PDA

View Full Version : Width or High?

amirnezhad
04-03-2003, 06:57 PM
Is it better to use tanks with long width for discus or long height?
I have two deferent tank, one of them is 65*35*50 CM and the other one is 50*35*60 CM(width, height, high) which one is better to use for Discuc, you think?

Thanks

allan_mark76
04-03-2003, 07:06 PM
I'M going to have to say WIDTH....but with your dimensions for both tanks, either one should do...

A-

ReeferKimberly
04-03-2003, 07:43 PM
I usually just go with the standards, but if i had to choose between a long and a tall, i would most likely choose a tall for adults and the long for the juvies.
kim :-*

henryD
04-03-2003, 08:44 PM
I think I would go the opposite. I would go with tall for Juvies. This way they don't get lost as much because I think discus general tend to stay at the bottom. Esp at night when the sleep they are closer to the bottom or when they are searching for food. (well could also be that all the food I feed them sink).

Where is in adult discus they are bigger and need more room. Of course my theory goes to the crapper if discus stay at all level of the tank. I would say that is the tendencies of the ones I had are bottom dwellers. But I have not had discus for very long.

Carol_Roberts
04-03-2003, 10:07 PM
Generally you want a tank with a large surface area for oxygen exchange. Picture a normal 55 gallon tank that is 48 inches long. Now picture a tank of the same dimensions set on edge so that what would normally be a side is the top. Both are the same dimesnsions so contain the same amount of water, but the long shallow tank's surface area is more than twice as large and is much easier to oxygenate.

I can see the point on having fry in a tall tank - more water volume, easier to find food. You'd just need extra air.

discus_nw
04-05-2003, 01:10 PM
It's been my observation that discus are more comfortable with a greater distance from front to back versus top to bottom.

RAWesolowski
04-05-2003, 03:40 PM
Ali,

I like Carol's thoughts on air exchange but the determining factor for me is how to clean the tank. A lower aquarium is easier to clean...

Smokey
04-07-2003, 12:40 PM
Yes, the surface area is of great importance, o2/co2 exchange . Plus this does give greater swimming area. The tanks I currently have running are 24'' L x 15'' W. x 15'' high. = ~80 Liters of water. The fry do well in such a tank, however, because they are young - have a tendinacy to stick closer to the bottom 1/3 of the tank. The adults - 5-6'' - 3 in one tank and 4 in the other tank seem indifferent. They primarly spent their time in the middle 1/3 of the tank. When feeding they go where the food is...top....middle...bottom.

after all, in nature where does the danger come from... above ... below....behind...???

Smokey

amirnezhad
04-07-2003, 04:31 PM
Hi & Thanks anybody because of your helps :)

There is another question that may make it easier to answer this question, How many small fishes (about 1-1.5") can I keep in each thanks that I wrote their sizes before? Can I buy 10 or more fishes in this size and keep them in some of this thanks or not?

Smokey
04-07-2003, 05:43 PM
Ali - from you dimensions the tanks are ~ 113 Liters and 105 Liters. Rule of thimb is 40 liters per discus. mature.
Fry can be kept in the tanks size you have ; but as they grow you will NEED larger tanks.

Good reason to by big hahahahaaha.

Good luck

Smokey