad. Was going to work at Memorial Sloane Kettering in NYC doing research on monoclonal antibody directed towards cancer cells. I decided at the end that I just couldn't see myself sitting in a lab all day doing bench research. After wandering aimlessly for a year, I though I better get my act together and decided to apply for medical school. After graduation, I did my training in Internal Medicine and then went on to specialize in Pulmonary diseases and Critical Care Medicine. Presently I practice pulmonary and critical care medicine and am on faculty at NYU Medical School. My main interest is in critical care and have done extensive research on Sepsis.

It's been a great experience for me to be part of this forum and will try to learn as much as I can from all of you.

hironobu
12-16-2010, 08:01 PM
another IT manager, satellite TV, Toronto. Single with fish child.

wendy9722
12-16-2010, 08:30 PM
I laminate specialty counter tops. Postform, bevel edge, and self edge tops and back splash.
My hobbies consists of my discus tanks and tropical tanks and my 2 children that is 10 and 11 yrs.
God bless,
Wendy

jimg
12-19-2010, 07:33 PM
I started as a transmission rebuilder to excavator.
I was owner/operator of an excavating co. 7 day weeks 14 hr days left me no aquarium time! I sold all my equipment joined local 137 operating engineers. I am an operator that runs jobs and site layout.
We sometimes do the water mains that brings our fine discus water to your street! That's one job.........my other is wc's!!

konceppt
03-15-2011, 02:39 PM
I drive a truck in london uk

lostsoulstav
03-16-2011, 12:40 AM
I'm a Pharmacy Technician. I like to joke that I'm a drug dealer.
I have 3 kids and a few different animals including 2 dogs, a parrot, a tortoise and of course my fish.
I love hiking, camping, and photography (even though I'm not that good at the last)

shawnhu
03-16-2011, 04:30 AM
Currently unemployed, was an IT Technician for 6 years. Now looking into hobbies that might also make a living.

I enjoy discus, planted tanks, diy projects, camping and fishing. My next project will be building efficient lighting for my planted tanks.

TURQ64
03-16-2011, 07:23 AM
Retired Structural Ironworker, presently owner/ Capt. Tallship Royaliste.

gravjack
03-16-2011, 09:07 AM
Retired after nearly 40 years in law enforcement in a number of northern locations. Moved a little south to escape some of the winter and the wife and I are enjoying doing whatever we feel like at the time. My first job at 14 yoa was in a lfs. Managed to keep and breed bettas at the time so I could swap them for more stuff to keep and breed bettas. It's a habit the apparently has lasted a long time, because now I need more stuff to keep and breed discus. Best regards to all.

John

saltydog
03-16-2011, 11:13 AM
Work in the health care field supporting people with mental illness and developmental disabilities as a clinical quality managment coordinator. I have been in this feild since before i graduated from college and that has been about 15 years.
other than that i love to work outside in my yard, spend time with my partner of 19 years and enjoy time with my dogs. I also like to take pictures. i am not that good at it but i try :)

jarret8x
03-16-2011, 12:00 PM
I'm just a carpenter no crazy job but I enjoy it

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Cuchulainn
03-16-2011, 08:30 PM
Structural iron/steel worker in the summers. Partners in small business installing hardwood flooring, and kitchen cabinets in the winter months.

Canoe/camp trips. Bouldering, mountain biking, and swimming whenever I gots the tyme

leeishom
04-04-2011, 04:34 PM
Operations Analyst - contracted by Microsoft.

Ick
04-25-2011, 04:02 AM
I'm looking for one

Mr.BigBlock
04-26-2011, 02:38 AM
Real Estate Attorney

Hsunami
04-26-2011, 02:41 AM
i'm a Behavior Technician working with Special Needs Children for about 5 years now.

Cambik
04-26-2011, 08:26 AM
Server Technical Support (IT)

unijabass
05-01-2011, 11:00 PM
Hi everybody, I am new to forum, and thrilled with all people here, and of course with this beautiful fish.
I am primarily musician, and beauty salon manager.

russren
05-01-2011, 11:53 PM
Architect. I ride and race my bicycle about 200 miles a week. (close to a second job)

Sean Buehrle
05-02-2011, 12:21 AM
I have been a drywall finisher for 25 years.

Its a rough job some days, especially now that im not not a young pup and I weigh 230 pounds.

I enjoy it though, and I get along with all the people I work with.

I hunt deer every year from oct-jan and fish for walleyes march-may oct-nov.

