PDA

View Full Version : Best setup

shorthair
04-03-2003, 04:12 PM
Hi all, new to the forum. I would like to see everyones views on setting up a new tank. I know this is a loaded question, but I'm looking at raising discus and to do this I'm going to build a 100gal tank. I would like to know ideas on Filtration, Heating, Air supplies and Lighting etc. I will be using water from my tap. Talking with Smokey, sounds like my water should be perfect. This will be my first big tank therefore the setup will probably be a little different. Just curious as to your ideas. Thanks again, Shorthair.

ronrca
04-03-2003, 04:32 PM
Talking with Smokey? Hmmmmm! Cant go wrong with Smokey! How long has it been Smokey now that you have been tutoring me on my rack which is nearing completion in the next couple of weeks?

Talking with Smokey? An Albertan?

Welcome to Simplydiscus! You can not find a better place on the internet.

allan_mark76
04-03-2003, 04:37 PM
KEEP IT SIMPLE ! ! ! That's the best advice that I ever got...BB,sponge filters with air pump, thermostat, heaters, lighting and etc. The key is to do a quick and easy maintenance each day with your water changes so keep it as simple as possible or else your going to be hating life doing WC's.

A-

ronrca
04-03-2003, 04:57 PM
Ahh! Yes, the K.I.S.S. method! I love it also! I have been increasingly liking the sump filteration systems. Smokey has a lot of experience in that field. Use a large sump filter under the tank like a 30-50G!

Heating - Yes! ;D I use Ebo's 250W!
Lighting - Depends on what you plan to do with the tank. Bare tank, fake plants, real plants?
Air - see lighting

Btw, your building a 100G? Where did you get the glass? I want some too! LOL!

henryD
04-03-2003, 05:39 PM
Building 100gallon? It is really worth it? I think you can probably find a use tank for a lot less money and time than building one....Not sure what the canadian cost of 100 gallon tank is but I just bought a used tank 110 gallon at 140.00

ronrca
04-03-2003, 05:46 PM
Depends! If you can get the glass free or very cheap, absoltuly cheaper than buying. However, if you have to buy the glass, not worth it.

Carol_Roberts
04-03-2003, 10:40 PM
Bare tank with heater, filter of your choice and thermometer. I like twin tube 48 inch lights on that size tank. Smokey will give you good advice ;D

Smokey
04-08-2003, 02:42 PM
The other day, Monday, just as I signed off the internet; my phone rang. Low and behold it was Devin, AKA - shorthair. suggesting he drive up and chat. Well, sure!!!
For you persons out there, I live in the Rocky Mountains, south west corner of Alberta. Any more west, I'd be in British Columbia; any more south I would be in the U.S.A..

Devin lives down on the parires, about 125 miles to the east of me. Well, he made it up to my place in record time; considering he had to buck 60 mile-an-hour-winds all the way. Plus a few snow flurries!!!

Well, Devin picked my brain for over two hours, [ which is no small feat] . lol....
Well people, we have another DISCUS - FANATIC !!!

So, every body, lets welcome Devin, aka - shorthair to simplydiscus. And offer him all the support we can.

dm
04-08-2003, 08:42 PM
Welcome Devin! You have come to the right place to find help and some good company. If your water is already perfect for breeding out of your tap you are way ahead of most of us. My water is over 650 ppm TDS out of the tap. Not much going to happen in that water. Good luck with your new hobby. I know you will love it!