PDA

View Full Version : Ok....now what?

FishGuru
04-03-2003, 07:14 PM
Hi, I got my new discus today! But what do I do now? Should I feed them? I'm new to discus, all help would be great!

ReeferKimberly
04-03-2003, 07:47 PM
are they already set up in a tank with good cycled water? are the params of the bag water the same as the tanks? I would guess they are already in a tank so i wont comment on that. But, as of right now if it is their first day in the tank i would turn off the lights and not feed them until tomorrow. This is what i usually do with my new fish to get them accustomed to their surroundings. Of course some fish will not eat for a while as they become less stressed and some are ready to pig out right away so it is kind of a judgement call if they are ready. Also, make sure to quarentein them for a couple weeks to a month to make sure they have no diseases to pass on to your other fish. there is loads of other stuff, and i would be glad to answer any other specific questions you have. good luck :)
kim :-*

ReeferKimberly
04-03-2003, 07:48 PM
BTW welcome to the forum, u found a great place. and i like your alias!!!
kim :-*

FishGuru
04-03-2003, 08:10 PM
Hi, they are already in the tank right now. I put a few tetra color bits in there.....so far all they have done is look at them, lol, any other tips you have would be great! Thanks a ton

Carol_Roberts
04-03-2003, 10:16 PM
For new arrivals I like the tank temperature in the 86-88 range and and one or two tablespoons salt per 10 gallons tank water. Begin regular water changes tomorrow.

Feed very lightly with favorite foods. What were they feeding them? If you don't know try frozen bloodworms. Just a little bit off the cube. You don't want a bunch of food setting on the bottom of the tank.

carman
04-04-2003, 03:13 PM
hey...

try to feed them live black worm as a warm welcome to their new home. ;D
no discus would refuse black worm.

carman

Mr.Trips
04-04-2003, 03:50 PM
Read, Read, Read, all of the post, learn, Learn, Learn!

Good luck with your Discus!

PS Water temp 84, keep the light off for a bit, after a while they will settle in!

Do you have any other critters with your Discus?

ronrca
04-04-2003, 04:16 PM
A tip! Steady water parameters 24/7! Add a little food along with water changes and the discus will love you!

FishGuru
04-05-2003, 03:28 AM
Hi, thankyou so much for all of the response......I have them eating tetra bits and frozen beef heart...I was amazed that they ate some tetra bits within 2 hours of being introduced into the tank ;D