Ive kept fish since I was 7. the first fish I killed happened because I put dishwashing soap in the tank.

http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv225/seanndenise1/IMG00024-20110209-0848.jpg

Scott293
05-04-2011, 07:12 PM
I'm a Project Manager and estimator at the largest sheet metal HVAC and service company in Cincinnati. But my career has gone wild. I went from sheet metal worker 2 weeks out of highschool to foreman, to superintendent, to mechanical engineer for Procter & Gamble, to plant manager to vice president. Then the owner came in one day and said well I have some news, "I sold the company". The new owners came in 6 months later when the sale was final and said today is you last day, we bought the company to get our customers back, we are closing it. That's when I learned how stupid it was to neglect my family for a job. I went back to being a welder in a sheetmetal shop so that I could punch a clock at the end of the day and enjoy my family, which I still do. I got promoted quickly and answer now to the owner with a second in command position, but I'll never commit myself to work like I had in the past. That job at the top is not all it's cracked up to be.

I am quite the thrill seeker when it comes to having fun. I used to race moto cross, was a rodeo clown, I have a pilots license, love to skii and used to love softball but at age 50 I've backed off of a lot as I've realized I'm not so invincible. I used to have 6 horses but living in the city now have no place for them. I married a Veterinarians daughter 30 years ago and enjoy our animals with her. We have 5 cats, 2 dogs and multiplying canaries. I had discus back in the 80's and early 90's. I lost about 100 discus all at once even with Mr Watley trying to help me and I gave it up. But I kept those few tanks because I thought maybe I would want to have discus again some day. Well our kids are both away to college and off on their own and my wife and I have latched on to these discus like we are trying to fill the empty nest. My kids and wife have called me Mr Limpet. They weren't interested in the fish before but my wife has turned into Mrs Limpet this time. It's been a lot more fun because she's enjoying them just as much as me.

Boy did I ramble on with such a simple question.

ericatdallas
05-04-2011, 07:32 PM
My kids and wife have called me Mr Limpet.

LOL, I had to look that up b/c I had no idea what the reference was... but I remember that movie! I loved that movie :)

moon_knight1971
05-20-2011, 09:15 PM
Was working at the Pacific Stock Exchange and studying to be a Broker at Morgan Stanley Dean Witter but got laid off about 8 months after 9/11. Got my Real Estate license while I was working at Wells Fargo but never fully pursued it. Been doing IT Support for the last 5 years working for a small community bank.

Joey!

Bud Smith
05-20-2011, 09:47 PM
Hello everyone
I have been a member for a few months - a great forum and I am learning alot
Owned my own janitorial/restoration business for 20 years - sold that business and have been a maintenance manager in the health care industry for 23 years
I have been married 36 years and have raised 3 sons and love keeping discus

bronzie8
05-20-2011, 09:59 PM
I am a stay at home kitty Mom. I have a small Persian and Himalayan cattery, 4 Females and 2 males. I have fallen in love with Discus, there is no turning back now. I am setting up my fish room and just had my first spawn.

walt3
09-03-2011, 08:29 PM
hi im new to the forum as well. i am a self emplyeed carpenter with a small remodeling company. prosource conctruction. i have love the fish hobby as long as i can remember. i also enjoy down hill mountain biking, xc biking, marksmanship with my military surplus rifles and air rife, camping, scuba, snowshoeing with friends, hiking and most things outside in nature. :) this place is great!!!

SeaDragon
09-18-2011, 10:02 PM
I'm a homeschooled high school student, also going to Zoo school. I had a summer job at the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium as a worker helping people through the main gate. So it gets kind of crazy being a teenager in highschool, and trying to maintain 2 different aquariums with Discus! But at the same time it's pretty awesome being one of very few teens to own 5 aquariums and have such a challenging fish.

fattubwhale
09-18-2011, 11:02 PM
Restauranteur... Nothing to fancy but perfect for me and my family :)

JustinKScott
09-19-2011, 02:50 AM
I design intraoperative (surgical) neuro-monitoring equipment.

eaglesfan3000
11-19-2011, 11:24 AM
I install fire protection, sprinkler and fire alarm systems. Previous to that I was a project manager with AT&T for 10 years.

grindman620
11-19-2011, 06:47 PM
I'm an IT nerd. Fresh graduate from the University of Michigan - Dearborn. I started at MASCO corp world headquarters as an intern at our help desk. Just recently got hired onto our SharePoint team. Fun stuff so far

PleiadesSTi
11-19-2011, 07:11 PM
I work in government. Nuff said.

shoveltrash
11-19-2011, 08:22 PM
I really enjoy reading about everyone - I'm a Registered Nurse, 17 years in Surgery/Operating Room :p

chrisb01
11-29-2011, 04:28 PM
I've been in sales almost all my life. I used to sell diesel parts for cranes, boats, small airplanes. I was a real estate agent. I retired an insurance agent. In between I've sold just about everything. When I was 17 I was selling Mary Kay Cosmetics, no, I'm not guy. Just doing anything to make a buck. I think I've even sold my MIL a couple of times.

