PDA

View Full Version : Hydro Sponge

RedTigrrr
04-06-2003, 10:45 AM
Hi guys, I've heard alot of talk of sponges w/ the discus tank... Can you fill me in on exactly what this is and why it's important? Is this a filter or something you add to the filter????

Thanks

Erin

Ardan
04-06-2003, 12:30 PM
Hi,
yes it is a sponge filter, driven by air.
http://jehmco.com/PRODUCTS_/FILTRATION/Hydro-Sponge_Filters/hydro-sponge_filters.html

hth

Carol_Roberts
04-06-2003, 02:07 PM
Hydro sponges are an air driven, stand alone filter.

I also use sponge blocks inside my hang-on-the-back filters (like aqua clear) and as prefilters on the water intake tube of the filters to keep uneaten food and feces from being sucked into the filter.

sponges have lots of area to grow good bacteria and are easy to rinse and reuse.

April
04-06-2003, 03:24 PM
Sponges are the only thing you really need with discus. water changes take care of the rest.
Most people do not use carbon or ammonia inserts etc.
just lots of sponges. and rinse about weekly in aquarium water. squeezing.

GWdiscus
04-06-2003, 04:23 PM
I wish I had found this forum before I set up my tank. I have two large sponges that sit on the floor of the aquarium, a real pain to clean around. I was looking for the sponges that sit on a stand like the ones that Ardan posted a link to. They look like they would be much easier to clean around.
Also, the sponge trick that Carol is talking about putting on the intake of an outside filter works great and seems to be really helping.
Michael