PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed.

Dan Annable
04-05-2003, 04:10 PM
Sound like I am doing ok with my 3" turqouis dicus based on the following??

I have a 20 Gallon tank with just enough sand to cover the bottom with a few rocks for hiding. Using an AquaClear 300 filter.

Water Conditions:
Nitrate: 0
Ammonia: 0
PH: 8.0-8.5 (I know this is a little high but the water in my area is very hard)
Temp: 86 degrees F

Water Changes:
Done daily replacing 25-30 % of the water and ensuring all food particles are sucked up from the bottom. Water is left over night to stabalize before adding to the tank.

Food:
Nutrafin Discus food (floating morsels). Was feeding tubifex worms but they lost interest and I understand it is not good for discus.

A couple of times one fish gets really weak. I treated with Maracyn-Two and it bounced back both times. Not sure why this happens but it is the darker of the two fish. No fighting going on, just a poke once and a while but they are otherwise peaceful.

Any opinions?? I know, I know, get a bigger tank but I think two 3" should be ok in 20 gal for now.

Carol_Roberts
04-05-2003, 04:42 PM
have you tested the pH of your tank water and tested the pH of your change water? I know you let it set overnight, but with hard water setting is not enough. You have to agitate it to stabilize pH.

Ardan
04-05-2003, 04:46 PM
Hi,
Looking pretty good 8)
I would consider adding more discus (quarantine first) when you can, as they like to be in groups (need a bigger tank too then :P) groups of 6 or 8 are good (40 to 50 gallon)
I don't know why the Maracyn 2 helped, generally not a good idea to add med unless you can figure out the illness first. Glad it helped though.
Carol has good points on the ph.
A variety of food is best.
maybe some Hikari frozen bloodworms, or different flakes. I think its best to presoak dry foods (so they don't swell up in the stomach)

hth

Dan Annable
04-05-2003, 06:05 PM
Thanks, presoaking the food and using air to agitate the water are going to be done from now on.

Thanks for the advice. Hmmm bigger tank, I will have to get that approved by my wife :)

Fisheyes
04-05-2003, 07:32 PM
kissy kissy :love: :love: :love: :whip: and dinner
Works everytime LOL
Fisheyes( :rolleyes:)