I spent six years in the US Marine Corps. Originally signed up for four years, but got in trouble and lost rank. So I signed up for two more years with the agreement that I get back my sergeant rank.

Went to Central Park University, majored in mugging. No, just kidding :-)

Got my AA from Baruch College in NYC, and a BA from Lehman College in the Bronx, NY.

judy
11-29-2011, 08:22 PM
Now a freelance travel writer (freelancing since 1994 doing general consumer magazines, focused on travel about ten years ago when i finally started making money at it) after 25 years in mainstream news media as a television reporter, anchor, documentary producer and TV news director. Quit before I lost my mind completely.

Red Turquoise
12-16-2011, 07:48 AM
Currently a Team leader/Forklift driver at a cheese factory . Been there for 2 years and enjoy my job . Most of my working life i have been driving forklifts in different places .

doogie
12-28-2011, 01:34 AM
Retired HD Mechanic.

Chicago Discus
12-28-2011, 01:44 AM
I'm in law enforcement and the proud mama to my eleven year old son........Josie

NanDiscus
01-16-2012, 03:13 PM
Apart from seeking a new country and a new job I am a part-time sales/delivery man for a pet wholesale/LFS business.

Got a BA in human resource management, started my working career as an interpreter for the US Army and a few of its subcontractors at the age of 19. After the ex-Yugoslavia got sorted out I went freelance. Did media-research and translations for a few big companies in the entertainment industry, designed websites and printed materials and who remembers what else...
Meanwhile I collected a ceritifcate in retail shop management, gave up freelancing and got a job as a showroom manager at a posh bathroom appliances store. After the owner went bust I became self-employed again, representing RO-MAN (UK) reverse osmosis systems in Hungary for five years before I created my own brandname and product range. Just as I was becoming the market leader in the country the economy collapsed for all but the biggest, strongest companies and was forced to put the operation on a halt.
Parallel with all that, for nine consecutive seasons (April to October) I worked as a tour-leader/driver/host/entertainer/linguist and logistics guy on riding holidays. These were 1-week-long treks across some of the most beautiful countryside in Europe covering about 120-130miles in total. We had guests from all over the globe and I loved this job, but like everything else, this venture had also gone down the drain.

My spare-time activities include building and flying kites, fishing, birdwatching - thanks to my father who is a founding member of a nature conservation association (http://www.stvsz.hu/about.en), gardening, hiking and doing all sorts of utterly useless but entertaining DIY stuff. Have two dogs, 7 cats, a girlfriend working in Austria and no discus.

Guess I'll go and be pimp. The job seems to be a favourite around here. :D:D:D

Nandi

Cosgrovb
01-17-2012, 11:32 PM
I am a lawyer in Chicago that does mostly Plaintiff's personal injury and medical malpractice. My law partner is in his 70's and we have lots of fun. We try to do good for our clients and at the end of the day I know that we do 99 percent of the time.

http://www.ambrosetriallaw.com

BaileyF
01-18-2012, 01:12 AM
hey everyone, I'm a professional portrait photographer, mainly photographing weddings, babies and high school sr's my work was recently published in Ri monthly's yearly engaged issue. I've photographed Usafa graduations for the last 6 years and got to photograph the uscga graduation last year... so I've photographed 2 presidents from >20' away and... i'm not 30 yet. www.baileyfox.com
Besides photography i'm very into beer/micro brews. I've kept an aquarium since about age 6. I'm still new to discus but they are quickly turning into an obsession. I love reading everything on here from all different types of people and honestly never thought i'd be into a hobby that needed a microscope. But I've learned an amazing amount on these forums already some things not really discus related. There is a very interesting mix of opinions and it's very entertaining to read.

Orange Crush
01-18-2012, 04:50 AM
hey everyone, I'm a professional portrait photographer, mainly photographing weddings, babies and high school sr's my work was recently published in Ri monthly's yearly engaged issue. I've photographed Usafa graduations for the last 6 years and got to photograph the uscga graduation last year... so I've photographed 2 presidents from >20' away and... i'm not 30 yet. www.baileyfox.com
Besides photography i'm very into beer/micro brews. I've kept an aquarium since about age 6. I'm still new to discus but they are quickly turning into an obsession. I love reading everything on here from all different types of people and honestly never thought i'd be into a hobby that needed a microscope. But I've learned an amazing amount on these forums already some things not really discus related. There is a very interesting mix of opinions and it's very entertaining to read.

WOW. I looked at your website, you are very talented. The people look very natural in them and their personalities show. That is hard to accomplish with a camera unless you have an eye for it. Which you do in spades! :)